Stuck on "Preparing Image"

Getting very frustrated working with this Upfront interface. For some reason I'm now randomly stuck at "Preparing image" on every attempt to upload (or even attach) an image from the media gallery as a background. Multiple images and file types have been tested, including smaller images. Would greatly appreciate some direction as to what's going on.

• Aicee Taguilaso
    • WordPress Warrior

Hi Chris!

Welcome to WPMU Dev community!
    I'm sorry about the problem that you are having. :slight_frown:

I've tried this on my own site and it just took me 5 seconds to change my background image.
    I'd love to take a look on your site, would you mind granting support access?
    You can do that from: Admin Dashboard -> WPMU DEV -> Support -> Support Access Tab
    See https://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wpmu-dev-dashboard-enabling-staff-login/

Thanks, Chris!

Regards,
    Aicee

• chris
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Access has been granted. I didn't have any issues changing my background image either until just within the past 12 hours. Have tried flushing the cache as well as trying on several other browsers. All react the same way.

• Aicee Taguilaso
    • WordPress Warrior

Hi Chris! :slight_smile:

With that said, have you maybe changed anything in the past 12 hours? Maybe, installed/activated some plugins? If you did, could you try deactivating it, refresh, clear the cache and try again? It'll be good as well if you could do a full plugin conflict test here, by deactivating all of your plugins, just to see if there' any plugin causing the issue. See the flowchart here: https://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/using-wpmu-dev/getting-support/

I have tried changing one of the background images on your site using the Media gallery, and it works fine with me. Please see screenshot. However, it really took me some time on "Preparing Image" page, maybe around 15 seconds, which I can say, is really too long. :slight_frown:

Also, are you maybe using Cloudflare or something similar? Those kinds of CDN sometimes affect the loading speed. You can ask your host if you're unsure of this.

Looking forward to your response. :slight_smile:

Regards,
    Aicee

• chris
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Were you testing directly on our server's environment? I'm not sure how your testing process works specifically but we have been unable to reproduce the error on other server environments. If you did test within this server's environment though, all of the plugins and settings should have been retained. We've added no additional plugins outside of the defaults for the Upfront Spirit theme except for the standard WP DB migration tool (which has not caused these issues before).

We're not set up for Cloudflare's services. The "Processing Image" has been left running for upwards 20 minutes on a 100kb file with no progress. There's definitely something else going on here. Is there a specific chmod that needs to be configured for the Upfront framework to have access to modify/write these files? Almost appears as though it's a permissions issue.

• Aicee Taguilaso
    • WordPress Warrior

Hi Chris!

I tested it directly on your site using the support access you granted and yes, with all your plugins on the same place. And I have successfully changed the background image through your media gallery, as you can see on the screenshot I provided earlier, but it took a while.

May I know who your host is? There might be a case where your host processed the images for creating thumbnails and metadata but it took longer and we got a limit time out scenario.

Could you check and share your error logs?

Thanks!

Regards,
    Aicee

• Ash
      • WordPress Hacker

Hey there.

Thanks for posting in this thread, however it might be best if you open your own, even if the issues seem closely related. That way it will remain independent of this one and ensure it doesn't confuse issues here if this thread needs reopening again by the author.

It also means the member who started this thread or anyone following it isn't inundated with post notifications each time we respond to each other. A lengthy thread could annoy the original poster.

This also allows us to better track and answer your questions to ensure we don't miss any for you.

You can start a new thread here:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/#question

Thanks
      Ash

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.