going back to one database if multi-db goes squirly?

gone are the days of my single-user-blog-click-it-and-see approach now I have 10k users and a few hundred blogs on the system!

How easy would it be to go back to the original 1 database if the upgrade to 256 db process goes awry?

• fiddyp

Andrew: when you say move the tables back into a single db, wont they stay in the original db so I could just change the values in wp-config ?

I can't help but feel a bit anxious about doing the multi-db upgrade. I am pretty good at following manuals and have a decent level of experience of doing these things but I'd feel much better if there was a step by step tutorial that went into more detail than the ones I have seen around the forums. Things like step 1, make new table here, step 2, fill in these fields with these values for this reason etc

I searched around the forums but didn't see a spoonfeed type tutorial, is there one?

• Andrew

when you say move the tables back into a single db, wont they stay in the original db so I could just change the values in wp-config ?

Tables are copied to the 16, 256, or 4096 databases. The original db is left intact but once changes are made it's not a usable backup unless your ok with losing those changes.

I searched around the forums but didn't see a spoonfeed type tutorial, is there one?

You really need to have a decent understanding of both PHP and MySQL to install Multi-DB. It's just a touch more complex than installing a plugin.

This is a fairly recent thread that goes through the entire process:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/couple-questions-and-please-let-me-know-is-this-how-you-install-multidb

Thanks,
    Andrew

• fiddyp

thanks Andrew and Drmike!

I managed to install the whole site to a local webserver and upgrade to 2.8.2 and install multi-db for 256 databases with only a few minor stumbles on the way.

I think I'm ready to do it for the real server now and will probably do a narrated screencast so others don't have to scream in panic at a page full of errors if they want to do the same thing!

one question,
    if I want to install a new plugin in mu-plugins that uses a database table, do I need to add the table to the global table using the same name set in the plugin before I install it?

• argh2xxx

Hope you don't mind I'm hijacking the thread just for a tad. I think moving all databases into one, you can do this -- please correct me if i'm wrong, and please test this first before try it on production server.

mysqldump -u username -p -h hostname --all-databases | bzip2 -c > alldatabases.sql.bz2

after backup all data, open the alldatabases.sql.bz2 by doing this -- bunzip2 alldatabases.sql.bz2

then you have to use vim or vi to open up the sql file -- example: vim alldatabases.sql

Your original db must have prefix like myserver_db1 and myserver_db2 and so on. You can use OpenOffice spreadsheet (calc) or Microsoft spreadsheet to edit out _db1 or _db2 parts. Then replace all myserver_ with a single db -- ex: myserver_newdb and this newdb will be the only variable for all myserver_ in your alldatabases.sql.

After you got that part done, you can create a new db that you just named after in your server/phpmyadmin. Remember myserver_newdb?

Allow the original user that works with all of those 256 or 4096 dbs to work with myserver_newdb -- allow privilege in phpmyadmin or using mysql grant command.

When done, you can do mysql -u username -p -h hostname < alldatabases.sql

I think this will get all databases' tables into one database!

Please let me know if this work since I haven't test this myself while writing this, but I have done this before long time ago, so I hope this is exactly that.

Good luck!

• fiddyp

I think I'm just about ready for doing the real db upgrade on my live server. oo-er.

one thing, if I have my own code that writes to the wp database, what conventions do I have to use for table names?

ie. if i had $wpdb->prepare ( "update wp_users set display_name = %s WHERE ID = %d" ... etc

would that still work after the move to multi-db ? I'm sure there's a way to reference table names using wpdb but I can't find nor remember it!