Global Tags not working on Marketpress

When a seller list products, I thought when they put tags in the tag area, which would allow buyers/seekers to click on a tag word, and then it would bring them to the product, which the tag was placed on, correct?

If that's how it is supposed to work, then the global tags are not working. When we click on tags, it does not bring us to a product. See attached

please try: http://www.militarymamasmarketplace.com

• militarymama

Thanks Kim-

Can you please tell me who I can VENT too? I am very concerned that I had to have a programmer work on many areas with the Marketpress that weren't working correctly.
    I am totally frustrated because I paid monthly then paid for year in full WPMU DEV. I believe that I shouldn't have to hire someone as this stuff should be built into the theme

I'm having a major issue with the pages, and I have to have the people scroll and scroll I can't limit to say, 20 or 30 then go to another page. Totally frustrating.

Then the box layout for the market, we had to tweak, the picture size we had to tweak and it was a pain in the neck. These should be things that are built in and the user can pick and choose.

The store cart was screwed up and he had to go in and change that because only half the cart was showing

Now we have to somehow get the shipping to appear as soon as the product enters the buyers cart because they have to go through all the steps of registering their name, address etc...to find out the shipping cost. That doesn't make sense. I would be turned off of a shop if I had to go through that garbage.

Then I hit update and with the coding that needed to be done on the above, it screwed everything up and we were down for several days. It took a lot of work to get it back to working.

Now, I am totally afraid to update anything- I was told not to anymore.
    I know that the programmers on your end keep telling me to update but the thing messed up. It's totally frustrating.

I have 12 selling and 18 registered and I'm not even a week old. I am totally freaking out because this garbage isn't working. What kind of professional site do I have if the tags, paging, and shipping cost isn't working? It reflects on WPMU DEV too. It doesn't give me warm fuzzies to share all that I had to go through and am still going through on my site

I think it's crazy that people have to go through all of this and hire outside when things should be built into the plugin/theme and it should be WORKING.

Rhonda

• Kimberly

I think you are confusing what you purchased with what you want.
    and what how things work vs. how they are designed.

Just because it would make your life easier doesn't mean that's how things should or can work. I am sorry you are having all of these troubles, but custom work is anything that is not designed to work a specific way in the plugin.

I have admitted that this is a bug, and am getting it taken care of.

As for your other issues:

I'm having a major issue with the pages, and I have to have the people scroll and scroll I can't limit to say, 20 or 30 then go to another page. Totally frustrating.

This is easily remedied by the shortcode variables provided to you in the plugin Network Admin area. i will attach a picture.

Then the box layout for the market, we had to tweak, the picture size we had to tweak and it was a pain in the neck. These should be things that are built in and the user can pick and choose.

We state up front that Gridmarket is a Child theme. It is based on the FrameMarket theme. Which means you can make whatever you want out of it. It's just a starting point, just because it wasn't exactly what you wanted doesn't make it broken. Child themes are a standard usage for WordPress, you can always create your own just like everyone else. http://codex.wordpress.org/Child_Themes

If you find a theme that gives you dynamic lightbox settings for a custom plugin then please feel free to share. I'll buy a membership to that theme store. Again a child theme would fix this for you and your entire network if you have specific settings you like. It's standard practice.

However if you don't want to mess with that you can also set the default size options of your pics in your main blog under the Presentation tab in Marketpress. I will share a picture of that as well.

The store cart was screwed up and he had to go in and change that because only half the cart was showing

i have no idea what you are talking about here.

Now we have to somehow get the shipping to appear as soon as the product enters the buyers cart because they have to go through all the steps of registering their name, address etc...to find out the shipping cost. That doesn't make sense. I would be turned off of a shop if I had to go through that garbage.

That is a perfect example of what you want vs. what it's designed to do. I ordered flowers yesterday from a large and very reputable company and did not see my shipping until it was time to check out. I ordered my daughters backpack from a large retail chain with a well known online store yesterday and didn't see my shipping until it was time to check out. This is typical shipping behavior.

