Going To Last Comment Posted

Hi guys, I'm using the Live Stream Widget on my BuddyPesss site as a direct replacement for the stock Posts and Comments widget that ships with Buddypress. All of this works really great. With one exception, if you click to view a Comment, then instead of actually going to the last comment posted, you instead go to the Blog post page, and then have to manually scroll to the last comment. On Buddypress, if you append a #comment to the Blog post URL then you can go directly to the last comment posted.

Can somebody please assist me with making this possible with the Live Stream Widget?

Thanks
Rob.

• godrob
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

...Actually, just thinking about this some more, whenever you click on the visit link of a Comment then you should be directed straight to that Comment, regardless of whether it's the last comment posted or not.

Thanks
    Rob.

• Paul
    • The Green Incsub

@godrob, working on this today. And have a clarification question. Looking at the output of the widget in my own sidebar I see multiple links. See attached image.

1. admin - This is a link to the user archive
    2. Hello World - This links to the specific comment On my local system this does include the hash to the comment http://inc342mu.com/2012/09/11/hello-world/#comment-2
    3. Inc 342mu - This links to the site home
    4. visit - This links to the post.

If anything I would think for a comment maybe the 'visit' at the bottom of the entry would be the same as the title.

Thoughts??

• godrob

Hi Paul, is this screenshot a beta, as mine doesn't look like that?...

For me personally, where I'm using BuddyPress I would like to see something like:

Admin - links to Admins Blog Archive
    Hello Word - links to the Blog Post
    Inc 342MU - Do not require this. Can we have an option to not show it please?
    Visit - I think that the linkable word 'Visit', on Comment posts should be changed to something like 'Comments (6)' The 6 thereby indicating how many comments have been posted so far. Then, if 'Comments (6) is clicked it should go to the last comment posted #comments.

Hope that makes sense?

Rob

• Paul
    • The Green Incsub

@godrob, The screen shot I provided was the current version of the plugin.

Admin - links to Admins Blog Archive

This is currently how it works.

Hello Word - links to the Blog Post

This is currently how it works.

Inc 342MU - Do not require this. Can we have an option to not show it please?

Maybe. This only shows when using posts from the Post Indexer plugin.

Visit - I think that the linkable word 'Visit', on Comment posts should be changed to something like 'Comments (6)' The 6 thereby indicating how many comments have been posted so far. Then, if 'Comments (6) is clicked it should go to the last comment posted #comments.

Sorry I have to disagree with you on this one. This is supposed to be a live feed of what is happening on the various sites. Something like a twitter feed. I really don't want to start adding things like comment count. Plus the overhead of figuring out how many comments that post has. Remember this widget maybe running on site but will showing data from many other sites. The extra overhead on the comments might be a bit much.

I guess at this point I'm confused on your original post. Can we get back to that?

• godrob

Hey @Paul,

I'm using a single Wordpress install, with Buddypress. Here's a screenshot of how mine looks. Notice how the Blog Title is not hyperlinked like yours is for comments. Its fine for posts though...?

Also, when I click on the Visit link for comments I'm directed to the top of the Blog Post rather than the comments at the bottom of the page.

Instead of the visit link then, can we have a comments link instead :slight_smile: Makes it more obvious that the user when clicking on a comments link will go to the comments section... Just my thoughts... that's all...

Thanks @Paul

Rob.

• Paul
    • The Green Incsub

@godrob, I'll need to look at the single site settings login. The post title should be linked as well but I'm betting we left this off for some undocumented reason. And yeah can change 'visit' to 'comment'. I've already updated the link to take the user to the #comment-XXX number.

Will pass you a beta you can check in a few. Thanks.

• Paul
    • The Green Incsub

@godrob, Looking at the code and back to your original points.

From you posted image in your last comment I'm not seeing why the post title would not be linked. Is this a public site where I can see the working output?

I've decided to add the comment count. But this only shows when using the 'local' data. The widget was developed to work with the Post Indexer engine which basically builds a copy of the Posts into a central system. But you are running local single site. So you get the comment count.

and yes, there is logic that if the data used is 'local' then the site link is purposely not shown. I guess at the time the thought was since local data is being shown no need using extra space to provide the link.

Anyway here is the beta for you to check. Please let me know if you have any other ideas. And thanks.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/2616987/WPMUDev/live-stream-widget-1.0.3-Beta1.zip

• godrob

Hi @Paul, that's a lot better thank you!!!

What would be even better :slight_smile: is that if I select to display the Posts only, that it would look like something like my mock-up screen shot below. Is that possible please. This way, you can display just the Blog post, but have access to the comments too.

Personally, I think it looks a lot less convoluted than having both the posts and comments in one widget.

Thanks very much for your quick turnaround on this. Appreciated!!!

Rob

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.