Global Product Update across Multisite Network

We run a network of about 100 websites offering digital downloads, all offering the same products.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but we found it wasn't easy to pull all of the categories and products from the main store and share them across the network (We need each website to have a complete sitemap of categories / products), so in the end we cloned the main store across the network. So we now have 100 "independent" instances of Marketpress across 1 network.

So far it's been good, but now we need to adjust pricing add coupons, etc. We're trying to figure out if there's a shortcut as opposed to manually changing the pricing on all of our 80 products across 100 stores. I'm sure this could be done with a database query, but wanted to see if there's potentially another solution.

Thanks for your help / ideas.

Cheers!

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hi dfathers,

Hmm, as long as you've got the "Limit Global Widgets/Shortcodes To Main Blog" option set to "No" in Network Admin > Settings > MarketPress, you can use global shortcodes and widgets in order to display sitewide products. Would that not work for you in this case?

If you need to have separate stores, with separate PayPal accounts associated with them, though selling the same products, I imagine the way you've got it setup currently would work best, but I just wanted to check on that.

As for adjusting the pricing and perhaps other MarketPress settings (ie. coupons) sitewide, the only way I know you could do that currently would be through a database query. It's be great if there was a plugin that could push specific settings out to sub-sites but I'm not aware of anything like that myself.

Cheers,
    David

• dfathers
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Hi David,

For the Global Short codes option you mention above, if we had a child store using only Global Shortcodes, suppose someone clicked on "Example Product 1", would that take the user to the main store, or would it appear as if the product is hosted on the child store? I think that might be why we went the other route...

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Yes, actually, the link would take the user to whatever site is hosting the product, in this case the main site I'm guessing.

You're right then, the best method may be to re-post the products on the individual sites.

However, another option I tend to forget about is ThreeWP Broadcast, which works somewhat like Autoblog, but solely within your network, and providing some interesting features like auto-updating of posts according to the parent.

It doesn't appear to be updated for WP 3.2 in specific but I can't really see a reason it wouldn't work still.

Perhaps that'll help?

-David

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya dfathers,

A database query is about your best option. New Blog Templates work well for creating new sites (though products created through this method won't work with MarketPress' shortcodes) but there is no extra connection to sites. You can't "push" or "sync" changes from one site to another.

Otherwise, the ThreeWP Broadcast plugin might be something worth looking into.

Thanks!

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hi dfathers,

I totally agree with you there and I've been looking into that one myself. There's a few things to consider though, like potentially overwriting a particular blog with template settings and use of server resources when mass updating sites from templates.

We'll be looking into that one though, to see how that could work. Thanks for your thoughts on it.

Cheers,
    David

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

To me this is a pretty specific scenario though - where you're actually duplicating the same content 100 times.

If I wanted the same content across all sites on my wordpress network, I'd just hardcode it into the theme template and then activate that theme on any/all sites as needed. Then, when I need to modify the content I just make the adjustments in one theme and all themes will show the change.

• dfathers

I hate to re-open this, but we've reached the point where we need to update some pricing on products site wide.

I figured out a way to modify site pricing one at a time by running the following:
    UPDATE wp_90_postmeta SET meta_value = REPLACE (meta_value, 'old-price', 'new-price' );

However I can't figure out how to do this to multiple tables at once... Any help would be greatly appreciate.

Thanks

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya,

There's no easy way to run a MySQL query across multiiple tables. You'd need to be on a VPS as it requires a cursor which is limited in shared hosting environments.

It'd be easier to have a plugin in mu-plugins that updated this option for you. It may be possible to use the same process as the network update function that's used during a WordPress upgrade. Only thing I don't know is whether you'd need to visit the site dashboard to trigger the update.

Related: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3817540/how-can-i-simultaneously-query-all-blog-options-table-in-a-wordpress-multisite-i

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya dfathers,

Unfortunately a tool such as this is one that would be fairly custom. I've not come across anything available for this kind of task. My hunch is that due to the complexity and server intensity of such a task it's not something that would be appropriate for mass release.

• dfathers

I think to complete the price changes we're just going to basically make the changes on one site, then import it's "post_meta" tables throughout the other site's "post_meta" tables.

Thanks for the help though with this

• nickrosener
    • Flash Drive

I am also wondering something similar to this topic.. I was also curious what is updating the global product categories. Right now I am view the "marketplace". When one uses the global category widget in a sidebar one gets links to each global category. Once you click these links you see a list of products in that category. The URL structure suggests that it is a marketplace subcategory ("marketplace/THE_CATEGORY":wink: even for sub categories created in a store. I also noticed that if one deletes the categories all together sometimes they still appear in the marketplace. This suggests some knowledge of mysql will be required to provide a clean set up and execution. My goal is to have categories the client sets that their clients can use for their products, much like eBay. Unfortunately, I am unsure why this information isn't updating AND I am unsure what work flow is the preferred setup to get this done. We are using GridMarket, WPMU, and MarketPress.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.