Global Options for Classifieds plugin?

Hi,

Is it possible to add global options to the Classifieds plugin? By global options I mean the ability for Super Admins to create ads and for those ads to be available to sub-site users - via the active ads, saved ads, ended ads menu. In turn, sub-site users would only be able to use the ads provided by the Super Admin. (The menu for sub-site users to create their own ads would be disabled or hidden using a plugin like Super Admin Menu Manager or White Label Branding etc.)

Super Admin would update content of Classified ads, which would then update network wide. This way sub-site users would not need to touch an ad once activated.

And, if it helps to simplify configuration, the Classifieds custom fields "duration" and "cost" would be disabled.

Is this possible?

Thanks,
Rob

My objective has one other component, which is how to configure Classifieds to display in a full-page theme that uses custom-post-types. Is this better dealt with as a separate post in the forum? Briefly, I am using the Delight full-screen theme - http://themeforest.net/item/delight-fullscreen-wordpress-portfolio-theme/255488. I have played around with Custompress, adding the same taxonomy fields that are in Delight to Classifieds, but have discovered that these taxonomy fields can only exist in one place. (i.e. replicating the fields in Custompress removes them from the Delight menu.) Would modifying CSS for Classifieds to match Delight be a better approach? If yes, any pointers?

• aecnu

Greetings Rob,

Welcome to WPMU Dev!

By global options I mean the ability for Super Admins to create ads and for those ads to be available to sub-site users - via the active ads, saved ads, ended ads menu.

I think this can already be done with site by site activation if indeed you are running a WordPress MultiSite installation.

In turn, sub-site users would only be able to use the ads provided by the Super Admin.

Rob you lost me on this one, sorry.

(The menu for sub-site users to create their own ads would be disabled or hidden using a plugin like Super Admin Menu Manager or White Label Branding etc.)

Advanced Access Manager plugin is my preferred choice for this type of action.

Super Admin would update content of Classified ads, which would then update network wide. This way sub-site users would not need to touch an ad once activated.

And, if it helps to simplify configuration, the Classifieds custom fields "duration" and "cost" would be disabled.

Is this possible?

Anything is possible if the coding abilities of the one coding it meets the task.

My objective has one other component, which is how to configure Classifieds to display in a full-page theme that uses custom-post-types. Is this better dealt with as a separate post in the forum? Briefly, I am using the Delight full-screen theme - http://themeforest.net/item/delight-fullscreen-wordpress-portfolio-theme/255488.

Personally I am not a fan of Theme Forest themes nor Genesis, Thesis and Salutations.
    http://wpcandy.com/thinks/themeforest-is-the-red-headed-stepchild

Some of the authors though are indeed really talented and make themes to easily integrate with other peoples work though they are few and far between.

I have played around with Custompress, adding the same taxonomy fields that are in Delight to Classifieds, but have discovered that these taxonomy fields can only exist in one place. (i.e. replicating the fields in Custompress removes them from the Delight menu.) Would modifying CSS for Classifieds to match Delight be a better approach?

Now this is definitely a genuine thinking out of the box idea that may prove to be the right answer though I am sorry that I do not have any pointers to offer in regards to implementation.

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev Member!

Cheers, Joe

• robbiet63

Hi Joe - thank you for the prompt response. I am running a multisite installation. I will respond to part 1 (global options for classifieds) and leave part 2 for later (configuring Classifieds to display in a full-page theme).

It appears I may not have the correct language for describing what I would like to do. If there is any terminology that would be helpful, please let me know :slight_smile:

If I understand your reference to site-by-site activation correctly, this is different than my objective. My focus is on a system that works after sub-sites have been activated. What I would like to do is (a) create the classified ads myself as Super Admin and, using global options, make these ads appear in the classifieds menus of all sub-sites. These ads, available throughout the network, would then allow (b) sub-site users to select those ads they wish to publish. Does that make sense?

Thanks,
    Rob

• Arnold

The problem with what your proposing is that in Multisite the post for a given blog are separated into blog specific tables. So you are creating the inefficiency of having to collecting classifieds from all these different tables or even worse creating a global table that would have to duplicate what Wordpress does for each individual blog and some how blend it all back together. Lots of hacking at core items which is really impractical.

Then to top it off sounds like you want for each blog to chose a subset of Ads for their own blog from the global set you create. Now you have to track which blogs show which Ads and track all the creation, expiration, rights etc.

And there is probably some sort of billing on this? Again tracking all these choices?

If it actually got popular you could end up with joins across 100's of tables which would be exceedingly slow.

If I were you I'd rethink my business model. On what you've described this would probably become a nightmare to support.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.