Global Footer does not take on styles in mobile or tablet portrait

Hi,

I added the Ultimate Branding Footer and love it. Unfortunately, the styles I added do not display on tablet portrait view or on mobile.

If you can provide me the proper media queries, I can add that code -- but I wanted to check first to see why this is happening.

Here is the link to one site, thought it happens on all our sites: http://1.mjdwebsites.com

Thanks in advance for your time,

Kristy

Nastia

Hello Michael, I trust you are doing well today!

I can't replicate the same on my installation. I visited your page, but I see the same footer in the desktop view as in the mobile view. Please check the attached screenshot below.

Would you please grant support access from your Dashboard > WPMU DEV > Support so that I can check?

https://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wpmu-dev-dashboard-enabling-staff-login/

Cheers,
    Nastia

Michael

Hi Nastia,

Thank you! I granted you access to go to the site (1.mjdwebsites.com). However, the footer in your screenshot shows my problem -- the text there is not taking on the styles that display on desktop. If you look at the site on a desktop, you'll see what I mean. I have centered the text and added padding, etc -- but these styles are not displaying on tablet portrait view and on mobile devices.

Nithin

Hi Kristy,

It looks like a caching problem that makes the deleted plugins appear in your footer. Please check whether there are rules written by the W3 Total Cache plugin to your .htaccess file located in your root folder.

If present, you can carefully delete the section written between :
    # BEGIN W3TC Browser Cache
    --
    # END W3TC Browser Cache

Make sure to have a backup of this file before doing it.

Kind Regards,
    Nithin

Michael

Thank you so much!

There are two .htacess files, and I think you mean the first one below, located in public_html/wp-content/cache/page_enhanced/ :

# BEGIN W3TC Page Cache cache
    AddDefaultCharset UTF-8
    <IfModule mod_mime.c>
    AddType text/html .html_gzip
    AddEncoding gzip .html_gzip
    AddType text/xml .xml_gzip
    AddEncoding gzip .xml_gzip
    </IfModule>
    <IfModule mod_setenvif.c>
    SetEnvIfNoCase Request_URI \.html_gzip$ no-gzip
    SetEnvIfNoCase Request_URI \.xml_gzip$ no-gzip
    </IfModule>
    <IfModule mod_headers.c>
    Header set Vary "Accept-Encoding, Cookie"
    </IfModule>
    # END W3TC Page Cache cache

The other .htaccess file is in public_html (this is the root folder, right?). If I need to delete code from this one, do I just delete the bold code below?

# BEGIN W3TC Browser Cache
    <IfModule mod_deflate.c>
    <IfModule mod_headers.c>
    Header append Vary User-Agent env=!dont-vary
    </IfModule>
    AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE text/css text/x-component application/x-javascript application/javascript text/javascript text/x-js text/html text/richtext image/svg+xml text/plain text/xsd text/xsl text/xml image/x-icon application/json
    <IfModule mod_mime.c>
    # DEFLATE by extension
    AddOutputFilter DEFLATE js css htm html xml
    </IfModule>
    </IfModule>

# END W3TC Browser Cache
    # BEGIN W3TC Page Cache core
    <IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
    RewriteEngine On
    RewriteBase /
    RewriteCond %{HTTP:Accept-Encoding} gzip
    RewriteRule .* - [E=W3TC_ENC:_gzip]
    RewriteCond %{HTTP_COOKIE} w3tc_preview [NC]
    RewriteRule .* - [E=W3TC_PREVIEW:_preview]
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_METHOD} !=POST
    RewriteCond %{QUERY_STRING} =""
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} \/$
    RewriteCond %{HTTP_COOKIE} !(comment_author|wp\-postpass|w3tc_logged_out|wordpress_logged_in|wptouch_switch_toggle) [NC]
    RewriteCond "%{DOCUMENT_ROOT}/wp-content/cache/page_enhanced/%{HTTP_HOST}/%{REQUEST_URI}/_index%{ENV:W3TC_PREVIEW}.html%{ENV:W3TC_ENC}" -f
    RewriteRule .* "/wp-content/cache/page_enhanced/%{HTTP_HOST}/%{REQUEST_URI}/_index%{ENV:W3TC_PREVIEW}.html%{ENV:W3TC_ENC}" [L]
    </IfModule>
    # END W3TC Page Cache core
    # BEGIN WordPress
    <IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
    RewriteEngine On
    RewriteBase /
    RewriteRule ^index\.php$ - [L]
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
    RewriteRule . /index.php [L]
    </IfModule>

# END WordPress

Thank you so much for your help!

Kristy

Nithin

Hi Kristy,

.htaccess will be in the root folder of your WordPress installation, so your are right, public_html is the root folder. You will have to edit this file.

Please remove the line including # BEGIN W3TC Browser Cache and # END W3TC Browser Cache and the content between them.
    Also the line including # BEGIN W3TC Page Cache core and # END W3TC Page Cache core and the content between them.

In short, this is how your .htaccess located in your root folder will look like:

# BEGIN WordPress
    <IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
    RewriteEngine On
    RewriteBase /
    RewriteRule ^index\.php$ - [L]
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
    RewriteRule . /index.php [L]
    </IfModule>

# END WordPress

Dependig on the type of caches were active, you may see these files and folders listed below in your wp-content directory, make sure you delete these too:
    cache folder
    w3tc-config folder
    advanced-cache.php
    object-cache.php
    db.php
    w3-total-cache-config.php

If present, delete this line from your wp-config.php file located in the root folder:

define('WP_CACHE', true);

Please do make sure that you take the backup of the files you edit.

I hope that helps.

Take care and have a nice weekend.

Kind Regards,
    Nithin

Nithin

Hi Kristy,

Hope you are doing good today.

I also found a "cache" folder in wp-content that has "config"; "page-enhanced"; and "tmp" folders. Should I delete these as well?

I did mention in my previous post to delete it. Since you are no longer using W3 Total Cache plugin, please feel free to delete the cache folder located in your /wp-content directory too.

These files and folders are created when you install this plugin, so there's no use in keeping these files.

In future, to make sure these files and folders doesn't stay in your directory. One solution is that you deactivate and remove your plugin using the dashboard, rather than removing it manually using ftp.

Glad to be of help!

Cheers,
    Nithin