Good evening, I am a paying member of WPMU and have some

Good evening,

I am a paying member of WPMU and have some questions on some of your plugins I plan to use with my website.

My website offers consulting services to both players and coaches for a specific sport. On my website, I want to sell two different types of memberships to two different audiences (players and coaches) who will gain access to two different areas of my website. The only e-commerce part of the site will be the selling of these memberships. I will not being selling digital downloads or tangible items to ship. For the e-commerce, I want to offer users to pay in a variety of ways such as PayPal and major credit cards.

I want to be able to use as many as your plugins as possible for my website since I am a paying member of WPMU. I am trying to figure out if I can accomplish the goals of my website using your Membership plugin and your MarketPress eCommerce plugin, (or any other plugin you have developed that you think I can utilize,) or I need to use other plugins.

Here are my questions:

#1) Is your MarketPress eCommerce plugin a direct competitor to the Woo-Commerce plugin? Would I use your plugin OR the Woo-Commerce plugin? Or would I use both plugins to accomplish my e-commerce goals?

#2) Does your MarketPress eCommerce plugin offer many of the same services and functionality as Woo-Commerce? Specifically, does your plugin have the ability to purchase membership to special areas to a website, and/or a subscription services? I know I could use the Woo-Commerce plugin with their Subscriptions extension. Does your MarketPress eCommerce plugin offer this same functionality?

#3) For payment gateways, I get a little confused in this area. I definitely want to offer PayPal as a method of payment for the membership levels. But not all people have a PayPal account, so I want to offer other ways to pay for the membership. I want to offer users the option to use a VISA or Mastercard, but I do NOT want to collect a user’s credit card information on my site. I see you offer gateways such as Google checkout, 2checkout, Moneybookers, and more. Does that mean I would have to use one of those gateways to allow my users to use a VISA or Mastercard? And if so, does that mean the customer’s credit card information would be stored on that gateway’s database, NOT the database on my website?

#4) For the membership on my site, I want to offer the following 5 levels. Will your Membership plugin be able to accommodate these 5 levels?
a) General users who visit the site and don’t sign up for anything. These are users who just visit the website and browse around and don’t sign up for any membership. All the content for this level will obviously be public.
b) Coaches who sign up for free membership to gain access to SOME special areas of the site for coaches.
c) Coaches who sign up for paid membership to gain access to ALL special areas of the site for coaches.
d) Players who sign up for free membership to gain access to SOME special areas of the site for players.
e) Players who sign up for paid membership to gain access to ALL special areas of the site for players.

#5) If yes to question 3, for the players and coaches who sign up for the free membership level, will they be able to graduate to the paid membership level?

#6) In general, what kind of customizations do you offer with your Membership plugin?

#7) With your Membership plugin, will I be able to show a different menu to each membership level?

#8) If no to the above, will I at least be able to hide some menu items depending on the user’s membership level?

#9) With your Membership plugin, one specific thing I want to do on the site is provide access to videos to players and coaches depending on membership level. I want to show 2 videos for the general users, then 5 videos for the users who signed up for a free membership, and then 10 videos for users who paid for membership. Is that possible with your Membership plugin?

#10) I know I can only have one blog in my WordPress site. And I know there is only one Posts section where the blog articles live. I would like to have 4 different blogs, or at least show different blog articles, to different membership levels. For example, if I have 10 blog articles for coaches, I want to show 2 of them for coaches who signed up for the free membership, and the other 8 articles for coaches who signed up for the paid membership. And the same goes with players. Is this possible with your Membership plugin?

#11) For players who sign up for a free membership, I want to allow them to fill in a few fields for their profile; fields like name, email, and phone number. For players who sign up for a paid membership, I want to allow them to fill in a large number of fields for their profile; fields like name, email, phone number, position played, former sports team played on, number of years played, height, weight, etc. Am I able to accomplish this with your Membership plugin?

#12) Are there other plugins developed by WPMU that you think I could utilize on my website?

Thank you,
Nick

• Vinod Dalvi

Hi Nick,

You are most welcome to the WPMU Dev community.

Thank you for your question.

#1) Is your MarketPress eCommerce plugin a direct competitor to the Woo-Commerce plugin? Would I use your plugin OR the Woo-Commerce plugin? Or would I use both plugins to accomplish my e-commerce goals?

You can use any of the following e-commerce plugins to accomplish your e-commerce goals.

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/e-commerce/
    http://wordpress.org/plugins/woocommerce/
    http://wordpress.org/plugins/wp-e-commerce/
    http://wordpress.org/plugins/ready-ecommerce/

It really depends on your e-commerce requirements which one to use.

Please check your requirements against the features provided by the above plugins and choose any one that fulfills most of your requirements.

You will see features of our MarketPress eCommerce plugin from the following page.

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/e-commerce/

It is also backed by our Spectacular WordPress support.

