Google Analytics instructions need to be updated for A/B Theme Testing Plugin?

Hi there,

Just wondering if the Google Analytics instructions need to be updated for A/B Theme Testing Plugin as I cannot identify the menu options as outlined in the instructions.

Thanks,

Jason

• Brian Purkiss
    • Smushie Pies

You are correct. Those instructions are dated. I will get in contact with the other staffers and work on getting that updated.

In the meantime, what menu items are you having trouble identifying? I’m guessing you’re having trouble finding your Google Analytics Tracking code.

• Brian Purkiss
    • Smushie Pies

You’re going to want to go to Audience > Custom > User Defined. That will show you the stats for each of the different themes.

If you want to set up goals, you can do that by going to Conversions > Goals > Overview > Set up goals.

I hope that helps! If you need any further clarification, or if I did not properly answer your question, please don’t hesitate to ask.

• Jason
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Hi Brian,

I must’ve set something up incorrectly then because I cannot see my themes within those screens. I installed the plugin, created a new theme and can see that my code displays when rendered in the browser.

It either displays as:

<script type="text/javascript">
    pageTracker._setVar("Theme Test: 1024 Yellow border");
    </script>

or

<script type="text/javascript">
    pageTracker._setVar("Theme Test: 1024 Brown background");
    </script>

and my understanding is that Google Analytics would then (automatically) pick up this pageTracker variable and display it within the pages that you described above.

Am I missing a step?

To view it in action please visit http://www.creativeteambuilding.com.au.

• Brian Purkiss
    • Smushie Pies

It is at least partially functioning correctly as I see the different themes loaded when I load the site in different browsers. So the plugin is swapping out the different themes, it seems that we're unsure if Google is picking up on the two different themes.

So go to Audience > Custom > User Defined and see what is displaying there.

The page I directed you to in Google Analytics will display stats for the two different themes. It won't show the two themes, it should look something like the attached screenshot. So for your site, on the page under Audience > Custom > User Defined, the two User Defined Values there will be "Theme Test: 1024 Yellow border" and "Theme Test: 1024 Brown background." Google will then provide additional information like average pages per visit, average duration, bounce rate, etc. You'll then be able to use that information to determine which theme is more effective.

• Jason

Thanks Brian, when I look at that page within Google Analytics (Audience > Custom > User Defined) and look at the User Defined Value table, I do not see the Themes listed.

My Admin screen looks like the attached and I purposely left the Google Analytics UA Number field empty as I have the tracking code (actually 2 of them for 2 different Google Analytics accounts) inserted using another plugin – as can be seen from viewing the code in the source within the URL I sent through in the last post.

Should I fill out the Google Analytics UA Number field? And if so, what do I do when I want these tracking to show up within more than one Google Analytics account?

• Brian Purkiss
    • Smushie Pies

There’s your problem. I believe you will need to use the plugin to embed the tracking code as the plugin will deliver those User Defined variables. The default tracking code doesn’t know about them – that’s the reason for the plugin.

Also be sure to test viewing the pages in a non-logged in browser as I believe the plugin doesn’t track visits by administrators. I may be wrong on that one though.

• Brian Purkiss
    • Smushie Pies

With Google Analytics you can give access to multiple people. For example, I run a website with a friend of mine. We set up the Google analytics account with my Google Account, but I then set him as an administrator for that website. So now when he logs in on his Google Analytics account he can see the stats for that website, even though it was set up on mine.

So in reality you shouldn’t need to use multiple Analytics accounts. It just adds more scripts to be loaded by the browser, increasing your website’s load time.

Would that accomplish the same thing you currently have set up?

• Jason

Hi Brian,

Doesn’t really work like that for me, I have multiple websites on my Google Analytics profile so if I grant the client (of creativeteambuilding.com.au) Admin access then he will have access to all my other client’s analytics – which I don’t want.

At least that’s what the attached screenshot indicates, unless I am missing something here?

• Brian Purkiss
    • Smushie Pies

It is still possible, it just requires a few more steps than it used to.

Pull up the individual website’s analytics info and click on “Admin” in the upper right. Click on the “+ New Profile” button in the middle left of the page. Choose a descriptive name and “create profile.” After creating the profile click the “Users” tab and click “+ New User.” Leave the “Create a new user for the account and grant access to this profile” selected and enter in the client’s email address. You will likely want to keep their role as “User” rather than Administrator as Admins can delete the site’s Analytics data.

I hope that helps! If you need any further clarification, or if I did not properly answer your question, please don’t hesitate to ask.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.