Google Maps not identifying our location correctly

I am using the google maps plugin, when I type in our address information, it doesnt pull up the correct address. I move the bubble to our location, but when you select “get directions” from the front end, it gives directions to the wrong location. I have tried entering our address several different ways, but all give the wrong location. When I go to http://www.googlemaps.com and type in our address it yields the correct address.

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings drjared,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention and what is the URL to the page where you have Google Maps posted and what is the address in question?

On a side note your ticket similar to this one is next up in Que in my regular support feed which will have results today.

In any event, please advise as to the URL and address so that we can indeed investigate this issue.

Cheers, Joe

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings drjared,

We have not heard back from you as to the status of this issue.

If you are still having an issue please let us know so that we may try to get you fixed up as soon as possible by choosing to check mark this ticket as unresolved below and posting any new errors or symptoms you are noticing.

This action will also bring your ticket up front back in plain view again within the ticket system.

Thank you for being a WPMU DEV Community Member!

Cheers, Joe

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings drjared,

Thank you for the additional details and visiting the page above I do get one Java Script error when checking the page using Chrome or Firefox control+shift+J and the error is:

FB.getLoginStatus() called before calling FB.init(). all.js:52

Though I do not believe that this is related to the reported issue but a different issue altogether.

I admit I do not know what further advice to give digging into this item, therefore I will see if I can get the lead developer in here with his invaluable insight into this plugin for his advice/advise for us.

Though this may take a bit longer then a normal ticket, I will try to get him in here asap.

Cheers, Joe

• Vladislav
    • Dead Eye Dev

Hello,

The reason behind this is that the Google geocode returns an list of possible matches, and the first one, which is what automatically gets used by the plugin, isn’t actually the best possible match for your exact location. Having said all that, the location match I got on the Google Maps site seems to be exactly the same as on your site: http://screencast.com/t/FDhYCWfcO2 Have you perhaps adjusted the marker position manually on your site?

• drjared
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hi Vladislav,

Yes, I was able to manually move the marker. However, When you select “Get Directions” right below, it gives directions to the other (wrong) location, not to the marker I set. Is there anyway to set it up so that the directions go to where i manually set the marker?

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings drjared,

Thank you for the additional clarification and I believe the lead developer was trying to point out that he gets the correct location without adjusting the marker and then in your last post you claim to adjust the marker.

What happens with the directions if as in Vladislav’s testing you do not adjust the marker and ask for the directions? Are they then correct?

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• drjared
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

No if I do not adjust the marker they are incorrect. For instance, if I select "get directions" (see screenshot) Its showing directions to that wrong location ("B" on the map) instead of taking it to our correct location, which the purple marker is on.

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings drjared,

Thank you for the additional input and I will go ahead and flag the lead developer for his continued advice/advisement regarding this issue.

Though this may take a bit longer then a normal ticket, I will try to get him in here asap.

Cheers, Joe

• Vladislav
    • Dead Eye Dev

Hello,

I originally suspected that since the Google geocode returns an list of possible matches, the plugin uses the wrong one to map your address. However, this is not the case – apparently, Google uses a bit different (i.e. more precise) location matching internally.

The latest plugin release (v2.6.4, just released) comes with directions snapping option on the settings page. If you set this option to “No”, the plugin will attempt to calculate directions to your moved marker directly, without the aid of the geocode-snapped location identification. This should produce the proper directions for your edited location marker.

• Vladislav
    • Dead Eye Dev

Hello,

Can you please update your plugin to v2.6.4? I can see that the google_maps_user.js file served with your page is from the previous plugin version. Once you update, there will be a new “Directions Snapping” option in the plugin settings, which I was referring to – setting this option to “No” will allow you to get directions without geocode snapping.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.