Getting set up right - new member

Bear with me as this is going to be long but as detailed as possible ... thanks in advance ...

Found u guys while researching the multisite concept. I currently manage 37 and growing WP sites that are spread out over possibly every hosting company in the US. I have certain needs and things I'd like to accomplish and want to set things up right from the get go. Fast forward and ready to go ...

Here is what I have:
Bluehost pro account - clean slate - nothing installed - (will certainly go the vps or ded route when needed)
1 dedicated ip
1 ssl
wpmudev account
many wordpress sites hosted on several different accounts
skills - designing sites since frontpage extensions lol
lots of coffee and the ability to go without sleep
big ideas
big plans
a willingness to give back to the community

What I'd like/need to accomplish:
1. My company site
Currently up and running and ready to move to new account. I have at least 25 temples for clients to browse (of course urs will be added to the stable). Right now I have them set up as screenshots with sux but would like to have them live previews. Multisite + sub domains for each? Not sure how to accomplish this and request guidance.

2. Client sites
Bring all 37+ individual sites into one multisite network

3. Big plans
I have started conceptual dev on a multisite concept similar to edublog but completely different niche.

Ok, so there it is. Looking for a blueprint of sorts revolving around upfront and ur plugins. Is this possible in one account? Can several multisite installs co-exist? Need more TLDs? My company site is currently the TLD and haven't pointed any others yet.

I'm not concerned about the importing ... more getting the structure right with an eye towards scalability.

Once again, thx for the gracious assistance

• Tyler Postle

Hey Frank,

Welcome to the WPMU DEV community!

Lots of coffee and the ability to go without sleep

Sounds like you would make a great WPMU DEV staff member! :p

1. My company site
    Currently up and running and ready to move to new account. I have at least 25 temples for clients to browse (of course urs will be added to the stable). Right now I have them set up as screenshots with sux but would like to have them live previews. Multisite + sub domains for each? Not sure how to accomplish this and request guidance.

This sounds like a great use of multisite. There is a couple ways I've seen this done. You can have your company site as the primary site and create each subsite as a demo so you would have a setup like this:

mainsite.com

theme1.mainsite.com
    theme2.mainsite.com
    theme3.mainsite.com
    etc.

Or, you could have your mainsite as an individual site on mainsite.com and install a multisite installation in a subdomain at demo.mainsite.com.

The previous example was a sub-domain multisite url structure, this one would be a subdirectory structure and you could do this:

demo.mainsite.com/theme1
    demo.mainsite.com/theme2
    etc.

2. Client sites
    Bring all 37+ individual sites into one multisite network

Multisite may not be a good idea in this case. Are all clients wanting different types of sites? That's where it can get messy, because in order to satisfy each clients requirements you may need to add in different plugins or customized themes etc. and you end up with a big bloated install. If all your clients want a similar type of site then it's likely they will want similar features and in that case it would work great.

I don't mean to turn you away from multisite at all as that's of course what we specialize in, but when working with lots of different clients with different needs you may want to look into something like this: https://wordpress.org/plugins/mainwp/

This allows you to manage several single sites in one centralized spot. You can't manage as much as you can with a multisite, but this way you aren't restricted to everything being on one installation.

Just wanted to mention that option before you get started.

3. Big plans
    I have started conceptual dev on a multisite concept similar to edublog but completely different niche.

In this case you will likely want to check out Pro Sites if you haven't already: https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/pro-sites/

It's what we use on edublogs to manage all the subscriptions and sites.

Is this possible in one account?

In one WordPress install? or one hosting account? It's possible in one WordPress install but you will likely want to do at least 2 or 3 of them and for the hosting account, it is possible to install several multisites on 1 hosting account yes. I would recommend a scalable server as you mentioned.

Can several multisite installs co-exist? Need more TLDs?

You can install multisites on a subdomain. So you wouldn't necessary need more TLD's; however, it sounds like you will want more. You could do 1 for your company site, demo sites, and client sites. So you would have:

mainsite.com
    clientsite1.mainsite.com
    themedemo1.mainsite.com

If you chose to have them all on the same installation, you can domain map your client sites to a TLD of their choice. Then you would just want another TLD and installation for your #3 big plan site.

