Going crazy with contact forms

I just wondered if someone can tell me what I'm doing wrong with the contact form at Link removed at members request

The form always sends, but the content isn't always in the email. I've been playing around with the shortcodes trying to make them show up, but I think I'm missing something obvious because only half the info shows up.

Just what should be in the additional headers and message body fields please?

Support access is still open for other issues I'm waiting for help with if it's easier to look at this in my sites back end.

Also, the site keeps returning black text whenever I try to change the form and save anything due to something which happened to do with this thread Link removed at members request which I'm waiting for help with if anyone can take a look over there.

Thanks

• Sally
    • The Crimson Coder

Have now worked out the shortcode problem and got all fields coming through, but every form which is submitted looks the same ie there is no difference between someone who has submitted a recipe and someone whos submitted a dog for rescue.

The subject which comes through is always Subject: [your-subject] (there is no where on the form for anyone to actually insert a subject, so should I remove this from the mail section?)

When the fields do come through, each field is just the text inputted by the visitor, there is no label in the email of what the text is to do with.

I can't see any way to fix this since I do have text there which shows on the form frontend, but it doesnt come through with the email?

Thanks

Sally

• Sally
    • The Crimson Coder

Hi Jack/Faydra

Here is the form (well, one of them, but if I can work out what i've done wrong regarding the subject and getting the fields labelled when they come through to my email address, I should be able to fix the other forms myself :grinning:

Thanks

Sally

• faydra_deon
    • WordPress Warrior

@Sally:

I can't see the items at the top of your form, above "Age," but if you don't have [your-subject] up there, then there's no place for them to put their subject.

All you're doing in the "Mail" section is calling the shortcode [your-subject] from the Form area. If it doesn't exist in the From area, then CF7 thinks that the subject is simply [your-subject].

Faydra...

• Sally
    • The Crimson Coder

Ah ok Faydra,

Thanks, that makes sense.

I don't really need a subject in this form, so should I remove it from the mail parts too?

Is there a way to get a hint of what the text is about to come through when an email is sent?

At the moment, I just get a list of text in the order they are put in the message body. It would be handy to know which part is which, and also which form they filled in somehow.

Thanks

Sally

• faydra_deon
    • WordPress Warrior

@Sally:

Yes, you can remove it from the mail parts, too, without issue.

You can hard code something for your subject, so it's not blank and you know what you're getting.

So instead of having [your-subject], just type in something like "Info on Dog Shampoos" or "Complaint" or "Compliment," etc.

I've attached a screenshot.

Faydra...

• Sally
    • The Crimson Coder

Ah that's brilliant, thank you @faydra_deon :slight_smile:

One more thing, is there a way to get it to show up in the email what each bit of text is relating to?

ie, If I had someone fill in name, age and number of dogs at the moment, it would display in my recieved email as;

David

Now I know he's probably not 2 years old with 30 dogs, but if I hadn't got that info in front of me looking at the original form, I may just get confused lol

So is there a way for the email to come through like this?;

Name: David
    Dogs: 2

Or something similar, or is that not possible with this form?

Thanks again for all your help :slight_smile:

Sally

• faydra_deon
    • WordPress Warrior

@Sally:

In the "Message Body," and going from your screenshot, this is how you'd set it up:

Dog's Name: [dogs-name]

Dog's Age: [age]

Dog's Breed: [breed]

Dog's Location: [location]

Dog's history and requirements: [dog-details]

More details about this dog: [wheretofindmoredetails]

You just type the label you want to see before the shortcode, and that'll return an email with the label and the information that's been input by the user.

You could even add HTML and CSS to the "Message Body," if you needed to copy and paste the submission into a post, which is what I do. Something like this:

<p><strong>Dog's Name</strong>: [dogs-name]</p>

<p><strong>Dog's Age</strong>: [age]</p>

<p><strong>Dog's Breed</strong>: [breed]</p>

<p><strong>Dog's Location</strong>: [location]</p>

<p><strong>Dog's history and requirements</strong>: [dog-details]</p>

<p><strong>More details about this dog</strong>: [wheretofindmoredetails]</p>

If you didn't want your user to see all the markup, but you want to send them a copy of what they submitted, then you'd use the Mail (2) and just send the results without the markup.

Faydra...

• faydra_deon
    • WordPress Warrior

@Sally:

Yay! I'm glad it's all working like you want it.

I messed up so many forms on CF7, I was pretty sure I could help you sort it out. Haha.

It took me forever to figure out why I wasn't getting my attachments. That was mostly because I didn't slow down and read. Haha.

Faydra...

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.