Going to use Snapshot for the only backup plugin for my

Going to use Snapshot for the only backup plugin for my Multisite network + Multi-DB.

Does Snapshot do the FULL backup (of all 256 bases + global/all network) of just backup the base of the site selected in the "Blog" field (just 1 base)?

Are my settings correct? (see screenshot)

• Paul

@Eugene,

But what bases it backups? Only "_main" (the base of the main net site) or "_global" or what?

When you go to the Snapshots > Add New screen you can setup a new snapshot for an individual blog. At the top there is a button to set the blog. I realize if you have more than just a few blogs this can be cumbersome. The problem is any tool you try within WordPress is going to be subject to PHP timeout and other performance issue when attempting to archive 256 blogs.

Many tools have tried and they all focus on the whole. Which is why we decided to provided a tool to backup individual blogs.

We do have plans to do some multiple blogs as groups but so far this is still in design.

• Paul

@Eugene,

I see... But there is a set (in your plugin) specially for breaking backuping to several parts - why not use this?

Not sure I follow what you are asking. I'm assuming you are referring to the 'Segment Size' setting. This is used specifically to break large DB tables into smaller 'chunks. For example your wp_options table could contain 500,000 rows. Extracting and writing this to a file to be inserted into the .zip archive all at once would be very expensive on your system memory and may effect other users online. So the segment size option is a way to break up the large table into smaller sets which can be easily managed.

So what don't we use this for multiple blogs? Simple answer is it would take more than that logic alone to manage multiple blogs. Sure we could go the cheap route and just spin through the wp_blogs table and backup everything into a very large archive. Then what? If you have any sites of considerable size this single archive would be very large. Probably too large to be contained on the site itself. and too large to push to an external system with any reliability.

Then what is you needed to restore. You would need to restore the entire Multisite system. But what if you only needed one blog restored? Again we recognize this needs to be figured out. We have just not had the time to build the logic to support this in the snapshot plugin. It is planned at some point but for not snapshot only supports individual blogs.

So...can you advice some plugin or not?

I think if you search on google you can find some yourself.

• Eugene

I'm assuming you are referring to the 'Segment Size' setting.

Exactly! Ok, I see...

Then what is you needed to restore. You would need to restore the entire Multisite system. But what if you only needed one blog restored?

I would like to choose "The whole net" or just some bogs.

and backup everything into a very large archive.

I would prefer lot's of small archives. The backup process can never stop - starting from blog ?1 and going to the last and then begin from the first (depends on the time settings). So the backup can be made for each blog alternately.

I think if you search on google you can find some yourself.

I am not sure if people know Multi-DB plugin and specify information about their integration (Multi-DB + backup plugin). So if you as a developer know a suitable plugin - pls tell me. If not - I try to find myself... You know better which plugin is better. :slight_smile:

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.