Give super admin rights to a client

Hello

I want to give my client superadmin rights for a site, but not my main site. I want my client to be able to create their own network of sites like a super admin, the way I can do it as the superadmin.

Do I have to start my client of fresh with their own domain name separate from my installation on my domain? I assumed I could just create a subdomain site for my client and then my client could create their own sites. But now I see it doesn't look like that is possible because you can't create a subdomain site from a subdomain site.

Right now I just want to give them a demo to show them the possibilities.

Dustin

• dustin

Sue
    Thanks for your feedback. Do you know if it were even possible to do on my own domain? Could I create a network, where users can create their own networks of sites? I am not sure how it would work because when I give a user their site, it is a subdomain site. So you can create more subdomain sites from a subdomain sites. Are there any work arounds for this?

I guess I can set it up so that when you sign up you get your own domain.

I also want to allow access between networks. For example, client 1 sets up their network. Client 2 sets up their own network. Users from client 1 can get access to the network of client 2, vice versa. With more combinations as the networks grow.

Dustin

• DavidM

Hi Dustin,

Sue asked me to have a look with you on some of these questions and I just wanted to mention, to start with, there are a number of plugins that allow you to create multi-networks within WordPress, like the following:
    http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/wp-multi-network/

It's not something we can guarantee compatibility with the plugins and themes here for, but I haven't really heard complaints regarding it.

I'm not really sure how access between those networks would work though, as I've not yet tried those network plugins out myself as yet.

As for an Edublogs type setup, you could let users create sub-domains on your site (assuming your host allows for wildcard sub-domains), and that would pretty much replicate the standard account.

Teachers in that case would just setup a main blog and teachers could then create sub-domain blogs for their students using something like the Blog and User Creator plugin.
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/blog-and-user-creator

Potentially, you could use the Multi-Domain plugin to allow teachers to create a sub-domain then create student blogs on those sub-domains. I don't believe Edublogs does it this way, but it would be another option you could provide.
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/multi-domains

Campus accounts might be possible using the multi-network plugins, though I'm not totally sure about that, as I've not worked with those plugins. In any case though, the Campus type of account could be done separately, on an individual basis.

Hope this helps a bit! :slight_smile:

Cheers,
    David

• Sue

Hi Dustin

Just following up on your question regarding Edublogs Pro.

Edublogs Pro is different from Edublogs Campus. Edublogs Pro are blogs hosted on Edublogs.org that have been upgraded to have extra features using our Pro sites plugin (https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/pro-sites) . Whereas Edublogs Campus is where a teacher, school, school district or University has their own WordPress multisite hosted on their own domain.

With both Edublogs Pro and Edublogs Campus teachers can choose to have their own class blog and add parents/students to that class blog. Or each student can how their own student blog. Where they have their own student blogs they'll often use the class blog to link them all together.

Edublogs Campus sites have more features so there are more ways teachers can connect their student blogs and manage them.

Hope this has helped.

Sue

• dustin

I am not sure if I should post a new support ticket for the following question, or if it is best to keep all related questions together in the same thread....

My question is regarding the domain mapping plugin. I don't think I am completely clear on its purpose.

If I am setting up an EduBlogs Pro type of arrangement where all sites are hosted on the main domain, like Edublogs.org; Would domain mapping only give you the option of having your own custom domain name while still being forced to remain within the Edublogs framework? So even if I had my own domain, there would be links at the top navigation which would link back to the main Edublogs.org type of site?

Would this mean that if I have a client that wants more control over their branding etc, it would be better to start off building their network on their own domain, rather than on the main Edublogs type of framework? And if I did it this way, is there a plugin available which would 'connect' their site with the other main network? Could I set it up so that some users who are logged in at the client's branded site can automatically be logged into the main Edublogs.org type of site?

If this is the case, the last thing I need to figure out is whether the WP-multi networks plugin will allow me to keep everything all on one main network. But I am not sure what the advantage to that would be. I might as well just put such clients on their own domain with their own Cpanel etc.

Dustin

• dustin

Sue,

I have another question regarding what you said below. If I am using the blog and user creation plugin, can users also be created organically through sign ups through the membership plugin?

