Google Analytics for a client

When using Google Analytics on a client's website do they need to open their own Analytics Account or do I use my own Analytics Account?

• Dimitris

Hey there Dave,

I hope you're having a beautiful day and thanks for reaching us! :slight_smile:

Well, this basically depends on how you want to interact with your client and if your client wants to hide (or not) these stats from you.
    What I'd do? I'd create a new Google Analytics Account with the appropriate new site (property)

and then I'd add my client as a new user (with his gmail through the Property->User Management).
    I'd setup everything I needed for his WP installation, and afterwards we'd talk about me staying in or out of this account.

Hope that make sense,
    Dimitris :slight_smile:

• Dave

Thanks for a great reply.

Am I adding this new website through my own Google Account?

And are you referring to them supplying me with their google email or they need to get their own google account if they don't have one?

I'd setup everything I needed for his WP installation, and afterwards we'd talk about me staying in or out of this account.

I already opened the wordpress account on my own for them.

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Dave!

There are two options and the one my colleague Dimitris suggested would be:

- login to your GA dashboard
    - create a GA account
    - add website and get tracking codes there
    - then add their e-mail address to this account

You don't need access to their e-mail account for this (just the address itself) and you are then able to interact with that account later if needed. They will have access but to this GA account only (meaning that they will not be able to check other sites added to your GA).

Other option is exactly opposite: signup for new GA on their behalf using their e-mail account (you'd need an access to it) and then, if needed, add your e-mail to it so you could get access.

An advantage of this is that this account would be completely separate from yours. Both ways will work though so it's up to you whatever suits your and your customer's need better :slight_smile:

Best regards,
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.