Global Site Tags Breaks Simple:Press Forum (404 errors for all links)

I installed Global Site Tags plugin, and all my forum links (Simple:stuck_out_tongue:ress Forum v4.1.2) give “404 page not found” errors. When I disable this plugin, everything works OK.

When I disable permalinks, everything works fine… but, of course, this is not a solution, as it effectively kills all links to my site. Enable permalinks again brings back the err

I’d be grateful if you could point me in the right direction to look to fix this. Below is the content of my .htaccess file

RewriteEngine On

RewriteBase /

#uploaded files

RewriteRule ^(.*/)?files/$ index.php [L]

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !.*wp-content/plugins.*

RewriteRule ^(.*/)?files/(.*) wp-content/blogs.php?file=$2 [L]

# WPMUDev Sitemaps and SEO

RewriteRule ^(.*/)?sitemap.xml wp-content/sitemap.php [L]

# add a trailing slash to /wp-admin

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} ^.*/wp-admin$

RewriteRule ^(.+)$ $1/ [R=301,L]

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -f [OR]

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -d

RewriteRule . - [L]

RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+/)?(wp-.*) $2 [L]

RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+/)?(.*.php)$ $2 [L]

RewriteRule . index.php [L]

<IfModule mod_security.c>

<Files async-upload.php>

SecFilterEngine Off

SecFilterScanPOST Off

</Files>

</IfModule>

Thank you.

EDIT: I can see user “jcnjr” has a similar issue with Site Search and Directory plugins, but that post is not resolved either. https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/simplepress-incompatibility-with-site-search-and-directory

• George Appiah
    • New Recruit

Thanks for the reply. And oh, if there’s no “simple fix”, I’m ready for the complex one :slight_smile:

The Simple:stuck_out_tongue:ress Forum folks say they do their re-write rules in the single routine shown below:

#

# sfg_set_rewrite_rules()

# Setup the forum rewrite rules

#

function sfg_set_rewrite_rules ($rules)

{

global $wp_rewrite;

$slug = get_option('sfslug');

if ($wp_rewrite->using_index_permalinks())

{

$slugmatch ='index.php/'.$slug;

} else {

$slugmatch = $slug;

}

$sf_rules[$slugmatch.'/([^/]+)/?$'] = 'index.php?pagename='.$slug.'&sf_forum=$matches[1]';

$sf_rules[$slugmatch.'/([^/]+)/page-([0-9]+)/?$'] = 'index.php?pagename='.$slug.'&sf_forum=$matches[1]&sf_page=$matches[2]';

$sf_rules[$slugmatch.'/([^/]+)/([^/]+)/?$'] = 'index.php?pagename='.$slug.'&sf_forum=$matches[1]&sf_topic=$matches[2]';

$sf_rules[$slugmatch.'/([^/]+)/([^/]+)/page-([0-9]+)/?$'] = 'index.php?pagename='.$slug.'&sf_forum=$matches[1]&sf_topic=$matches[2]&sf_page=$matches[3]';

$rules = array_merge($sf_rules, $rules);

return $rules;

}

But I don’t speak that foreign language above, and can’t make anything out of it. Any pointers for me to pursue?

One suggestion from the SimplePress Forum folks was this: since the entire forum sits on just one WordPress page, could it be possible to tell Global Site Tags plugin to exclude this specific page/url from whatever it does?

Thanks, and looking forward to your help.

• Andrew
    • Champion of Loops

Hiya,

One suggestion from the SimplePress Forum folks was this: since the entire forum sits on just one WordPress page, could it be possible to tell Global Site Tags plugin to exclude this specific page/url from whatever it does?

Our plugins only sit on a single page as well :wink:

We’ll take a look at this when we have time available. Most likely that will be in January as we’re pretty much booked up for the last few days of this year.

Thanks,

Andrew

• jcnjr
    • HummingBird

Thank you for looking into this as soon as you find the time Andrew! I am willing to help in any way I can with troubleshooting and testing.

So far, it seems we have confirmed this issue results from activation of any of the following:

• Global Site Tags
    • Global Site Search
    • Blogs Directory

This may help: After installing the Members Directory plugin, no such 404 errors get generated on the SimplePress forums page of our test site… http://tripawds.net

• jcnjr
    • HummingBird

Correction: Members Directory also throws the 404 on all SPF forum topic pages. I must have been looking at the main Forum page when i last posted. I have since deactivated the plugin to the link I provide above shows fully functional forums.

• lightbeam
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Hi guys,

I’ve been told that Simple:stuck_out_tongue:ress is far better than BBpress for use as a forum. I wonder what people here think and if there are still compatibility issues with the premium plugins listed above.

Regards!

justin

• jcnjr
    • HummingBird

…we are aware of the cause of this bug with these plugins and it’s on our list to fix…

That’s great to hear! Thanks for the update.

@lightbeam Personal preference indeed. I have never used bbPress forums, but can attest to the comprehensive configuration and management options that Simple:stuck_out_tongue:ress has to offer! SPF is feature-rich yet simple to install and maintain. We run Simple:stuck_out_tongue:ress forums on our main Tripawds blog only, but it can be activated sitewide or on an individual blog basis. Feel free to poke around the Tripawds Discussion Forums to see how we have set up SPF.

PS: Yes, the plugin conflicts I mention above still currently exist. But as Aaron noted, a fix is apparently in the works.

• lightbeam

i forgot you guys use bbpress and support it with the installs. considering that i have already set it up and that it has themes i’m just going to stick with bbpress. maybe i’ll try simple on some other site. thanks for the replies!

justin

• lightbeam

oh man, so i was going to use bbpress until i managed to lock myself out of it while trying to make sure the users were synched with wordpress, i set administrators to administrators which effectively gives me no keymasters, (never mind the gate keepers ha.) seeing as how i don’t really know how to undo this i now flip flopped back to simplepress. if anyone knows how i can fix this setting i would appreciate it though, i’m guessing that it is one little character either in the db or a file…

i like how simplepress just integrates right into the current theme without needing a separate area though.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.