Google Analytics+ suddenly shows 0 traffic

Hello.
I have a problem with the Google Analytics+ plugin on all of our blogs. Sometimes it shows 0 traffic on the blogs on the current day or day before. If the user refreshes the page several times, then it sometimes show the correct statistics.

It is happening on all of our blogs in the network, no matter of theme and active plugins. I have tried deactivating all plugins and switching theme, but none of them have worked so far, so I don't know what is causing it to suddenly show 0 traffic, and one moment later, shows the correct statistics.

• Denitsa

Hello Mathias,
    I hope you are having an awesome day!

Do you have the latest version of the plugin? How are the stats recorded in GA (in the service, not inside the sites)?

Can you try the tips shared here and tell us the outcome?
    https://www.iteratemarketing.com/blog/the-ultimate-guide-to-diagnosing-traffic-drops-in-google-analytics/

Can you also grant support access from the dashboard plugin so we can take a closer look?
    This could be done via Dashboard - WPMU DEV -> Support -> Support Access -> Grant Access or by following this guide here:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wpmu-dev-dashboard-enabling-staff-login/

Keep us posted!

Kind regards,
    Denitsa

• Sajid

Hello Mathias,
    Hope you are doing good today :slight_smile:

I am sorry for delay on this ticket. Thanks for enabling support staff access, I could see the statistics on couple of your sites like lineoersted and livefrasjaelland and stats is not 0. I viewed some pages in another browser, refreshed the page and stats is still the same.

Please note that analytics is not real in Google Analytics + plugin. So if the user is seeing updated results next day then its working the way it should. Since, it checks for new data after every 24 hours for network and three hours for single site when it is configured for per site basis.

Take care and have a nice day :slight_smile:

Best Regards,
    Sajid - WPMU DEV Support

• Mathias

But the user can usually see their statistics, but suddenly it stopped working?

I actually expected a fix for it, because you was taking so long to answer the ticket. There is clearly something wrong, as it has worked perfectly before, but it doesn't anymore. Sometimes it shows the correct statistics, and sometimes it shows 0.

The user isn't always seeing the correct statistics the day after. Sometimes the last 2 days are displayed 0 in traffic, so there is defiantly something wrong.

• Sajid

Hello Mathias,

I am sorry for delay on this ticket we have been getting a huge number of tickets these days that effected our response time.

If this is not displaying the correct result even next day then there definitely something wrong on your setup (or plugin).

Also, you said, it was working fine before. So do you remember any thing you did on your site after that it stopped working. I mean, installed/updated any plugin or theme ?

It is good to make a plugin/theme conflict test as illustrated in below flowchart and described on getting support manual.

You can also do a soft deactivation of all plugins and theme via FTP or FileManager of cPanel. For plugins, rename the plugins folder to for example, plugins-inactive, create a new folder called "plugins" move just Google Analytics + plugin there and see if it works this time.

If works, then activate each plugin one by one to find out the real culprit.

While the plugins folder being renamed, do not go to Dashboard -> Plugins, because this will deactivate all plugins from database too and you have to activate one by one again.

If it does not turn out to be a conflict then the first thing I can think of at the moment is WP Cron. Please note that, Google Analytics + plugin relies on WP Cron that depends on front-end site visit and is not hundred percent accurate even on high traffic websites.

So I think the scripts are not running in time or not at all. To fix this issue, we have to hook it with system cron. You can do this via cPanel as explained in this article.

Or you can also do this by an alternate method explained here:
        https://developer.wordpress.org/plugins/cron/hooking-into-the-system-task-scheduler/

Hope that helps! Feel free to post a reply if you need further assistance :slight_smile:

Best Regards,
        Sajid - WPMU DEV Support

• Mathias

Hello Sajid

I have tried deactivating alle plugins, and switching theme, but none of it has worked.

Sometimes it shows the data correctly, but maybe if you visits the page later, and check again, it just shows 0 views. It is like it can’t always receive the data from Google Analytics, and other times it has no problems getting the data.

I don't understand the guide you have provided, and we don't have a cPanel on our site, as it is a VPS.

• Sajid

Hello Mathias,

Please send me the link of one of your subsite where you see this issue so I could further investigate this issue and make sure you keep the support staff access enabled.

To grant access go to Dashboard -> WPMU DEV -> Support -> Support Access -> Grant Support Access or see this manual for more details regarding how to enable support staff access.

I don't understand the guide you have provided, and we don't have a cPanel on our site, as it is a VPS.

If you are on VPS, then you can follow this official WordPress guide to replace WordPress Cron with real cron job. If you are not sure how to run the commands, then you may need to contact hosing support and I am sure they will be able to do it for you in no time.

Best Regards,
    Sajid - WPMU DEV Support

• Sajid

Hello Mathias,

Thanks for enabling support staff access. I could not see this issue on your site. I been on your site for about an hour, kept refreshing the page randomly but each time result stayed the same.

I checked this post in WP-Admin section of your website, here is the link to it:
    http://beautyydina.dk/wp-admin/post.php?post=3185&action=edit

Here is the screenshot taken from your site, on March 3, there were 45 page views, 38 visits and 18 unique visitors.

Each time I refreshed the page, it was same. From March 7 to March 12 there were no traffic at all and it kept displaying 0 and the results were consistent each time I refreshed the page.

Also, could you please take a look at the Google Analytics Dashboard too and compared the results ?

I compared the results of my own site and both are exactly same, in Google Analytics + and Google Analytics Dashboard.

If you find any issue again then please share the screenshot of it here so I could take another look.

Best Regards,
    Sajid - WPMU DEV Support

• Sajid

Hello Mathias,

Thanks for pointing out where exactly the issue is. But I can't see any inconsistencies on dashboard widget either. I stayed there for about half an hour and keep checking the statics after refreshing each time. The results stayed the same and consistent.

On March 14, there 18 page views, 15 visits and 14 unique visitors.

Where as today, March 16th, there are 2 page views, 2 visits and 2 unique visitors.

The reason, it is displaying 0 traffic on March when you checked is most likely this site is not synched with Google Analytics Dashboard at the time you saw the results. As mentioned earlier, it takes 3 hours for subsites and 24 hours for network to get the latest results and display here.

Just to make sure we both are on same page, we are testing the inconsistency of results on same site on each or random refresh/page loads ?

Best Regards,
    Sajid - WPMU DEV Support