Getting the following error from wp-links-opml

XML Parsing Error: not well-formed
Line Number 4, Column 20: <title>Links for Vitalizer Plus .Org</title>
---------------------------------^

how do I get around this and export my links and link categories. I'm moving the entire site to a multi site install and links were not tranfered with the rest of the site so I have no link this should give them back to me but getting the error above. any assistance with this would be helpful.

• Tyler Postle

Hey Leonard,

Hope you're doing well and thanks for your question!

did you add the spaces in your url there just for this post?

This could be due to some conflicting plugins or your theme. Can you switch to the default 2014 theme and temporarily deactivate all your plugins to see if it resolves the issue?

When you save you moved the entire site into a multisite and the links weren't transferred do you mean that links are still pointing to your old install? Have you done a search and replace in your database? To change all old links to the new ones?

Sorry if I'm misunderstanding the question here. Look forward to hearing back!

All the best,
    Tyler

• Leonard

first question did I add spaces to the title ? not for this but yes for the title of the site. should I have use underscores and would they be handles properly as space upon the display of the title?
    I use the wordpress export for everything else but it does not include links or link categories. at least I have never found it to do so over the past 5 years. why I have know idea. I would have thought the wordpress export would offer all links categories pages posts and anything else but I have been proved wrong by the application in the past as well as today. what I don't understand is this is or should be the same tool I used to set up this site and about 60 others and this is the first time I have gotten this error regardless of the way the title was set. why is this suddenly an issue?
    links are all external as far as I know or should be so they should be passed to the data file and then the data file imported by the new site location. then I can use the links widget to place the favorite link category at the bottom of the page.

• Leonard

all sites also use the same plugins and themes. so It baffles me.

I'm not looking forward to changing the theme because I will need to rebuild the home page widgets again and most are text boxes manually coded. also will the link plugin work on the import on muti-site with all of the same plugins plus others that are only available in multi-site if not then is there a plugin for importing a standard single site install into a multi-site install?
    I gonna call it a night shortly but I'm watching for your reply for another 15 minutes.

• Tyler Postle

Hey Leonard,

My mistake, I misunderstood, for some reason I thought you were moving the database too, but that wouldn't make much sense if you're moving it into a multisite.

So you used the WordPress export/import tool and the links are still pointing to the old site?

Which link plugin are you referring too?

I would try using our snapshot plugin, many have no problem using it to import a single site into a multisite :slight_smile: It might make this job much easier for you.

Just create a brand new subsite on your network then upload the snapshot file you take from your single site into your multisites snapshot folder and restore the snapshot to your new plain subsite through the snapshot options.

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/snapshot/

Make a backup of your network first just to be safe, it's always a good idea when doing anything that involves exporting/importing database tables.

Let me know if this method works out for you :slight_smile: I've done it myself without any issues.

Look forward to hearing back!

All the best,
    Tyler

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.