Google Maps Plugin API

Hi There,
I hate to be the bad news messenger but as of 22 of this month google maps plugins need an api key or wont work
heres the info:
https://developers.google.com/maps/pricing-and-plans/standard-plan-2016-update
I have my api key, but need a place to put it on plugin :slight_smile:
Can you help me
Best Regards

Victor

• Milan
    • WordPress Wizard

Hello Victor Ramos

Hope you are well today and thanks for informing us. :slight_smile:

There isn't any place in plugin to put Google Map API key, but article says it'll needed in future if we want to use its API. So I've pinged our plugin developer and informed him about this. He is not online currently but he will get back to me, as soon as possible and I'll update you here.

Thanks a lot for informing us and being awesome WPMU DEV member. :slight_smile:
    Cheers,
    Milan

• Victor Ramos
    • Flash Drive

Hi there,

Yes article says in the futura, meaning later than June 22 :slight_smile:

Maps are already broken, see this example:
    http://sandrahernandez.mx/testmapas/ (keyless)
    http://sandrahernandez.mx/contact/ (api key)
    I had to use another maps aplication that have api key slot :slight_smile:

Just giving the heads up, the future is here and plugin needs that :slight_smile:
    And by plugin i mean me hahahahaha
    Have a great day :slight_smile:

Victor

• Milan
    • WordPress Wizard

Hello All,

Hope you are all are well. :slight_smile:

After speaking with developer I got to know few key points which may help you with your apps. :slight_smile: So I am sharing with you all. And yes this has been reported and our developer are looking on it to fix this for you all. :slight_smile: Just give us some time and you will have fully functional plugin very soon. :slight_smile:

Key Points
    #1) Google App Accounts that already existed before 22-june are unaffected, they can still use maps without the key
    #2) Apps that are created after 22-june will need a key to access the maps API;

Hope these points help you. We will very soon fix this. :slight_smile:
    Cheers,
    Milan

• Ben
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Hi there,

So we just installed the 'beta' on one of our servers, but unfortunately the update made all of our maps (even the ones built before Jun22) show the Oops something went wrong error. So, we had to revert.

We're also considering the fact that it's looking like we will have to generate an API key for every site, which is painful. Especially if that is true of sites prior to Jun22 - that's a burden we just can't resource.

To be honest, we're wondering if going back to iframes is easier, except of course for the part where the code is stripped out if any of our users who aren't superusers. So then we are looking at installing some kind of plugin that disguises iframes in shortcodes.

*sigh.

What is the expected behaviour of this beta? Should it cause a problem for maps prior to Jun 22?

Thanks

• Milan
    • WordPress Wizard

Hello Victor Ramos

Hope you are well today and thanks for asking. :slight_smile:

It's always good to create new thread for your quires because it allows us to go granular and work at individual level. :slight_smile:

What is the expected behaviour of this beta? Should it cause a problem for maps prior to Jun 22?

Yes it'll surely affect, because beta now calls API with key appended to it. So if you go for beta, you'll need to create API key for sure. Without it, every single map on your site falls down with beta. :slight_smile:

If you are facing difficulty and don't know how to create API key for plugin, please do create new thread, include this thread's reference and one of representative will explain you how. :slight_smile:

Hope this helps you. :slight_smile:
    Kind Regards,
    Milan

• Ben
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Hi Milan,

Thanks for your reply. I added my comments here because I was directed to this thread to download the beta, so I figured it was the best place to talk about it's behaviour. If you'd like me to start a new thread about the beta though, I'm happy to do so.

So is there no way that the plugin can check the date the map was created, and call the API with the key for the newer ones but not for the older ones? Thereby not breaking the older maps?

We have 800+ websites with older, still functioning maps on them, so we're not keep to have to break them then generate and update an API key for each site :disappointed:

Allison

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hello Allison!

So is there no way that the plugin can check the date the map was created, and call the API with the key for the newer ones but not for the older ones? Thereby not breaking the older maps?

I'm not sure if this is doable but certainly it's something worth looking into. The plugin we shared here is still a "beta" version so there's a room for improvement. Our developers are still working on it.

Best regards,
    Adam

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hello Victor!

