Google+ activity importing issues

I’ve been using Social Media Mashup to pull in activities from my Google+ Page, but since you guys released this, I gave it a go. There are two bugs, however, so I have to deactivate it.

Here they are:

1. Importing Google+ activities via the the “Import Now” button creates duplicates in the feed, wherever you choose to put it. And there isn’t a way to remove the duplicates.

2. The # of posts cannot be changed in the Google+ Imported Activities widget.

In addition, there seems to be no way to set the feed to just self-refresh with the latest Google+ activities. This lack of self-refresh option means that the only way the activities can be pulled in is via the “Import Now” button, which causes duplicates in the feed.

Ideally, I would like to see this plugin works similarly to the Social Media Mashup plugin with respect to importing Google+ activities. One thing that you guys can do differently than Social Media Mashup is to not import the pictures from Google+. Importing pictures can add up to 5 seconds to the page load time, and we all know that’s very bad bad bad.

<rant>Google should make the activity stream available as an RSS feed already!</rant>

• VT
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

I was testing a few other similar plugins, so there might have been some already imported into the database. That said, every time I clicked on the “Import Now” button, I could see the same number of posts from my G+ Page showing up in my feed. I saw the doubling, trippling, to quadrupling the same posts (with the other G+ plugins deactivated) so I’m pretty sure this is from WPMU’s G+ plugin.

If it helps, I also run W3 Total Cache.

• VT
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

I’m not sure how I can clear existing imported posts. You want me to remove things from the database directly?

Anyhow, I reactivated the plugin and there were already 4 duplicates of the latest posts in the widget. Then I clicked on the “Import now” button and surely enough, another set of duplicates shows up in the feed.

• Vladislav
    • Dead Eye Dev

Hi,

As for the widgets limiting issue, there was indeed a bug that prevented the limit attribute from working properly. This issue should be fixed in the latest release (v1.3.1, just released).

As for the duplicated items issue, with each imported item the plugin will add some bits of meta information to your postmeta table. The most important bit of meta information that gets added has the meta_key of “wdgpo_gplus_item_id”, which is what is used to determine if the activity has already been imported. Can you please have a look at your postmeta table (usually named wp_postmeta) to check if there are such entries set?

• VT
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Sorry this slipped my mind. I looked at the postmeta table under wdgpo_gplus_item_id and there are definitely duplicate entries. If you want more info from this table let me know and I’ll get you a copy in excel format.

• Vladislav
    • Dead Eye Dev

Hi,

Simply deleting the duplicates should be perfectly safe. Note, the duplicates will consist of entries in your posts table as well as your postmeta table, so it would be best to remove them from both places. I suggest backing up your database before doing this.

Also, there’s a new plugin version (v1.3.2, just released) with some more added checks. Can you please try to upgrade and see if it perhaps solves it for you?

• Philip John
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

Hiya,

As we haven’t heard back from you we’re going to assume the problem was sorted out and mark this thread as resolved.

If it wasn’t resolved, or you have any more questions related to this thread please feel free to post them below and tick the ‘Mark as Not Resolved (re-open)’ box below the post area (or else we’ll miss it!)

Otherwise, thanks for using the forums, and, as always, for being a member of WPMU DEV, it’s a pleasure to help you out and we look forward to being of assistance in the future.

Thanks!

Phil

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.