Blaming us and calling the normal way things work "garbage" is hardly a fair assessment of what you think is "wrong"

Then I hit update and with the coding that needed to be done on the above, it screwed everything up and we were down for several days. It took a lot of work to get it back to working.

We provide backup tools to help prevent these sorts of things. It's always recommended that you backup your site before updating. In fact, my host for my test sites, WP Engine, prompts me to do so before I upgrade anything. It's basic good practice.

It's also common sense that if you custom code anything it will get overridden by updates, this is how all updates work. Not just ours. Unless you are using a child theme....

Now, I am totally afraid to update anything- I was told not to anymore.
    I know that the programmers on your end keep telling me to update but the thing messed up. It's totally frustrating.

Good advice not to update if you have custom code in the plugins. Any good programmer will tell you to keep a copy of your custom code if you decide to hack the core of a project.

I have 12 selling and 18 registered and I'm not even a week old. I am totally freaking out because this garbage isn't working. What kind of professional site do I have if the tags, paging, and shipping cost isn't working? It reflects on WPMU DEV too. It doesn't give me warm fuzzies to share all that I had to go through and am still going through on my site

You've received help above and beyond here Rhonda. We have been more than helpful in many instances and have tried to encourage you to learn many things for yourself, as we are here to support WPMU DEV Plugins and not provide extensive tutorials and information on basic WordPress usage. You should be VERY proud of how far you have come, however I do not think that by learning what you have that you have earned the right to call any of us or our products garbage.

I have yet to find an instance, digging through your history of posts here where we did not try to help you, give you a direct answer or point you in the proper direction. Even if that direction was custom coding by a developer.

I think it's crazy that people have to go through all of this and hire outside when things should be built into the plugin/theme and it should be WORKING.

You think it's crazy you had to hire a developer to customize something you wanted customized? This is how this sounds.

I am truly sorry that you are having frustration, I know how it feels to work hard and be so close to the successful end of something like this. Unfortunately, that is part and parcel of learning something new. I've yet to find someone starting out building sites tell me that it was easy right out of the gate.

Please let me know if there are any remaining issues you need cleared up. We will continue to support any issues that you need looked at. I have sent an email out direct on this specific issue to the theme developer. As he is in China it might take a bit for him to see it due to timezone differences.

Personally, I am a little shocked and miffed by your response here. I truly hope that you get everything up and running, and that you see much success.

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi Rhonda,

I must agree with Kimberly on this.

I've tested every plugin and theme WPMU DEV do, they all worked how they should and how the specified, they may not have been down to my exact liking but they gave me a starting point to customize them.

The update problem is standard, any custom code get's overwritten if it's the core, to be quite honest your programmer should have known this.

The shipping, that is standard on most sites, there are customizations you can do, but they are involved, I have mine on my local test site to one page checkout, with hooks throughout to link through, it doesn't work perfectly yet but I'm getting there.

I don't quite get where you are coming from on the scroll for everthing with the products, that's very easy to change, around 20 a page is a nice amount.

If you need any help, you can also email me jack(at)coding-monkey.com

Thanks.

Kind Regards
    Jack (Coding-Monkey).

• militarymama

I shouldn't have used the word garbage, as you guys have been super helpful. I apologize for that. I guess I am just TIRED and FRUSTRATED. I shouldn't have taken it out on you guys and hurt you that way. I'm just overwhelmed with all the things coming at me since we have many more products and more registrations (13 now)

I have asked for help with the paging a few days ago. I guess I just don't understand why it's not already programmed to do a certain amount of products per page. I saw an example yesterday that someone else was having an issue with the same thing. We tried it and it's still not working. I wrote to her to find out exactly how she did it.

The help that we received about the pages it's not working or we must not be understanding it.

The pictures for some reason aren't posting correctly. Yes, we have the picture size checked off. We've had to have some users e-mail pics so we could work with them on our end.