Who decides if students get their own blog? Would I set up students first and then they would decide if they want a blog/site? Would each of these student blogs/sites also have the option for the membership plugin and other plugins? Could each of these students start creating their own networks with memberships etc? If so, could this go on and on with networks upon networks being created?

With both Edublogs Pro and Edublogs Campus teachers can choose to have their own class blog and add parents/students to that class blog. Or each student can how their own student blog. Where they have their own student blogs they'll often use the class blog to link them all together.

• Sue

Hi Dustin

I've attached a screenshot that hopefully highlights the difference between the Edublogs blogs. It is also worth checking out the comparison guide - http://edublogs.org/why-edublogs/#select The best way to see free vs Pro in action is to sign up for a free Edublogs.org blog - http://edublogs.org/signup/

We don't offer membership plugin on Edublogs.org. It's best to start a new support ticket for the membership plugin questions as it is easy for multiple questions on different plugins to be missed in the one thread.

The domain mapping we use on Edublogs.org is designed so that each user can map their blog to their own domain. For example, my blog is mapped to suewaters.com but it is hosted on Edublogs.org. The only reason you see links back to Edublogs.org on it is because I choose to have links.

But the WPMU DEV domain mapping plugin is different from what we use on Edublogs.org. I'd start a new support request for the domain mapping so others can share their thoughts.

The Blog & User creator is an Edublogs Pro feature only on Edublogs.org. Also access to most plugins is Edublogs Pro only.

Students don't normally have Pro blogs and it is generally the teachers who use this to create the student blogs. As a general rule it is the teacher who decides if the student has their own blog or not.

Sue

• Sue

Hi Dustin

You will see the Blog and User menu item in your dashboard but when you go to it you will see a message saying you need to upgrade to Edublogs Pro to be able to use.

That cool logo is thanks to Ronnie, my work colleague! It was his idea to develop a custom admin bar that uses that logo and links to our support sites. It has been released on WPMU DEV here - https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/custom-admin-bar

We don't use a plugin for support. Our Pro users can email us for Premium support using the form inside their dashboard (Pro > Premium Support) which is controlled by the Pro sites plugin.

Our regular users can contact us using the contact form on our site.

Sue

• DavidM

Hi marikamitsos,

Just stepping in for a moment!

Sue would know better as to more precisely how it's done there but that can actually be done by customizing the user roles and capabilities. As an example, you can create a user role that has nearly exactly the same capabilities as Super Admin, except for the ability to install plugins or themes.

These capabilities and all the default user roles in relation to them are detailed here for reference:
    http://codex.wordpress.org/Roles_and_Capabilities

@Dustin, I just noticed one of your prior questions regarding the Membership plugin and yes, Membership can be used on a per site basis. Edublogs doesn't appear to use that, but it can be done, and/or offered as a premium plugin, for instance.

Cheers,
    David

• Sue

Hi marikamitsos,

Ability to upload themes and plugins has been disabled for all user and they have to be installed using SSH.

We have done this two ways:

1. Moha created a custom plugin that removes the capability from all users which prevents them from being able to do it within the dashboard.
    2. Ve created a custom plugin (known as sticky fingers plugin) which hides all functionality we don't them be able to either touch or think they might want to touch (and send us an email to ask why when it won't work).

The sticky fingers plugin is important for us in terms of it minimizes the chances of them causing issues to their site. So for example it hides the links for all other super admin users besides us so they can't see the Edit or delete site links, the link to install themes or plugins, the theme editor and the plugin editor. All of which have the potential to cause problems and support issues.

Hope this information has helped.

Sue

• marikamitsos

Sticky Fingers. mmmmm
    Sue. I like the sound of it. Very sweet. Or is it just that Ve is a life long Rolling Stones fan? OK then. Lets rock. hahaha

Now seriously. That sounds like a great plugin. But.
    You mention the word hide. I personally do NOT like to hide things from users. Hidden things can be discovered and misused. I prefer disabling them in secure ways. I mentioned this on another thread published some time ago. So my question still remains the same. Does it hide or completely and securely disables?

About moha's plugin. Does it do the same (or similar or even in a better way) job as the User Role Editor plugin (or maybe the Role Scoper)? Does it work with mapped (to sub-directories) domains?
    In any case do you think he would care of sharing it?