#2) Does your MarketPress eCommerce plugin offer many of the same services and functionality as Woo-Commerce? Specifically, does your plugin have the ability to purchase membership to special areas to a website, and/or a subscription services?

I have not done any comparison between MarketPress eCommerce and Woo-Commerce plugins but you can always check the features provided by two plugins and let us know as a feature request if there is anything missing in MarketPress eCommerce plugin.

You can use our MarketPress eCommerce and Membership plugins to achieve the result.

#3) For payment gateways, I get a little confused in this area. I definitely want to offer PayPal as a method of payment for the membership levels. But not all people have a PayPal account, so I want to offer other ways to pay for the membership. I want to offer users the option to use a VISA or Mastercard, but I do NOT want to collect a user’s credit card information on my site. I see you offer gateways such as Google checkout, 2checkout, Moneybookers, and more. Does that mean I would have to use one of those gateways to allow my users to use a VISA or Mastercard? And if so, does that mean the customer’s credit card information would be stored on that gateway’s database, NOT the database on my website?

You can use multiple payment gateways at a same time and customer’s credit card information would be stored on that gateway’s database.

#4) For the membership on my site, I want to offer the following 5 levels. Will your Membership plugin be able to accommodate these 5 levels?

Yes the Membership plugin can accommodate these 5 levels using different user roles.

#5) If yes to question 3, for the players and coaches who sign up for the free membership level, will they be able to graduate to the paid membership level?

Yes they can by upgrading their membership plan.

#6) In general, what kind of customizations do you offer with your Membership plugin?

What kind of customization are you looking for?

#7) With your Membership plugin, will I be able to show a different menu to each membership level?

#8) If no to the above, will I at least be able to hide some menu items depending on the user’s membership level?

Yes you can do this by configuring Menu rule for access level.

#9) With your Membership plugin, one specific thing I want to do on the site is provide access to videos to players and coaches depending on membership level. I want to show 2 videos for the general users, then 5 videos for the users who signed up for a free membership, and then 10 videos for users who paid for membership. Is that possible with your Membership plugin?

Yes you can do this by just wrapping videos in access level shortcode to be displayed to the members depending on the membership level they have.

Alternatively you can just create different pages having different videos to be displayed to the members and protect it using URL Groups access level rule.

#10) I know I can only have one blog in my WordPress site. And I know there is only one Posts section where the blog articles live. I would like to have 4 different blogs, or at least show different blog articles, to different membership levels. For example, if I have 10 blog articles for coaches, I want to show 2 of them for coaches who signed up for the free membership, and the other 8 articles for coaches who signed up for the paid membership. And the same goes with players. Is this possible with your Membership plugin?

Yes you can do this by using Posts or Categories access level rule.

#11) For players who sign up for a free membership, I want to allow them to fill in a few fields for their profile; fields like name, email, and phone number. For players who sign up for a paid membership, I want to allow them to fill in a large number of fields for their profile; fields like name, email, phone number, position played, former sports team played on, number of years played, height, weight, etc. Am I able to accomplish this with your Membership plugin?

Unfortunately it's not possible out of the box but you can achieve this by custom coding.

#12) Are there other plugins developed by WPMU that you think I could utilize on my website?

You can just search and use the plugins from the following page which fulfills your requirements.

https://premium.wpmudev.org/projects/category/plugins/

Best Regards,
    Vinod Dalvi

• Nick

Thank you for your response Vinod. I have a few follow up questions to your responses.

1) The only e-commerce function I need on my website is to allow users to pay for membership, which grants them access to special areas of the website. It looks like your Membership plugin has this built-in e-commerce functionality to allow users to pay for a membership. Is that true? If so, does that mean I do NOT need to also install an e-commerce plugin like your MarketPress eCommerce plugin OR a plugin like Woo-Commerce? I am trying to figure out if I need to an additional e-commerce plugin or if your Membership plugin has all the e-commerce features I need to allow users to pay for a membership.

2) To follow up on my question #11 above, can I have two different registration pages, with different registration fields, for different membership levels? For example, if I have two links for registering; one link that leads to a registration page to sign up for the free membership, and another link that leads to a registration page to sign up for the paid membership. Now each of these registration pages could have different fields to fill out. Is that scenario possible with your Membership plugin?

Thanks!
    Nick

• Vinod Dalvi

Hi Nick,

It looks like your Membership plugin has this built-in e-commerce functionality to allow users to pay for a membership. Is that true? If so, does that mean I do NOT need to also install an e-commerce plugin like your MarketPress eCommerce plugin OR a plugin like Woo-Commerce?

You don't need any additional e-commerce plugin to pay for a membership as the Membership plugin has all the e-commerce features that you need to allow users to pay for a membership.

different registration pages, with different registration fields, for different membership levels?

Currently it is a feature request.

Please check the following thread for more information on it.
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/is-it-possible-wmembership-plugin-to-have-2-separate-registration-pages-display-different-content

Kind Regards,
    Vinod Dalvi

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.