Getting Q & A Section to Match Theme Design

I'm having the hardest time getting the Q & A plugin customized to match my theme. Before downloading this, i saw that we can customize the look, to match our theme. It tried to follow the instructions, but ended up crashing the site. No fun. lol.
If someone could help, that would be MUCH appreciated.

Thank you!!!!

Will
http://www.comicbooked.com

• Comic Booked
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

http://www.comicbooked.com

I just tried the changes that are listed in the usage section. When i did this, I must have totally messed something up, because i couldn't get back into the site. I had to use FTP to remove the plugin. Reinstalled now, and REALLY hoping that I can get this thing working.
    If it is easier to chat somewhere, we can do that anytime. I appreciate everything you guys do, and hope that we can get this up and running today. Have some VIP's from the industry visiting, and they will be digging into the site. THANK YOU!!!!

• Tom Eagles
    • Syntax Hero

@Comic Booked

Ok where is the Q&A Page located ? try reinstalling it then download the functions.php of your theme. Back it up (save it as a different file name)

To overide the plugins css add this line to the functions.php

add_theme_support( ‘qa_style’ );

Save it and upload via ftp.

Give that a whirl and see what happens.

If worst comes to worst simply rename the original back and upload it again.

Cheers

Tom

• Comic Booked
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Ok, i haven't even got to that point yet....the page right now is a mess, and I can't seem to figure out what's wrong with it.

Take a look. let me know what you think....
    http://www.comicbooked.com/questions/ask/

Then, the other instruction says to add a link to our menu. Don't want to do that yet, as it looks terrible. When adding a link to the menu, right now it would take them to the ask new question area. What I don't see there, is the other question that I just asked. will this page have other questions as well, or should we send our fans to a different page, that has the ability to ask questions, as well as other questions that are out there right now.
    I am really confused, and hope i'm not doing the same to you. I really wish I could just chat with someone.

THANKS!!!!

• Comic Booked
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Sorry i'm certainly nuking this....where do I add that snippet, and I guess more specifically how should it be put into that file? I just added it to the functions.php file of the theme, and saved it. It ended up rendering that snippet live, on the site. lol. Good times. :slight_smile:

• Comic Booked
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

I added that snippet, and it still looks bad. http://www.comicbooked.com/questions/ask/

Bummer you have to crash, but TOTALLY understand. Hopefully someone else is around later tonight.

When I added that code, the current file ended in ?>
    was I correct to delete that, and add the code you posted above? and does it need to be all on same line? Just want to make sure I'm getting things as clear as possible, and that I don't break anything. lol

• Comic Booked
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Example, these are the last few lines of the code from that file....

boxes.php');

//notifies users of updates require('update-notifier.php');
    ?>

That is exactly as it shows when i open the file with filezilla.

• Tom Eagles
    • Syntax Hero

@Comic Booked essentially you just needed to enter the part in line 1 before the closing ?>

I just posted the ?> so you would see it in position.

You could try one final thing add this add_theme_support( ‘qa_script’ ); right above the ine one part so it would look like this.

add_theme_support( ‘qa_script’ );
    ?>

See if that works.

If not i will be online in around in 7 hours or so.

I will try and tag another of our support team to follow this up in the mean time.

Cheers

Tom

• Comic Booked
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Ok, i've added that as well. The end of the theme's function.php file is exactly as you typed above.

Still shows all messed up.

http://www.comicbooked.com/questions/ask/

I would MUCH rather have this questions area JUST be the questions, but have our styling. Something a bit more branded that says Comic Booked Questions....ya know?
    I'm certain that MUCH too ambitious at this point, but I figured I'd bring it up.
    Any other ideas as to what is going on? More than happy to grant access or follow any instructions provided. Thanks!!!!

• Comic Booked
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Ok, that problem with site being broken is fixed. I did remove the two snippets of code you told me to put in. I added them both in, and it didn't change anything. If they are required to continue troubleshooting, I'll add them again.
    This Q & A Section could really do some amazing things for our site. Very excited to get it up and running!!!

• Hakan
    • The Incredible Smush

Hi,

As you have mentioned it, I strongly recommend you to hire a developer.

This is an *intrinsically* difficult plugin as it both creates content and creates its own pages.

I am not sure if there is another plugin example like that.

It is not possible to adapt it to all of the themes available in the market.

Some themes match it perfectly, some of them do not accept it.

Apparently your theme is in the latter class.

So, the wise decision is making it customized to your theme by a dedicated designer.

Cheers,
    Hakan

• Comic Booked
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

I have to say...that is about the LAST thing I expected, after waiting patiently for this "head developer" to stop by and see what's up.
    That said, this is just one, of many, plugins that we've tried that does NOT work.
    I fully understand plugins, and that at times there may be conflicts, things that just don't sync up, etc. But I've never had such a bad run with plugins, especially ones all from the same company. I'm paying for this service, and thus far I have to say I'm rather disappointed. I'm very happy with the amount of activity in this discussion, and Tom, I appreciate you actually giving me some tips to try and get the plugin to work.

I am going to reassess my relationship with WPMU, to determine if I should even remain a member. Not the answer I was looking for today, so excited to get our Q & A section ready and rolling. Thanks.

• Tom Eagles
    • Syntax Hero

@Comic Booked

There is one more thing you could try, it would involve editing the templates though you could copy the default templates into your theme and modify them to match your div structures etc.

they can be found in the default-templates folder.

Cheers

Tom

• Hakan
    • The Incredible Smush

Hi,

I always speak clearly. This IS a difficult plugin to adapt to your theme in some cases.

If you cannot do it yourself (which turned about to be so), you should consider hiring someone.

We tried to help as far as we can, but some adaptations require dedicated work.

Cheers,
    Hakan

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.