Getting WordPress > Error "Sorry, you are not allowed to access this page." on admin ho

I am getting this error "Sorry, you are not allowed to access this page." on admin home only. I mean on https://***-awakening.com/wp-admin/ page only. Other pages are OK. Please help me to fix this.

https://static.livechatinc.com/8801096/P3BA8NTX30/ccd11a26e1a5e879a8bc29677fa2d900/Screen%20Shot%202018-01-28%20at%205.57.34%20PM.png

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi Amie,

Hope you're doing well.

It looks like there's something on your site that's intended to disable wp-admin, it's not only that the page is unaccessible but your also missing Dashboard > Home panel in your admin section.

I checked the stuff that could be causing this, wp-config.php, .htaccess, security plugin, child theme code, etc. but none of them suggest that the panel is hidden from there.

I did notice that your installation has some files that are not part of the default WP installation and it looks like it's added by your hosting provider, it's possible that some of those are causing this.
    I would suggest getting in touch with your hosting provider so they can check their WP installer files and other hosting related files to see if any of them are the issue.

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Amie

Hello,

Thanks for your help- this problem started when I downloaded the the wpmudev plugin and added membership pro 2. I reset my website to an earlier version when i didn't have this problem (or your plugins) and when I activated your plugins (the main wpmudev and membership pro plugins) is when the issue started up again. Since I did this test, I am thinking my host files are not related to this issue. Would you please look into why your plugins may not be compatible with my wordpress site and why it may be keeping me from accessing wp-admin? I can also open a support ticket with my host to make sure all bases are covered.

Thanks so much!

• Amie

GOOD NEWS: I FIGURED OUT THE ISSUE!! But I still need a solution :slight_smile:

After spending hours talking to my hosting company I realized that was not the problem. Its a plugin issue, even though I checked all the plugins there was one thing I didn't do- I didn't test my old membership plugin (S2 member) individually. When I deactivated S2 member it caused the error message. When I reactivated it, my site went back to normal. S2 member is keeping me from cleanly deleting the plugin. I contacted their forum support but because they aren't very responsive I am not sure I will get the help I need through them. The reason I was deleting them and wanting to use your Membership Pro plugin is because S2 member was given me user email activation issues as well. So now I feel pretty stuck. I can't use two membership plugins and I really want to use Membership Pro.

Would you be able to look at my S2 member settings to see if there is a setting that needs to be added or changed so I can deactivate it? I am afraid I will mess things up since I am not super tech savvy (although I am amazed I figured this out on my own). I will try to use Membership Pro in the meantime but I am assuming that it will not work well with S2 member running in the background too.

Please let me know how to best move forward

Thank you!!!

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi Amie,

That's really useful info, I didn't check for the plugin conflict as I understood from chat that this was already performed.

And you did find a culprit, it was S2Member causing the issue, to be more specific it was "Redirect Members away from the Default Profile Panel?" option from s2Member > General Settings > Member Profile Modifications section.

Once I turned that off the wp-admin page started working again and you can also see Dashboard > Home link now.

When I deactivated S2 member it caused the error message.

Do you know what the error message was?
    What were the "symptoms" after it was deactivated, did it only show errors or it broke some functionality on your site?

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Amie

hello,

Thanks for your help- I am sorry I wasn't very clear about the error message. The message I am referring to is the "sorry you are not allowed to access this page" when I try to login using wp-admin. When S2 member is activated is when my site works fine. Let me know if I need to provide more clarification. I am a little confused by your response- are you saying that the S2 member problem is fixed when you turn off the "Redirect Members away from the Default Profile Panel" option? I'll wait to hear back from you. I appreciate all your assistance!

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi Amie,

There's something strange going on there so no wonder you were confused.

When I checked your site previously I wasn't able to access wp-admin but after disabling the above mentioned option I was able to do so.
    However when I check your site now, the wp-admin is accessible regardless if this option is on or off, and it's only inaccessible if I disable s2member plugin.

Perhaps clearing s2member data will do the trick, but before you continue please make sure you have a full backup ready.
    Go to s2member > General Options > Plugin Deletion Safeguards and disable safeguard.
    Now disable and delete the plugin so it clears all of its data and see if you can access wp-admin after that.

Let us know how it goes.

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Amie

I had to add S2 member again (this time without the same settings as before) and just like before- the wp-admin page came back. This plugin is almost forcing me to keep it :slight_smile: Please help me work through this...I want to use membership 2 Plugin and when I have both activated it causes other page direction issues. It's like as soon as I solve one issue, it creates another.

I really appreciate your assistance!

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi Amie,

I tried anything I could think of on your installation but I still can't find out what's going on.
    But something did cross my mind during the latest test, what if the s2Member is not the cause of the issue, but rather just fixes the existing issue?

I'm thinking this because your Dashboard page is acting strange in general, it has duplicate BuddyPress and bbPress welcome pages when s2 is disabled, and if you disable BuddyPress and bbPress the Dashboard menu item is completely gone.