The store cart that shows up on the bottom of the page was only displaying a partial cart for some reason. It took a long time to find the code and to be able to fix it. The measurements weren't right. I should have sent you guys the information originally because you didn't know. It's a lack of communication on my end.

I have never ordered anything that I had to go through entering all the info then have shipping show. I was confused by it. Maybe someday the theme will give the user a choice to display where they want it.

You guys truly are a blessing and do share all the knowledge that you have, it is appreciated. I now understand the helper end - I have had so many e-mails & phone calls at super late hours because of time difference. Who knew I would be working all hours of the night? Not me. I'm in it now and have to keep it going until I can afford to hire someone. I was just feeling like....oh no....not another thing :0)

So Coding Monkey, Kim & Team... I truly do appreciate you and your help, please forgive me for the MAJOR vent. I'm having one of those and have been up since 4am.

Rhonda

• Mason

Hiya,

We've updated both the framemarket and gridmarket themes so I'd definitely recommend updating.

Also, your policy of not upgrading MarketPress is a bad choice - severely. Not only are you not benefiting from the huge amounts of bug fixes and feature enhancements:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/e-commerce/#changelog

Not only that, but frequently core WordPress updates require plugin updates to maintain functionality. You're opening yourself up to a world of hurt the longer you wait.

I understand you're scared to update. You've got dozens of people that are now using and relying on your site. If something goes wrong they end up hurt and potentially leaving.

However, not upgrading is also doing them a disservice. You could be leaving the site open to security vulnerabilities as well. You definitely need to update.

The problem isn't MarketPress. Every line of code from MarketPress, WordPress or any of the other products you used is coded by a human. Humans make mistakes. Sometimes these mistakes aren't caught in testing and are released. Upgrading means there's always a risk (however small) that something will go wrong.

The solution is not to avoid upgrades. The solution is to have a staging site. A staging site is an exact duplicate of your site which you use to test upgrades. You do the test there (with no chance of hurting the live site). Then do some testing to see how well the upgrade worked. If all is good, you can more confidently upgrade your live site.

This is not optional. If you're serious about this venture and it's long-term success you MUST implement a sandbox or staging area and run all upgrades there first. Making changes blindly to a live site is never a good practice.

Hope this helps. I'm being a bit blunt because I feel it's vital to your success here. Thanks!

• militarymama

Mason,

I think that there is much coding behind the scenes to make it work the way we wanted to , that I'm nervous that we will break it. I know we should update and I want to, but need to be sure we won't run into the issue we had before. It literally took the whole site down.

I don't mean to be thick, but how do I do a a staging site? Remember, I am not a tech person :0), however I have learned a lot by asking many questions.

Rhonda

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi Rhonda,

Basically a staging site is exactly the same as your production site, so you would duplicate all files and settings on a seperate site, then whenever you want to change something, do it first on the staging site, if all goes well then update/install on the production site.
    This will stop your production site from going down like before, as the worst case will be the staging site will go down.
    You will need a different domain for the staging site, or you could use something such as MAMP or XAMPP or WAMP.
    Did you resolve the pagination of your website yet?

Thanks!

Kind Regards
    Jack (Coding-Monkey).

• Kimberly

Rhonda,

Stepping in to note that you will need to re-copy the gridmarket theme files into the theme folder to get the gridmarket theme to update.

Also, WP Engine, that I referenced earlier automatically provides you with a staging area. They are really experts at all this stuff.

You can also check out WP Valet, I know that @Mason has had some good experiences with them, right @Mason?

@coding-monkey thank you for your support here :slight_smile: You truly are an asset to the Community.

• militarymama

No still working on making buttons on bottom, I believe that we have NEXT page.

The things that you listed Mamp etc, are things that I would have to learn and pay the developers to learn for this site? That would be a lot of money. I already put out a lot of money to get this going and with carrying two mortgages I can't afford to do the other things.

