Global Stats Showing Up in Subsite Dashboards (multisite)

We have a large multisite wordpress system, where clients buy their own website under ours, and have Google Analytics+ installed and accessible to all.

The majority of the client sites see Analytics+ stats in their own dashboard correctly.

But some of them, with no pattern we've noticed as to which ones, instead see ALL stats for ALL of the subdomains and our top level site.

This started happening several months ago, around the time the Google API Manager console came out, though we don't know why that would matter, it may have been a coincidence.

Recently, Analytics+ entirely stopped showing stats in most (but not all) of our client dashboards. We updated to the latest version of Analytics+, and that fixed the stats not showing, but now the proportion of client dashboard widgets that show the global stats has increased significantly. There are still many who do get the correct stats in their dashboard widget, though. We haven't figured out what is different about those.

• Dimitris

Hey there Jeremy,

hope you're doing good and thanks for reaching us!

Could you please grant us with support access to the website in question? We could then try to replicate your setup and further investigate. In order to grant us access, simply go to network admin area in WPMUDEV -> Support page and hit the "Grant Support Access" button.
    More info: https://premium.wpmudev.org/docs/getting-started/getting-support/#chapter-4

Warm regards,
    Dimitris

PS. Let us know here in your next reply that you've done so, as you don't get notified about it.

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Jeremy,

Thank you for granting access.

I checked your site and I can see the issue on these sites. I have however noticed that along our Google Analytics plugin you are also using this other Google Analytics plugin (installed as MU plugin):

https://wordpress.org/plugins/google-analytics-mu/

I'm not familiar with it but it seems it hasn't been updated for a long time and may be affected by changes in Google and as a result also affect your analytics instance. I would start with disabling/removing it at least temporarily to check if it is related.

Could you give it a try please and let us know about result?

Best regards,
    Adam

• Dimitris

Hey there Jeremy,

hope you're doing good today!

First of all, I'd like to mention that from the very start of this thread I populated a test installation with two different Google Analytics accounts to further test this. I also got another colleague of mine to double check that and both of us noticed no errors at all in our ends, so most probably this is either a mis-configuration or a site-specific issue.

Having said that, inspecting the Google Analytics+ admin settings pages for the subsites you've shared with us in the "support notes" section inside your wp-admin area, under
    /wp-admin/options-general.php?page=google-analytics
    I noticed that both are using the web site data from the main domain so I presume that the output in dashboard widget isn't about some kind of bug but rather mis-configuration(?).

Were these websites having their own Google Analytic connection before? And somehow the main site's got in the middle? Do you have any feedback from these subsite admins on this? Please advise!

I can see that you host thousands of sites, if this is a matter of conflict though, a complete list with the affected subsites may help us pinpoint this or/and try to replicate in another installation.
    Let us know if this list can be curated by you.

Warm regards,
    Dimitris

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Jeremy!

Thank you for your replay. I have asked plugin's lead developer for some advice on how to proceed with this issue and am awaiting his replay. We'll update this thread as soon as we get a response from him so please keep an eye on this. It would also be great if you could make sure that support access is still open (it expires automatically so there might be a need to re-grant it).

Kind regards,
    Adam

• Jeremy

Some clarification:

It seems that some of our customers are unable to see the Google Analytics+ widget in their dashboard at all, while others see only global stats, where they used to see the stats for their specific subdirectory.

I'm told that the pattern is that older users see no widget, newer users see global stats. The "no stats at all" problem for older users started when we updated Analytics+ to the current version while trying to fix the "only global stats" problem.

Do you have any suggestions for this? You mentioned configuration, what in the settings might cause either of these problems?

• Dimitris

Hey there Jeremy,

hope you're having a beautiful day!

I really appreciate the feedback here and the pattern found for this issue. I already informed plugin's lead developer about this latest info and we're waiting for his feedback on this. He currently seems to be offline though, so me or another colleague of mine will keep you posted as soon as we've got some valuable feedback.
    Your patience here is highly appreciated!

Warm regards,
    Dimitris

• Jeremy

We are wondering if the reason older accounts no longer see the widget at all is that, in trying to fix the problem of showing global stats instead of subdirectory stats, we tried to reinstall the plugin, around the time we updated it.

This might be why there are two different sets of symptoms. Perhaps the old accounts have some problem with the widget not being shown after reinstall.

The thing is that we have Analytics+ set up Network Activated, which we think should force it to be shown to all users. Just yesterday I tried deactivating and reactivating it on the network, and that caused no apparent change in either problem (global instead of subdirectory stats, or missing widget).

Do you know of any circumstance that would cause the widget to not show up on old accounts after a reinstall, yet show up for new accounts?

Separately, of course, there is the original question of why the accounts that CAN see the widget are only seeing global stats, not their subdirectory stats. They HAD been seeing subdirectory stats correctly last year, but some started seeing only global, which is what started this entire mess.

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi Jeremy,

Can you tell me if there are perhaps some differences between your subsite, for example does it matter if the site is pro site or free one?

Could you try re-connecting with your Google account under Network Admin > Settings > Google Analytics so that error under "Google Analytics Statistics inside WordPress Dashboard For All Sites In Network" option doesn't show anymore?

Is there possibility for you to update to latest WP version so we can be sure it's not related to that?

Best regards,
    Predrag