Entering a new Google Drive destination, I made the mistake of pasting the Client ID into the Client Secret field. Still unaware of the mistake, I clicked Save Destination and then followed with Authorize.
The authorisation failed (with an unrelated message about missing App name or something!) so I went back to the Destinations page to edit the Google Drive destination and noticed too many asterixes in the Client Secret field. "Easily fixed, just copy/paste the correct secret," I thought but it turns out this is not possible.
Only deleting the destination and starting fresh will solve mistaken input.
Not a real big deal, it's not difficult to start again, but I still thought I should mention this issue. It took me a few tries to realise that it simply did not register the new input :slight_smile: