Global Categories

This may be a feature request but am wondering if it is possible to set up the categories on the sites so that there is a standard. On Etsy you have to select one of the given categories or maybe have an ‘other’ option.

Am thinking the global category list could get pretty long. Also when I list the global categories will it list duplicates if two sites have the same category.

Maybe I am just not sure how it all works. I just know on the sample site I set up, my main site categories did not show and I could create my own.

• Philip John
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

Hiya Eric,

You could use New Blog Templates to ensure the same category options were available to new sites.

However, categories are stored on a per-site basis in WP. That means you get this situation;

Site 1

– Category “Blue widgets” has ID of 4

– Category “Red widgets” has ID of 5

Site 2

– Category “Blue widgets” has ID of 17

– Category “Red widgets” had ID of 18

This kind of request has come up before and it would be sort of possible to do, but it’s some heavy customisation as I understand it as you’d have to map the different site categories to each other.

Phil

• Eric G.
    • The Crimson Coder

I did test and figured out that if you add the same categories in different sites it will only show the one with combined numbers included in that category. That should work for me.

Can I get the hardcode to put the global categories in by PHP? Also, maybe a way to only show specific global categories. This way I can set up the standard ones. If they do use those categories, they can still submit the product, it will just be harder to find :wink:

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.