Good morning! I've been developing for Wordpress for years,

Good morning!

I've been developing for Wordpress for years, but really never got into WPMU or Network sites much. My vague understanding of WP Network is that I can house multiple sites under a single installation, so to speak.

I'm considering a service where we would provide a certain clientele with a website with modified/custom theme, additional services, maintenance, etc. This is being thought-out with Network in mind, where we could quickly spin up a new website for a new signup without needing to install Wordpress in a separate hosting area from scratch. Mainly because their hosting costs and everything is part of a monthly subscription model.

In short...

- What do I need to be aware of when working within the scope of WP Network?

- Do I have any MySQL expansion/sizing concerns as we scale?

- Monitoring Apache processes may become difficult I'd imagine, since each site will execute on a server as the main installation's Apache user...so I'm curious how you track down abusers in a typical scenario.

- Anything else or any other "gotchas" that I'm simply not thinking about yet?

The main benefit to us is that we can keep everyone up to date concurrently, and not need to manage a separate network of installations, constantly wondering "who's outdated and vulnerable to attack".

• aristath

Hello there @Will Ashworth and a happy new year! :slight_smile:

- What do I need to be aware of when working within the scope of WP Network?

That's a pretty vague question... there's so much to say and so much to learn! The main thing you have to always take care of is building your site on a solid host. Preferably a VPS without cPanel. My advise would be to get a VPS from DigitalOcean or Linode.
    They are both pretty cheap, they have excellent support and their VPSs are extremely well-build and performant!
    Choose a good VPS and use this script to install everything: https://rtcamp.com/easyengine/
    It sets up nginx instead of apache, mysql, memcache, memcached and a bunch of other goodies for optimizing a WordPress site and monitoring a server's performance.
    I'll just go ahead and reply to your next questions, if needed we can come back to this later. :slight_smile:

- Do I have any MySQL expansion/sizing concerns as we scale?

Not really... if your service however gets more than a dozen thousand sites then (and only then) I would advise you to use the multi-db plugin to split your databases: https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/multi-db/

- Monitoring Apache processes may become difficult I'd imagine, since each site will execute on a server as the main installation's Apache user...so I'm curious how you track down abusers in a typical scenario.

You can't monitor each user independently.
    However, as mentioned above I would advise against using apache. Instead of apache use nginx. It's at least 2x faster, and consumes less than half the resources of apache. It will allow your site to scale a lot easier!

- Anything else or any other "gotchas" that I'm simply not thinking about yet?

The main thing to remember is that users can't install their own plugins or themes, nor can they edit files on your server.
    That makes your installation a lot more secure since you're in control of what they can and can't do, but you'll have to make sure you make things as simple as possible. :slight_smile:

I hope that helps!

Cheers,
    Ari.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.