Getting rid of the remains of a Theme

I tried to use Scholar. I did not break anything when, after much study, it appeared to me as a murky mess. I read the documentation, I looked at all the options and I never figured out how to achieve the results in the example shown on it's main page.

I deleted it.
I installed a new theme.

Now when I go to my primary site in a multisite install, all the stuff from Scholar is still there. Oh joy, do I care? How to make it go away? (I can't delete and re-initialize the primary site, WP says NO!)

Chris

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Chris,

Sorry you are having trouble removing the remains of the Scholar theme.

FTP into your installation and remove the remainder manually using FTP and you will find any remains listed in its folder in the /wp-contents/themes/

Just delete the scholar folder and its contents only.

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev Community Member!

Cheers, Joe

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Chris,

Thank you for letting us know.

To avoid future contamination of your database for whatever reason, you may want to take snapshots of the database at intervals so that you can easily recover from these kinds of incidents and the Snapshot plugin should be able to do the just the job you need done.

Have a GREAT weekend!

Cheers, Joe

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Chris,

Fantastic sir, it should indeed save you a lot of grief and it would probably be in your best interest to run it right before a new plugin installation or running updates.

Thank you for letting us know sir and may you have an easier time in your internet developments.

Cheers, Joe

• Chris
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Hi Joe,

A quick follow up question.

We took the site down to bare metal. and did a fresh re-install. I installed Snapshot (first the old one, then removed it and installed the update). I also put in your dashboard.

Now it gets interesting. I took a snapshot. It aborted out after the first step and gave me a red message "table_data not set". Since there should be nothing in the db, I think that this may be OK. Am I correct?

Chris

• Chris

Hi Joe,

1. I think that the Snapshot documentation in the Usage tab refers to the last version. The db selection lists do not appear, I can get one of them by specifying what WP tables I want to backup; the second selection does not appear, perhaps because there are none.

2, Somewhere there was (my enfeebled mind recalls) a list of files with the required permissions indicated. I can't find it so I can't check compliance.

3. I tried all the combinations I could think of and No Joy.

For my next trick... ?

Chris

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Chris,

Thank you for your additional clarification which is greatly appreciated.

2, Somewhere there was (my enfeebled mind recalls) a list of files with the required permissions indicated. I can't find it so I can't check compliance.

The file permissions you are referring to are in the network admin dashboard --> Snapshot --> Settings (screen shot below).

1. I think that the Snapshot documentation in the Usage tab refers to the last version. The db selection lists do not appear, I can get one of them by specifying what WP tables I want to backup; the second selection does not appear, perhaps because there are none.

No sir they are still there but now they are apparent when you are setting up a new Snapshot in the "What Tables to Archive" section and selecting Include selected database tables in this Snapshot (screen shot included)

Actually I like the improvement and especially the Include all blog database tables in this archive. This will automatically include new tables. option which is probably the applicable selection for most.

Cheers, Joe

• Chris

Hi Joe,

I checked permissions.
    I ran Snapshot.
    Same error as before.
    I have sent you a private email with the 'keys to the kingdom': all the passwords.

Should I cry now? or should I wait?

Given the problems I have previously had, I consider Snapshot my lifeline. I have stopped doing anything until my lifeline is secure.

Chris

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Chris,

Thank you for your persistence at getting this issue resolved.

Though I have not received an email from you I have kept digging in.

I found that this issue is probably hosting related and has to do with sessions.

Reference:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/table_data-not-set-error#post-290193

The person who was having this issue before had his hosting company fix it somehow though he did not say how nor who the hosting company was - I would like to know which company to see if there is a pattern with their hosting configurations.

So at this point I would contact your host and submit to your host what Paul said about the sessions.

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• Paul
    • The Green Incsub

@Chris, if you are seeing the table data not set error this means there is something not quite right with your PHP sessions setup. Sadly, the current version uses sessions to persist the data about what is part of the archive being crated.

To test things outside of Snapshot and WordPress try add this PHP script to a file in your site root.

https://gist.github.com/4117926

Then surf to that file in your browser. It will provide information about your session save path and if it is writeable and or actually present. If your session save path is not present you will need to contact your hosting. Many times you will be able to override the server PHP settings with a php.ini setting or something in your .htaccess. This of course depends on your hosting setup. They are all different.

• Patrick
    • Support Monkey

Hi @Chris

Just checking in :slight_smile:

I’m guessing that because we haven’t heard back from you that you’ve got your issue worked out via live chat or email, or that we have reached the end of our convo here. If you are still having problems or need any other answers on this particular topic please feel free to come back to this thread at anytime. Just be sure to mark it Not Resolved so we don’t miss it!

This ticket is only being Resolved due to lack of activity. It is by no means an action to avoid, brush off or minimize your issue. We are ready and here if you want to re-open at any time and I apologize in advance for any lack of communication if this ticket is being closed in error.

Thanks for being part of the WPMU DEV Community!

• Chris

Hi Patrick,

Well.. let me say this about that...

(you are to young, but that is a 'Nixon-ism.')

I got rid of the remains of a theme by taking the site down to 'bare metal' and re-building from scratch. That worked.

I also was muttering about where the template files you generated in CustomPress. I was not, nor am I now blind. My ISP had not configured MOD Rewrite on the server correctly. WP could find the templates, AND they did not appear in the theme folder. Oh joy. NOW I understand why you(all) didn't answer my laments.

Chris

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Chris,

Truly good hosts are hard to find and that is probably why my hosting business has been booming due to the incompetence of others in the hosting business and each day I find more of them ... lol

With that said and done and apparently you are on your way again with your WordPress installation and development, is there a pressing matter or has everything been resolved with the fixing of the rewrite rules on the server?

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Chris,

Could you please clarify that issue for me sir?

I admit I came in late on this ticket and of course with rewrite rules being fixed symptoms may have indeed changed.

Please advise in detail if possible exactly what we have going on with child themes and your WordPress installation.

Look forward to hearing form you in any event.

Cheers, Joe

• Chris

Hi Joe,

Because "it is not for mortal men to know" what happened before the FIX, I re-loaded from bare iron. All is well.

I had a problem with a "make a child" plugin. I resolved it with the plugin author: he gave up. I am using Responsive Theme:
    http://themeid.com/responsive-theme/

So...

I make my 'children' by copying the official child theme and editing a few things. Not really pretty AND it works.

So, until my next discovery; all is well.

Chris

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.