I think the frustration is that people pay $400 per year and it's expected that the :
    Tags work
    shipping is included in check out
    The shopping cart box would be a complete box, not half a box showing
    The layout of the front page (It truthfully looked like a child built it before all the extra coding was done in the background)

This should have been in the original Marketpress and we shouldn't have to keep updating because bugs were/are found. Especially with the money put out for the product. Those things have NOTHING to do with security.

I have another site, which I sell e-books and have NEVER had to update in over two years and I didn't have to put any money out for it.

I'm not frustrated with you guys at all -, I know you all work hard at trying to help us.

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi Rhonda,

Have you hired a programmer to do the pagination? It really shouldn't take long, it's reasonbly simple job to do for this to be honest, a couple of hours MAX. It may take a little longer depending what code has been changed and where.

The things I have listed while some of them do cost money, you only need one of them, there's not loads to learn, some simple searching google or reading the manual should explain all you need to know. They are for setting up Virtual servers/hosting on your PC. So you can then install wordpress, copy your existing site to it, and then test on that, i.e a staging site.

MAMP is for Mac's only, which is what I use, (http://www.mamp.info/en/index.html)

XAMPP is for Mac's, Windows and Linux (don't quote me on that, can't quite remember).

WAMP is for Windows only.

I think the frustration is that people pay $400 per year and it's expected that the :?Tags work? shipping is included in check out? The shopping cart box would be a complete box, not half a box showing?The layout of the front page (It truthfully looked like a child built it before all the extra coding was done in the background)

The tags do work, that is not how shipping works on a lot of major websites, I'm talking some of the most well know websites, Out of all the website's I've purchased on, only two showed it before.
    Not quite sure where you are coming from on the shopping cart box (can I get a screenshot).
    To be honest I think that's quite rude about the front page layout, and I don't even really understand what you mean, do you mean how the theme looks out the box so to speak? But regardless a child couldn't build the theme.

To be honest nearly every problem you've had should have been resolved by your programmer and I'm wondering now if they've broken things, I would be very interested to know their hourly charge, as you really do get what you pay for.

This should have been in the original Marketpress and we shouldn't have to keep updating because bugs were/are found. Especially with the money put out for the product. Those things have NOTHING to do with security.

Right I'm not trying to be rude here, but it's silly to expect something to be perfect out the box and never need an update. Programmers are humans and they make mistakes or wordpress changes it structure on the update so the plugins need updating, if you keep on updating wordpress (which you MUST) and don't update your plugins in the end your whole site won't work, why? Wordpress changes it's syntax, structure, tags, hooks, etc, when Wordpress 3.4 was launched quite a few tags/hooks were deprecated.

I have another site, which I sell e-books and have NEVER had to update in over two years and I didn't have to put any money out for it.

It must need updating unless it's a service provided by a third party provider, or it must be extremely outdated.

I'm not frustrated with you guys at all -, I know you all work hard at trying to help us.

I can't speak for the others, but I know your not, it just feels like it sometimes.

@Kimberly, Thanks and Hi :slight_smile:

Kind Regards
    Jack (Coding-Monkey)

• Kimberly

No still working on making buttons on bottom, I believe that we have NEXT page.

You don't need to code anything here. Just add the variables for the shortcodes.

The things that you listed Mamp etc, are things that I would have to learn and pay the developers to learn for this site? That would be a lot of money. I already put out a lot of money to get this going and with carrying two mortgages I can't afford to do the other things.

We all have money strains. You can do alot of this yourself for no or very little cost. Spending an hour on Google can save you hundreds of dollars with many things, figuring out how to use WordPress tools yourself is one of them. I built a site VERY similar to yours for the cost of my hosting and one month of the MarketPress plugin.

I think the frustration is that people pay $400 per year and it's expected that the :
    Tags work

That has been addressed and fixed in an extremely timely manner.

shipping is included in check out

This is YOUR expectation, to be fair. It's included, just not where you think it should go.

