global categories and tags in multisite

Hi,

I'm getting a little lost with all the options avail in the plugins section and I need a little guidance here.

Basically I want to standardise and globalise all categories and tags across my sites in multisite. Which plugins should I use?

Tks.

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there @eric

I hope you are well today and thank you for your question.

The site categories plugin is for putting the sub sites into categories and not the actual categories that can be used by each sub site, so you could have a sub site in a category defined by you, maybe web development and then one in web design.

The global tags plugin will add a global tag cloud for your most popular and most used tags across the network, was you looking at restricting the tags and categories?

Thank you!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• eric

SITE CATEGORY PLUGIN
    Is this what you mean? Example, I setup news.com as the main site. Then I setup local.news.com and sports.news.com as sub sites. Then I use the "site category plugin" to define them as local and sports respectively in the main site. In that way, any posts in local.news.com will appear in the "local" category in news.com. The posts in sports.news.com will appear in the "sports" category.

Did I get it correctly?

GLOBAL TAGS PLUGIN
    Does it consolidate all the tags across the network, which comprises of local.news.com and sports.news.com, and display them all in news.com so that all the articles linked by the tags can be displayed in there?

No, I'm do not want to restrict tags and categories. Rather, I want them all to appear in the main site.

Tks.

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there @eric

I hope you are well today and sorry for the extreme delay with my reply, I had missed your previous responses.

With the site category plugin, it doesn't quite work like that, as it doesn't place content into certain categories, rather it gives you a list of all sites across the network and then you can define the category of that site, sports, news etc, but you'd still also need to use normal categories as well.

Global tags will give you a tag page/cloud that will pull in tags from across the network :slight_smile:

Coming back to the news.com example, if i want all posts published by local.news.com and sports.news.com to be consolidated at news.com/articles, should I use the "Post Indexer" plugin to achieve this?

You want everything posted at local.news.com and then sports.news.com at news.com/articles, in that case you might want to even consider using auto blog to post the content,there?

Thank you and sorry again about the delay.

Kind Regards
    Jack.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.