[Google Maps] Location Submission Google Maps App

My client is a towing company. One of the challenges of a towing company is finding the exact location of a tow when the caller may not know where they are.

We want to use the Google maps plugin to achieve this. However I have tried and I just can't get it to work. This is what we want to do.

We have a page called "Find me now". The customer will be able to go on the page and see their exact location, then submit their location as a guest.

I am able to create the location map and see where I am. However I can't get the shortcodes to work to submit. And how will the website owner see where they are…

Please help.

Michael

• Nastia
    • Support Rock Star

Hello Michael

Hope all is well!

Out of the box, it is not possible to achieve with the Google Maps plugin. As I understood the machine’s locations are changing constantly, so the locations need to be tracked live, which include GPS to be installed on the towing machines and integrated with the website; it should be possible to achieve along with a mobile application. With the Google Maps the locations can’t be tracked, the “drivers” will require to log in every time to the website and post a map with their current location.

Please have a look at these plugins:

https://wordpress.org/plugins/gps-tracker/

https://wordpress.org/plugins/alivestats-live-tracker/

https://wordpress.org/plugins/trackserver/

Hope this helps!

Cheers,

Nastia

• Michael
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

this is not the question I asked. Let’s try this again.

There is a home base. The towing company.

Then there are people stuck on the side of the road that “need a tow”

Under normal circumstances when this person needs a tow they call a phone number. They tell the tow truck company where they are. Then they send the tow truck.

Many people do not know where they are. So on their CELL PHONE/MOBILE Device they have GPS location.

On a page we designed there is the Google Maps plugin. YOURS – One that claims the following:

Display visitor’s current location

So far we are able to do just that – we created a page that will show the user their exact location – but your software claims that they can “send” the location –

that is what I need

• Dimitris
    • Support Star

Hello Michael,

hope you're doing good! :slight_smile:

If you've enabled already the Where am I? add-on, you can additionally activate the Automatically add visitor location to the marker list for my map option in Settings -> Google Maps Pro -> Where am I?.

By doing so, in the embedded map on page, users will get a "This is you" marker.

Clicking on the "Directions" link below that, will get them their specific address.

There isn't any built-in way to send you (admins) this information, so for that you will need some kind of form submission, maybe Forminator plugin could further assist you on that.

But still users can get directions between the initial marker of map and their location, as shown in next screencast: https://monosnap.com/file/jet5a6tQaNEBfgSozBoDZKXCWXccJA

Hope that was some help!

Warm regards,

Dimitris

• Michael
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

alright – this is better –

If you go under "User Check-ins" there seems to be the opposite of what you describe – and it is very misleading. Also – I think there is this assumption that we are all geniuses :slight_smile: (I am pretty smart) but there is no literature that describes the functionality. So let's break it down –

In overview I see standard Shortcode right [between these guys] – but here is the problem – there are tons of options below – how do we use them – just add them in the brackets with spaces?

Also – see where it say's "Add button below map that allows user to manually set his location"

Under check-ins there is also "Guests can check-in their location"

so this is where I am very confused.

Also – if these functions are all available – where does the data print to? where does it go?

• Dimitris
    • Support Star

Hello there Michael

I'm sorry for the misunderstanding here, I haven't realised that you were using the "User Check-ins" addon.

In overview I see standard Shortcode right [between these guys] – but here is the problem – there are tons of options below – how do we use them – just add them in the brackets with spaces?

That's right, you can use either

[agm_add_checkin]

or

[agm_show_checkins id="1" automatic="true" show_button="true"]

More info: https://www.smashingmagazine.com/2012/05/wordpress-shortcodes-complete-guide/

Also – see where it say's "Add button below map that allows user to manually set his location"

This won't get the user location automatically, but it will add a link below the map, like this:

Under check-ins there is also "Guests can check-in their location"

The difference is, if you want only logged-in users or even guests (not logged-in users), to share their location.

Also – if these functions are all available – where does the data print to? where does it go?

In my previous screenshot, I used the [agm_show_checkins] shortcode, with the ID of a map that I'd created already. As you can see in the documentation of this shortcode:

"Display a google map with the specified locations. The shortcode supports all options of the [map] shortcode."

If you select the [agm_add_checkin] shortcode instead, the map is simply hidden with CSS. :wink:

Hope that was some help!

Warm regards,

Dimitris

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.