I'm hoping this has helped clear up some things. Any further questions you have just let us know :slight_smile:

This blog post will likely be helpful too: https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/ultimate-guide-multisite/

Cheers,
    Tyler

• Brooklyn

Welcome to the WPMU DEV community!

Thx!

Or, you could have your mainsite as an individual site on mainsite.com and install a multisite installation in a subdomain at demo.mainsite.com. this one would be a subdirectory structure and you could do this:

demo.mainsite.com/theme1
    demo.mainsite.com/theme2
    etc.

That sounds like the ticket. Probably less drama than each in a sub D.

Multisite may not be a good idea in this case.

Didn't think of that ... good looking out. Yes, tons of different themes plugins etc. My goal with that is more to streamline things for me and save on hosting costs. Sounds like that plug in will prob do the trick.
    Question ... so I'd set each up as a sub D or addon domain? (talking bluehost) Then map them using ur plugin?

In one WordPress install? or one hosting account?

One hosting account. I should have been more specific. Scalability on deck lol

Question ... can u have two TLDs in one hosting account? Like I said, my sites are spread from here to timbuck2 lol so this is uncharted territory.

Thx Tyler

BTW, the ultimate guide is what turned me on to u guys.

• Tyler Postle

Hey Brooklyn,

Thanks for the reply!

Question ... so I'd set each up as a sub D or addon domain? (talking bluehost) Then map them using ur plugin?

Is this in reference to providing clients with their own TLD in a multisite? or making any subsite a TLD for that matter. You would create the subsite and then map it using our domain mapping plugin. If you have a dedicated IP then all you need to do is set the A Record for the domain to your IP and it should work :slight_smile: if you don't have a dedicated IP then you would need to add the domain as an add-on domain on your hosting account.

Question ... can u have two TLDs in one hosting account? Like I said, my sites are spread from here to timbuck2 lol so this is uncharted territory.

Sort of depends on your hosting account, I'm not too familiar with bluehosts packages as I haven't used them before but often you can, I would just contact bluehost to find out for sure before you spend too much time digging. You definitely can inside a multisite with our domain mapping plugin but if you're wanting to have separate installations on a TLD you can ask bluehost on how to set that up, it will differ host to host.

BTW, the ultimate guide is what turned me on to u guys.

Oh that's awesome! There was a similar article here a couple years ago and it was pretty much what brought me here too. I think that one linked above is the updated version of it. I was a member before becoming staff, as many of us were :slight_smile:

If you have any further questions just let us know!

Cheers,
    Tyler

• Brooklyn

Is this in reference to providing clients with their own TLD in a multisite? or making any subsite a TLD for that matter. You would create the subsite and then map it using our domain mapping plugin. If you have a dedicated IP then all you need to do is set the A Record for the domain to your IP and it should work :slight_smile: if you don't have a dedicated IP then you would need to add the domain as an add-on domain on your hosting account.

WIN. thx

Sort of depends on your hosting account, I'm not too familiar with bluehosts packages as I haven't used them before but often you can, I would just contact bluehost to find out for sure before you spend too much time digging. You definitely can inside a multisite with our domain mapping plugin but if you're wanting to have separate installations on a TLD you can ask bluehost on how to set that up, it will differ host to host.

I reached out to Bluehost and they treat addon like another tld in shared acct and map it on their side. Cool deal
    Sidenote ... daytime guys at BH are crazy helpful. nitetime cats ... not too much.
    I'm about to pull the trigger and dive in ... it's only 11:28pm lol
    Thx T

• Brooklyn

Yeah, no ringing phone no bla bla bla just concentration. Still cool at night here in Vegas too.

So far so good. The blueprint u helped me settle on is up and running smooth including that admin panel plugin u turned me on to. If it helps anyone ... install it on a fresh WP install on a fresh sub D and smooth sailing.

Gonna start importing sites tonight then on to my 2 multisite installs.
    U da man

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.