It's like it is only there when some plugin uses it, so I think that s2 is actually adding the correct Dashboard items and fixes your problem.

Now, the question is why this is happening in first place but I don't see anything in your installation that would give us a clear answer.
    However while looking at your WordPress files I did notice some non-standard files in there and based on those it looks like your host is using some installation script or something similar to install WordPress, and I'm thinking that this could be causing it.

I would suggest discussing this with your hosting provider and see if they had these reports before and if their installation script might be causing this.

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Amie

That is very interesting! I don't know if this is easily fixable or not. I did contact Hostgator a week or so ago and they told my installation looks perfectly fine...and that there are no issues on their end. is there a way that you know of to fix the installation script without it messing up what I have already done to my website? I can try to reach our to my host again but they have not been helpful so far.

I am also concerned now because YOUR plugin no longer shows on my dashboard even though it says its activated. All this strange stuff really has me perplexed. It almost makes me think I have to start completely over with my website to make it useable again.

Any feedback on this would be so helpful! Thank you!

• Amie

Well...unfortunately I spent 2 hours on the phone with Hostgator and they transferred me all over the place and still couldn't find a resolution... They told me the scripts you mentioned could be malware but they said they don't know for sure. They keep telling me they don't have the answers and that they cant see anything wrong on their end. I activated my site to a backup from November 2017 to see if that might help and it didn't. I am at a complete loss. I am afraid my business is over for good and there is nothing I can do to fix this.

I've gotten to the point where I am about to give up. This has been plaguing me for months and months and I am beyond exhausted. Do I need to create a new Wordpress installation and start completely over? I would love to keep working with you on this and continue to pay for this service but I need a lot of help in order to move forward.

Please let me know what you suggest and how you might be able to help, thank you.

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi Amie,

I'm not very familiar with Hostgator hosting to be honest, I just noticed that there are some of their files in there that suggest that WordPress wasn't installed manually but instead it used some of the installation script or something like that.
    That's common thing with number of hosting providers but unfortunately I saw them causing different kinds of issues from time to time.

I am also concerned now because YOUR plugin no longer shows on my dashboard even though it says its activated. All this strange stuff really has me perplexed. It almost makes me think I have to start completely over with my website to make it useable again.

Are you referring to WPMU DEV Dashboard plugin?
    If so, please note that WPMU DEV panel is shown only to the admin account that activated the plugin, it could be that it got messed up during the restore process if you had different admin account in the past.
    So regarding that, go to your plugins panel, deactivate WPMU DEV plugin, re-activate it and it should be showing again.

Back to the issue on hand, I wouldn't suggest starting from scratch, but I would suggest re-installing WordPress, but keeping the current setup.
    Before doing any of that please make sure that you have full backup of your site.
    First thing that you would need to do is to go to wordpress.org and download clean installation of WordPress.

Now access your server installation via FTP and check the files in there and compare them to the ones from clean installation.
    If you have some that are not in the clean installation then I would suggest removing those first, give your WP admin a try now, but I doubt it will make much difference.
    If the issue is still there then continue with re-installing WP.
    Remove all the files except for the wp-content folder, wp-config.php and .htaccess files.
    Now upload the files from the clean installation, except for the wp-content folder of course, so it doesn't overwrite your existing one.

Check your WP admin now and that should tell us if the issue was indeed related to your installation itself.

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Amie

Hello,

Thanks for all your help- I didn't need to follow the instructions you suggested, luckily I discovered what the issue was. It was a plugin issue between S2 member and Buddypress. The user roles were being confused when I disabled S2 member. I had someone fix it and I no longer have the issue with the wp-admin page giving me that error. I am guessing this means that my Wordpress installation is fine? I don't want to do anything to the Wordpress installation since things are working now.

However...I have downloaded Memberpress as a new membership plugin and I am having some difficulties in getting the email set up. Would you be able to help with this?

I am also looking for guidance and support as I discover the best plugins for my website. Member press works very well with Buddypress and Learn Dash and Event Espresso (which I will be getting in the near future). These are the main plugins that I need to run my site. Would you be able to offer guidance on if this is a smart choice and how to go about configuring these together so I don't run into anymore plugin communication problems?

Thank you so much for your assistance!
    Amie

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi Amie,

Glad to hear you managed to sort it out, I must say that I'm kinda surprised that the capability changes would have such effect on WP even when the plugin is disabled.

Since MemberPress is a third party plugin I'm afraid that we're not much familiar with it and how it works/behaves with the other plugins like BuddyPress, Learn Dash and Event Espresso.

I would suggest checking plugin guides for integrations and usage, you can find them here:
    https://memberpress.com/integrations/
    https://docs.memberpress.com/

And for any additional questions it would be best getting in touch with their support agents, we can try assisting with some basic configuration, but since they are fully familiar with their product they can provide you with more precise answers.

Best regards,
    Predrag

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.