@ Dustin Mattison as well.
    I used the Role Scoper sometime in the past but didn't quite liked the feel of it (can't recall why just now).
    The User Role Editor provides the ability of creating "custom" users (but not super admins though).It does so either by adding brand new roles from scratch or by adding extra capabilities to the existing ones. It works extremely well out of the box. You also get an option to apply your customizations network wide.
    Then again there is the Extended Super Admins plugin that does wonders with super admins giving you the ability to create "Lighter Admins".

Keep in mind (I repeat) that User Role Editor has an additive behavior to roles (super admins excluded) while Extended Super Admins has a subtractive one from super admins only..

I hope that helps you a bit. And anyway, I thought they could be relevant. :slight_smile:
    Please let me know of your thoughts Sue.

Thanks again.

• Sue

Hi marikamitsos,

Occasionally they let me name a plugin so that is how it got the name Sticky Fingers plugin.

The plugin works mostly by hiding it. Unfortunately we discovered on an earlier version of WPMU that disabling functions like ability to edit site by an admin user can cause problems with site creations.

For our type of admin users this is sufficient and we're no longer having to deal with the support issues that it created previously.

Moha's plugin works well but I'm not sure how it compares to the other plugins. I'll follow this up with him for you.

Sue

• dustin

Sue or David

Regarding adding custom logos to the admin area, I am not sure if this plugin https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/custom-admin-bar along with the custom login logo plugin will conflict with this while label plugin: http://plugins.righthere.com/white-label-branding-multisite/

Do you have any experience with this one? It looks like the white label plugin can do some additional things. I am not sure if all of these things are already covered in current WPMU plugins.

Dustin

• Jouni Salo

Just my 5 cents on running multiple sites.

I have succesfully run a separate MU instance for a subdomain ("blogs.something.com") and another for the actual domain ("something.com"). This is trivial to do using Apache and having the DNS wildcards set up to point to your server. The only actual trick to it is the order in which each site's configuration is read by Apache. You need to load the subdomain first and then the actual domain. Apache will try to match requests from the browsers in the load order so if my.blogs.something.com matches the host on the subdomain install those requests always get served by MU on blogs.something.com. If the request is not for blogs.something.com then it will fall through to the something.com instance.

I run debian and I simply do this by assigning a number to each site and create symbolic links from /etc/apache2/sites-enabled to configurations is /etc/apache2/sites-available. Like this:

cd /etc/apache2/sites-available
    ln -s ../sites-enabled/blogs.something.com.conf 200-blogs.something.com
    ln -s ../sites-enabled/something.com.conf 220-blogs.something.com

Apache2 will look in the sites-eavilable folder and loads configurations in the alphabetical order so 200-* will come up before 220-*.

Each site configuration uses the virtual host setup like this:

<VirtualHost *>
    ServerName blogs.something.com
    ServerAlias *.blogs.something.com
    </VirtualHost>

This way both MU instances are completely separate from each other. Of course, if you want to share plugins, themes and other folders it is just a matter of pointing symbolic links to some shared folder if that is what you want to do.

• Sue

Hi Dustin

The White label branding for WordPress MS does do additional things compared to our custom admin bar. We haven't used their plugin so we don't know if together it would cause an issue.

The 'User Role Editor' is a plugin you can download from the WordPress.org and we haven't released Moha's 'Remove Admin Capabilities' plugin on WPMU DEV.

Assume you mean the Upgrade up to 50 student blogs under the Pro menu item? You can change this menu item into whatever you want to call it by changing the text under disable ads in Pro Sites > Settings in the network admin dashboard.

• dustin

Sue,

Thanks for your help..In the Edublogs dashboard, custom content widget area where it says getting started with Edublogs. The first option is write a brand new post. How did you create the html code so that when someone clicks on the link it creates a new post? The same question goes for creating pages. And how to do it for the appearance and plugins sections?

For the creating blogs for students section, are using a plugin function, or did you do something else to get that tabbed page? What html code do I use to do this in the custom content widget area? Same questions for enabling Pro features and upgrading to Pro.

How did you change the Send Invites label to say "Promote Your Blog"?

Finally, for the Getting Started with Edublogs guides in pdf form, are there standard pdfs or files we can use and modify, just like the white label instructional videos?

Dustin

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.