The shopping cart box would be a complete box, not half a box showing

I've searched an cannot find a rash of rampant reports about this in the ticket history for the plugin. I think if it was truly "broken" in this way we would have addressed it, or see many more people complaining.

The layout of the front page (It truthfully looked like a child built it before all the extra coding was done in the background)

I, again, stress that Framemarket is meant to be a Parent theme, customizable. Perhaps you looked at the pictures and not the text on the Project page when you downloaded. There are dozens of framework themes. This is a WordPress component. Not a DEV thing. What we do is built on top of WordPress.

I've yet to find a "bug" that we haven't addressed for you. I don't know how else to explain to you that just because it doesn't have a feature you want that doesn't make it broken. I can't call the car dealership and complain that the steering wheel is broken because I don't like the color. If, in fact, you are echoing your "developer" then perhaps he can send an email with his code and suggestions to the contact email. I'm SURE Aaron would be very interested to hear it, and we are always looking for good developers for the team.

As for updates, we follow WordPress. All that code means something and uses things that WordPress has built into it. If WordPress changes something, then we have to change it or it breaks. WordPress is an open source project, constantly changing. It is the nature of the type of site you chose to build on, not our decision.

.Third party websites run much differently than CMS. There is a big difference in what sites like Wordpress.com and Drupal do vs what you do on Free CMS sites like Blogger or Wordpress.com.

I am overwhelmed :0(
    I guess I need baby steps again and will have to read and learn.
    Where and how to I start to learn about this?

It's alot, even the pros specialize. Not all developers know CSS, not all site builders know PHP. Lots of theme designers do just that and nothing else. You're never going to know it all. The key is taking the time to learn what you need to know. the world of WordPress is huge and there are MANY resources besides us. Google is your friend, I promise.

• militarymama

The tags do work, that is not how shipping works on a lot of major websites, I'm talking some of the most well know websites, Out of all the website's I've purchased on, only two showed it before. ( No, when people are purchasing items, the store owner is NOT getting the shipping cost included in the PayPal check out, even when they put the amount of shipping in the box)
    Not quite sure where you are coming from on the shopping cart box (can I get a screenshot). We fixed it

To be honest I think that's quite rude about the front page layout, and I don't even really understand what you mean, do you mean how the theme looks out the box so to speak? But regardless a child couldn't build the theme. ( All the boxes were different sizes and weren't consistent some were 2 inches long while others 5 inches and so on )

To be honest nearly every problem you've had should have been resolved by your programmer ( My hubby is a .NET programmer and has been programming for 25 years. He's been asking a friend of his and we've had to pay too for his guidance) 90 % of the work I have done but the last parts I needed my hubbys help because I just couldn't get the programming. He wanted me to learn on my own and follow through because he has a full-plate. and I'm wondering now if they've broken things, I would be very interested to know their hourly charge, as you really do get what you pay for. ( It's been crazy and wish we had more funds to pay someone who really knows PHP, but we have had much going on I lost my mom last week of April, My father-in-law passed away 3 weeks ago and we've had to travel for several weeks and we are carrying two mortgages, so that's why we can't just do it. I truthfully built this site to help military families)

Yes, you guys have been super helpful and I have learned a lot. I am truthfully grateful. Not tactful...I would say :0)

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi Rhonda,

( No, when people are purchasing items, the store owner is NOT getting the shipping cost included in the PayPal check out, even when they put the amount of shipping in the box)

Where about's are they entering the shipping information?, they should set shipping up in the store settings and use the shipping there, the extra shipping box is just that, extra shipping, you only use that box if the shipping you've set up won't be enough, so that goes on top of it. Is this for all stores across the site or 1 or 2?

( All the boxes were different sizes and weren't consistent some were 2 inches long while others 5 inches and so on )

That's just how the theme is, I believe this relates to the product images correct?

