Google Analytics showing no traffic

Hi there,

We've just noticed something odd with our networks. Some of our sites are showing traffic as usual in the dashboard widget but many are showing zero traffic for the past month. It seems to be the case where a client has their domain mapped to the website, but is relying on our network GA code to provide traffic stats, then it's showing zero.

I have tried logging out of the network GA and logging back in, but it didn't change anything. I've checked that our network GA is actively gathering stats, which it is.

A couple of days ago I changed the network domain mapping setting to redirect administration pages to the site's original domain. We've done this so that we can provide secure login for our clients via the network domain. Could this be the reason that these sites are showing no traffic? Because the site is public on the client domain but the admin is now done on the original domain? If so, what can we do to make this work?

In the basic network tracking settings we have admin pages tracking disabled and domain mapping enabled.

Any ideas for us?

Thanks

Allison

• Nithin
    • Support Wizard

Hi Allison,

Hope you are doing good today. :slight_smile:

Once you have enabled the Domain mapping option, under Network Admin > Settings > Google Analytics. This settings should allow the tracking of mapped domains.

A couple of days ago I changed the network domain mapping setting to redirect administration pages to the site’s original domain. We’ve done this so that we can provide secure login for our clients via the network domain. Could this be the reason that these sites are showing no traffic? Because the site is public on the client domain but the admin is now done on the original domain? If so, what can we do to make this work?

If I’m not mistaken, you did mention that you were having zero traffic for the past month, and I suppose it was working fine before. I’m not sure exactly whether what you stated could be the reason, I’ll have to check this with the developer for opinion. But before that, I would like you to check whether there is any plugin conflict, so that we could be ensure that whether any other plugins are causing these anomalies.

Please run a quick plugin/theme conflict test as illustrated in getting support manual (flowchart), and rule out whether any plugin is causing this issue.

http://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/using-wpmu-dev/getting-support/

To have a better idea about your current configuration, and to troubleshoot this further could you please enable support access, so that we could give a closer look. You can grant access from WPMU DEV > Support > Support Access > Grant Access, or check this manual: http://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wpmu-dev-dashboard-enabling-staff-login/

Please let us know once you enable access, so that we could get this sorted. Have a nice day. :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,

Nithin

• Nithin
    • Support Wizard

Hi Allison,

It seems like your are using the previous version of the plugin(v 3.1.5.1), could you please update the plugin to the latest version(v 3.1.5.5), and check whether it works fine.The latest version comes with improved dashboard stats, and other features. Would recommend you to test in the latest version, and let us know how that goes.

If you still find issue, please run a quick plugin/theme conflict test as illustrated in getting support manual (flowchart), and rule out whether any plugin is causing this issue.

http://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/using-wpmu-dev/getting-support/

Kind Regards,

Nithin

• Ben
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Hi there

I’ve updated the plugin on all three of our servers, but it’s made no difference.

A plugin conflict test on a live multisite with hundreds of sites is terrifying to me :disappointed:

Could you please check with the developer for their opinion about whether changing the domain mapping settings to redirect admin pages to the original domain (see my original question) would cause this problem?

Thanks

Allison

• Kasia Swiderska
    • Support nomad

Hello Allison,

We are still waiting for developers feedback on your questions – in the mean time would it be possible you could do test by reverting this settings for some time to see if statistics will start showing? That would be short test, just to see if there will be any change.

If yes, then we will have clear confirmation what is causing issue on your site.

kind regards,

Kasia

• Ben

Hi there,

OK, so we set up a sandbox copy of the network and here’s what I did:

1. Made sure it was using the latest version of the plugin

2. Deactivated all network activated plugins and deactivated all the site activated plugins on a site affected by the issue

3. Switched the theme to just basic Genesis framework

4. Reverted the setting that redirects admin to original domain

Nothing changed, unfortunately.

How long would it take for stats to start showing up?

Allison

• Nithin
    • Support Wizard

Hi Allison,

Normally the stats should show up without much of a lag, however I’ll have to check with the developer regarding whether there is any exact time frame for the stats to show up. Could you please enable support access to your sandbox staging website, so that we could test this extensively in your system, and give a closer look, and see what could be causing this.

You can grant access from WPMU DEV > Support > Support Access > Grant Access, or check this manual: http://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wpmu-dev-dashboard-enabling-staff-login/

Please let us know once you enable access, so that we could get this sorted. Have a nice day. :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,

Nithin

• Ben

Hi there,

Our sandbox isn’t universally available, so we’ll need to whitelist you and then give you an IP address to add to your hosts file. Could you please advise the static IP address we should use for the whitelist?

Allison

• Ben

Hi Kasia,

No-one has a static IP? That’s a problem. We can’t make the sandbox universally available.

Has anyone talked to a developer about my original question yet?

Allison

*starting to think maybe we need to start looking at other plugins

• Kasia Swiderska
    • Support nomad

Hello Allison,

I’m trying to find another staff member that has static IP, but at the moment no one has it.

We did spoke with developer – he had problem with accessing your site, but there is questions: stats are not showing in dashboard widget – but are they still recorded in GA for those broken sites (in service, not inside sites)?

I just realized that you are using this other Domain Mapping plugin so I send another message if this could be issue there.

kind regards,

Kasia

• Ben

Hi Kasia,

We have one property set up in Google Analytics for the network leapwp.co.uk. That’s still registering traffic. We have sites that are using the network tracking code UA-47298313-9 which are showing traffic in the dashboard widget (eg http://paynes.leapwp.co.uk) and sites using the same tracking code but not showing traffic (eg http://david-kitcat.leapwp.co.uk).

Could you please have another look at this today? I am happy to use logmein etc to let you poke around if that’s what it will take to find a solution.

Allison

• Ben

The same thing is also true of our other two networks. Each has a network tracking code and that’s showing up on all sites, traffic is being registered to that Google Analytics account, but not showing up in the dashboard of all sites.

• Ben

Ok, so it’s been almost a month now since the last WPMU Dev comment here. That’s not really good enough, eh guys? “Spectacular WordPress support from the experts who know it – WPMU DEV. Get your WordPress questions answered immediately.”

Can someone tell me how to get help with this issue?

• Ben

Thanks Kasia.

We have 1600+ websites, so switching the domain mapping plugin at this point would be rather difficult.

The mapping plugin we’re using is the one developed by Automattic, so it’s natural to assume that wpmudev plugins would be compatible with that, don’t you think?

In a chat conversation earlier in the week, the support person I spoke to (sorry – can’t find where records of that chat are located) also indicated that they would ask the developer. I haven’t heard anything back about that yet.

Allison

• Ben

The chat was on June 20, with James Morris.

If the choice is made not to ensure compatibility with the WordPress MU Domain Mapping plugin, please let me know rather than leave this support thread open and hanging.

We really need a resolution, and if that means moving away from using the wpmudev plugins we currently use, then we need to start planning around that.

Allison

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.