Getting the search box to show + other things

We’re considering using Google Custom Search for our searching needs of users, but not sure how to get the search box to show up. Any wisdom? The installation guide didn’t cover this.

Here’s a screenshot of my config:

http://d.pr/i/oztR/4HhRa7ks

Also, we have search engine indexing turned off until launch. Wouldn’t want any duplicate content SEO penalties to hit us. Will we still be able to test out the search before launching?

I guess what I’m asking is…

“WIth indexing off, will GCS still index us. And if yes, does the indexed content show up in Google’s public SERPs?”

The main reason we’re considering this in the first place is an easier way to index *ALL* content on the site. We have custom post types, custom fields, etc…which makes me think WordPress’ built-in search won’t properly index all content on the website.

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Will Ashworth,

Thank you for bringing this up.

but not sure how to get the search box to show up. Any wisdom?

Certainly Will – it is a widget and you determine the way the widget will display your search result by choosing an option from the widget in the dashboard widget area. Screen shot below.

WIth indexing off, will GCS still index us. And if yes, does the indexed content show up in Google’s public SERPs?

With indexing of pages off then Google is not going to be able to index the page or pages that indexing is of on and it is possible the indexed content will show up in Googles serps but there is no guarantee of this as Google clearly indicates they do not guarantee any results for any web site will display except on paid advertising and the TOS on that is shaky as well.

Have a GREAT weekend and thank you for being a WPMU DEV Community Member!

Cheers, Joe

• Will Ashworth
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Hi Joe –

Thanks for the response. The concern I have is that this template doesn’t have any sidebar enabled (for the near future). We’re using WordPress as a custom CMS, but the search box is in the header.

Any ideas on how I might place the search box in the header instead of as a widget?

Maybe there’s a static form snippet of code that I can use. Thanks for your help!

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Will Ashworth,

I will go ahead and ask the lead developer Cole to pop in here to let us know if there is indeed any way to make this work as you have described without too much trouble or coding.

Though this may take a bit longer then a normal ticket, I will try to get him in here asap.

Cheers, Joe

• Will Ashworth

Any update on a developer taking a look at this?

If we can reach resolution by EOD, that would be preferred. I have a deadline and will probably be working late, but sometime during business hours today would be great.

I need to search for alternatives if this won’t cover what we’re after. Thanks for your help!

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Will Ashworth,

Sorry to report sir that I have no idea when this lead developer will make his way in here due to I do not know how many folks are awaiting in front of our (yours and my) ticket nor the work load he has before him.

I can assure you however that I have indeed flagged him to this ticket as originally indicated.

I need to search for alternatives if this won’t cover what we’re after.

This may be a wise thing to do in any event considering that he may indeed give us a negative response and then an alternative will need to be found anyway.

Hopefully he will have the opportunity to make it in here sooner then later.

Cheers, Joe

• Will Ashworth

Thanks Joe. I appreciate your help.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t this why we “pay” for membership? For support?

The devs need to up their game, as this isn’t a cheap membership when compared to others out there. Just my 2c.

4+ days for a response from the person who needs to answer isn’t stellar.

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Will Ashworth,

Thank you for the feedback and I will be certain to pass it along.

I do not know what more I can do at this point to get his attention, though I know the lead developers including @cole have been pummeled with tickets following the recent releases of WordPress 3.5 and Buddy Press 1.6.2

Hopefully he will make it in here sooner then later.

Cheers, Joe

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Will Ashworth,

Sending another flag out to the lead developer @cole and welcoming him back after dealing with some consecutive family tragedies. Glad you made it back and you are safe Cole and these folks need attention asap.

Sending the SOS to this ticket.

Cheers, Joe

• Cole
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Hey Will,

Sorry for the delay here. Lets get straight into the issue.

I would think you can ask CGS to index a sitemap explicitly without having to turn on robots.txt, especially if you have analytics and webmaster tools hooked up.

I had a much lengthier response and then lost my reply to a random black hole in the forums. It seems you got a decent handle on that stuff, but If you need some further clarification let me know.

We will need to make some code adjustments to get the search box in your theme. I will be sure to include these in any future release so you won’t have to worry about upgrading the plugin and losing the changes.

At the very bottom of custom-google-search.php replace

$custom_google_search = &new CustomGoogleSearch();

WITH

global $custom_google_search;
    $custom_google_search = &new CustomGoogleSearch();

Then in your theme file use this to print the box.

<?php
    global $custom_google_search;
    $args = array('display_results' => 1);
    echo $custom_google_search->generate_search_box($args);
    ?>

You can change the display_results between 1,2 and 3. There may need to be additional tweaks depending on the functionality you wanted for search in that particular location. If so just let me know and I will help you get it fixed.

Again, thanks for your patience and understanding. Hope this gets us on the right track.

• Will Ashworth

Hi Cole –

Great explanation of this. Thank you.

For this project, we had no choice but to go and do a custom “sitesearch” integration with the delay we had experienced in getting this figured out, but knowing how to do this with future projects will now make the task a bit easier.

Appreciate your help on this.

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Will Ashworth,

Thank you for letting us know and happy that you will be able to apply this in one of your upcoming projects.

We are indeed sorry for the delay with a qualified answer to the issue you were experiencing on the one install.

You should experience quicker turn around times in the future now that a series on unfortunate events has passed.

Thank you for being a WPMU DEV Community Member!

Cheers, Joe

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.