Google Analytics not showing on dashboards anymore

It's been a while now (I hoped it would 'go away' on its own) but for some reason the Google Analytics stats on all dashboards (including the Network Admin dashboard) show the circling loading image indefinitely. No stats appear any more.

This has started happening on multiple networks on different VPS's. What they have in common is:
1. running on Nginx
2. WordPress and plugins are up to date
3. using same Gmail account to manage the "Network-wide Tracking Codes" and several site tracking codes.

Is there a known conflict with Nginx? I do not see any related errors in the log files.

Could there be some setting in my Gmail account or in the individual tracking codes that is blocking something? I tried 'Log out from Google account' and authorizing with an access code again. I also tried to set up a Google API project but has the same result...

What am I missing? How to debug? Thanks for any suggestions :slight_smile:

• Luís
    • Support

Hi @RavanH,

I hope had been good today!

Just to make sure, the plugin was running well and stopped giving the stats? Have you tried add a different google analytics account, just to test?

From what I know, nobody reported a conflict with Nginx. Can you do a plugin troubleshooting (disable all plugins to see if exist any conflict) and set WP_DEBUG to "true" in your wp-config.php file to see if show any warning related to Google Analytics + plugin.

I hope this information has been helpful. If I can help you in this or other questions, please let me know!

Cheers, Luís

• RavanH
    • The Crimson Coder

Hi Luis, I tried your first suggestion: I created a complete new Google account with a new Analytics property and used that for the Network Statistics. At first, with the exact same result (the endless loading icon on the Network Stats page) but sure enough when I returned the next day, the stats showed on Network > Dasboard > Statistics... But only once!

After I returned to the dashboard to see if the widget showed anything (it did not) the stats never came back. Very weird.

Then suddenly it hit me. The stats showed immediately after starting the browser which opened with the previously unclosed tab on the stats page and it did this while not all browser plugins where loaded! And in retrospect, the stats started to disapear after I had switched from the Adblock Plus to uBlock Origin adblocker plugin!

How stupid of me ~,°/

The plugin is blocking some essential scripts:

index.php?page=google-analytics-statistics:52 GET http://aufildudoux.fr/wp-content/plugins/google-analytics-async/google-analytics-async-files/ga-async.css?ver=39 net::ERR_BLOCKED_BY_CLIENT

index.php?page=google-analytics-statistics:93 GET http://aufildudoux.fr/wp-content/plugins/google-analytics-async/google-analytics-async-files/ga-async.js?ver=330 net::ERR_BLOCKED_BY_CLIENT

index.php?page=google-analytics-statistics:96 GET http://csi.gstatic.com/csi?v=2&s=mapsapi3&v3v=22.12a&action=apiboot2&e=10_1…,11_10_12300076,11_11_0,11_12_0,11_13_0,11_14_U,11_15_0,11_16_0&rt=main.18 net::ERR_BLOCKED_BY_CLIENT
  • RavanH
    • The Crimson Coder

One question arrises: is there any way to alert users to this? I suppose I'm not the only one using an adblocker and there might be some users on the network that have never even seen the stats because of this... and they have no idea they need to disable the blocker for their own site to see stats.

What if there was a small text under the loading icon that sais something like "If these stats do not load, please try disabling any adblocker browser extensions." Not sure how this could be done elegantly but it might be a nice addition... At least for fools like myself :wink:

• Luís
    • Support

Hi @RavanH,

I hope had been good today!

I think you cannot do this, but, I think is a good option use a plugin like Admin Panel Tips, to give to your users those kind of informations.

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/admin-panel-tips/

But, I think too that feature could be a nice addition to the project, so I've just moved this over to our Features and Feedback, so it can be taken into consideration for the next plugin updates.

Hopefully some other members will show their support for the feature too, the more members that ask for it the sooner it will happen.

I hope this information has been helpful. If I can help you in this or other questions, please let me know!

Cheers, Luís

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.