( It's been crazy and wish we had more funds to pay someone who really knows PHP, but we have had much going on I lost my mom last week of April, My father-in-law passed away 3 weeks ago and we've had to travel for several weeks and we are carrying two mortgages, so that's why we can't just do it. I truthfully built this site to help military families)

I'm sorry to hear of both your losses.

I understand how expensive programmers are, as I'm one my self, my base charge starts at £55 GBP per hour. So I know where you are coming from, but google really should be your best friend, there is some extremely useful information on their, basic courses/tutorials in PHP, HTML, CSS etc, Some fantastic tutorials to do with Wordpress etc, like Kimberly said, you can save hundreds if not thousands of dollars!

Yes, you guys have been super helpful and I have learned a lot. I am truthfully grateful. Not tactful...I would say :0)

:slight_smile:

Thanks.

Kind Regards
    Jack (Coding-Monkey).

• militarymama

( No, when people are purchasing items, the store owner is NOT getting the shipping cost included in the PayPal check out, even when they put the amount of shipping in the box)

Where about's are they entering the shipping information?, they should set shipping up in the store settings and use the shipping there (Where in the store settings? I only see one box for shipping and it says extra shipping),

the extra shipping box is just that, extra shipping, you only use that box if the shipping you've set up won't be enough, so that goes on top of it. Is this for all stores across the site or 1 or 2?

Where they add their products, there is a box that allows them to add the amount of shipping.

I'm not understanding: they should set shipping up in the store settings and use the shipping there, Where is that? I must be missing something....

All the store owners are adding the extra shipping as the shipping cost. Is it something that I have to set?

• militarymama

Jack,

Can you tell me where that is located? I am not seeing it? Is there a way to take the extra shipping off?

I wonder if it's because we are using TTfrontend, so that the store owner doesn't see all the extra stuff?

We have the templateblog where we do the setting for them.

I need suggestions please. I think if we took off the extra shipping, then that would help with things then the seller can add the shipping into their cost of the products.

Rhonda

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi Rhonda,

I see my screenshots weren't attached, hopefully this time they are :slight_smile:

TT-Frontend should still have that option there, is my test store still active on your install, if so I can check out, if not, could you create me a test store from your network admin and provide me the login details? This way I can see what's happening, then you can delete it after :slight_smile:

Ok I see where the shipping goes on the template, can I set this as a very low figure and allow them to charge the extra and that would appear in their PayPal?

Yes that should work, but like I said, I'd like to see what the store owners see if that's possible?

Thanks!

Kind Regards
    Jack (Coding-Monkey).

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi Rhonda,

I've attached the box of what the store owners see. You mean to look deeper? I'll have to see how to do that?

I don't see a attachment? Yes, in your network admin, you should be able to create a site, if you could create me one and send me the login details, you'll need an email address, you can use jack(at)coding-monkey.com

With all the stores that are already opened do I have to go in and make all of the shipping .50? Then the amount they entered as extra shipping will pick up correct?

That should work but I can't gurantee it, you'll also need to select the countries to ship to, otherwise it won't work, that's why I'd like to take a look :slight_smile:

Thanks!

Kind Regards
    Jack (Coding-Monkey).

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi Rhonda,

I've just opened a store, and your members can set shipping them selfs, on the front end when they click manage my market, then click store settings, then they click the shipping tab and can set it up.

I see you've done the blog template with shipping to all countries and .50 flat rate shipping, then they enter their shipping info into the extra shipping box on the product page, that should also work, I can't see why it won't :slight_smile:

Thanks!

Kind Regards
    Jack (Coding-Monkey).

• militarymama

Shipping still not working

@Jack
    Also Rhonda, I noticed a major bug in the sign up process, the password entered at signup isn't the one that works to log in, once the site is created it gives you a password but earlier on in the process you get to choose a password, but that one does nothing?

My hubby figured it out, it's because when there is an error in the Captcha, it makes their password change to random.
    Can you please tell me how to fix this. I believe this is one of our major issues with the questions of people not being able to figure out how to register as a prosite member

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.