Going up a directory in multisite subfolder subsites

We have a MS installation whose sites are under their own directories.

Topsite : /

Site 2 : /site2

Site3 : /site3

Let’s say under site2 we will have different categories each under their own subfolder.

/site2/cat1 /site2/cat2 /site2/cat3

What we want to do is to take a few of those category directories and push them up to the root level.

So /cat2 for example.

The reason we want to do that is mainly for SEO.

What are ways for us to achieve this.

A few notes:

1. Regarding conflicts the categories we would want to bring forward would not be many, and we would make sure there aren’t posts/tags/categories in the main site that conflict with the URL’s.

2. We don’t just want to forward people from /cat2 to /site2/cat2 we want the content to actually site on the /cat2 url.

Thanks for your help.

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

Hi there @davhad

I hope you are well today.

I’m afraid that wouldn’t be possible if you want to keep the content assigned to that category displaying on the sub directory site. As if it was possible to move the categories up to the root, they would be part of the main site and you’d loose associated data with the categories.

The only possible way to do this, would be to delete the category on your sub directory site, then add that category on the main site and manually add the content.

Thank you and have a great day!

Kind Regards

Jack.

• davhad
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Hey Jack. Thanks.

We want to keep the content where it is on the subsite. All we want to do is something like this:

Example 1: mainsite.com/subsite/categoryname/ –> mainsite.com/categoryname

Example 2: mainsite.com/subsite/categoryname/this-is-a-post –> mainsite.com/categoryname/this-is-a-post

There is no way this can be done at all? We want to do it for a handful of categories. So even if the solution is not a quick one we might be interested in doing it.

The alternative for us would be to create a subsite for each of those categories. But the drawback with this suggestion is to manage them all separately since they will all be having the same theme, taxonomy, etc.

Thanks.

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

Hi there @davhad

Sorry for the delay in my reply.

I hope you are well today :slight_smile:

One way you could do this would be to export your data, delete the category from the sub site, add the category to the main site, then import the data, the only problem is this for a little while could cause a lot of 404 errors in google for pages not found, which of course isn’t good for SEO.

Thanks for being a WPMU DEV member and have a great weekend!

Kind Regards

Jack.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.