Google Chrome has a new mobile emulator

You want this, I want this. We all want this so damn hard.

The latest development build of Chrome includes a fully functional mobile device emulator, complete with user agent spoofing ant touch simulation. I blogged about it here just a few minutes ago.

Want to check it out risk free? Check out Google’s “Canary” browser in the Chromium release channel.

This update is absolutely transformative if you’re a front end engineer or visual designer.

• Tyler Postle
    • CGO

Hey Ian,

Hope you’re doing well today.

This is awesome! Thanks for sharing :slight_smile:

I’ll have to give it a try. I’m not a frontend engineer or visual designer but can definitely see how useful this is.

Great post too by the way. Short and informative. Looks like I’ll have some good bedtime reading to do later as well :p

All the best,

Tyler

• Imperative Ideas
    • HummingBird

Glad you enjoyed it. The new mobile emulator is useful to anyone who runs a site. If your site looks like crap on an iPhone 4 running a 3G connection, that’s a good thing to know about.

Sure, the bonus as a designer is that you can see the calculated CSS definitions for the exact device you’re emulating and code changes in real time. That’s HUGE. But it’s still a killer app for anyone who runs a site.

Note that in version 40 the method of detaching the developer tools has changed. You need to do a long press on the dock button to bring up the detach option. I only found that thanks to the Stackexchange Superuser site. If you don’t know that, you’ll wonder why the tools are attached to your window again.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.