No, we didn't lost the maps plugin :slight_smile: As you know, the beta version is ready and being tested so it's just a matter of public release. It's true that I'm not able to predict any dates of that release but "there's hope" :slight_smile:

I can also confirm that upcoming Upfront will also include a fix for this. I already had a chance to test it and it works great.

Best regards,
    Adam

• Victor Ramos
    • Flash Drive

Adam,

Adam,

Its great that the beta release is working but im eating my nails waiting for the public release :slight_smile:
    I read about a user who had hes site broken a few days ago because of the beta that why i rateher waiut for the final release

Have a great day

Victor

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hello wash!

Please see this post above:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/google-maps-plugin-api#post-1127364

It links to the beta release download of the Google Maps plugin that includes an API Key option and should work fine. I'm not able to give you an ETA on the stable release so please use that beta version for now (it's exactly the same as current stable release but it supports current Google Maps API).

Kind regards,
    Adam

• Justin
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

I think it's well known that I'm a long-time fan of WPMUDEV, but scenarios like this give me pause and make me question whether I should be running client sites on this 'platform'. To the point, why are you still advertising and distributing a plugin that is known to not work? If a plugin is in your repository, then I think it should be fair to assume that it will work. All of us in the Wordpress community understand that the underlying technology and code is in a constant state of flux, ie, if you load a new plugin it could conflict with existing plugins, etc. But in this case, you are distributing a non-working plugin in the repository with absolutely no warning that a 'beta' version is required instead. So customers like myself have to spend almost an hour investigating possible conflicts, only to come to the Support Forum and discover that you knew all along? Really guys? Like most WP users, I have a pretty high threshold for frustration, but this seems outside of the norm. I expect better communication from WPMUDEV and deception is not a word that I should be associating with a company of this caliber. Sorry to have to include a complaint here, but I would have to creat e a new ticket anyway, so I might as well leave it here.

• Milan
    • WordPress Wizard

Hello Justin,

Thanks for your comment. We totally understand your point here. I've escalated this query to higher authority. Hopefully very soon this will be taken care of. Thanks a lot for your insightful reply here.

We are sorry for inconvenience you had to face here.!
    Kind Regards,
    Milan

• Justin
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Thank you Milan,

Communication IS leadership, and I appreciate the opportunity for dialogue.

To be clear, I consider WPMUDEV's Google Maps plugin to be the best of its kind, not simply for its ease of use, multiple options, and nifty integration of 'directions', but also for it does NOT do - many of the alternative map plugins contain bloated code, adware, and spotty support. To put things in perspective, the API key issue is a minor frustration, whereas the alternative route of using a different maps plugin is often a nightmare. Thanks for the terrific support and elevating this concern; I hope we all benefit. Keep up the great work.

• Milan
    • WordPress Wizard

Hello Justin ,

Hope you are well today and thanks for your further insights.:slight_smile:

Just to let you know, we have updated our Google Map plugin and now its fully ready to accept Google Map API key. We look forward for community support for your views. If plenty of member supports it, we will definitely think about it.

Again thanks and have a nice day. :slight_smile:
    Best Regards,
    Milan

• Milan
    • WordPress Wizard

Hello Justin ,

Hope you are well today and thanks for your further insights.:slight_smile:

Just to let you know, we have updated our Google Map plugin and now its fully ready to accept Google Map API key. We look forward for community support for your views. If plenty of member supports it, we will definitely think about it.

Again thanks and have a nice day. :slight_smile:
    Best Regards,
    Milan

• Milan
    • WordPress Wizard

Hello Ian,

Hope you are well today. :slight_smile:

If you are asking in context of Google Console project, you would need to enable Google Map JavaScript API, then generate key for you project and add it to Settings > Google Maps > Options > Google Map API Key option.

See these screenshot to know where I am pointing you at.

Hope this helps you. :slight_smile:
    Best Regards,
    Milan

• Justin
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hi Milan,

Following-up on my comment on October 5th, I have re-tested the latest Google Maps plugin with the API Key enhancement, and I'm glad to report that the plugin is working as intended. Thank you for the rapid response and support. I'm very happy with the outcome.

One quick note, WPMUDEV should update the plugin's installation instructions and screenshots in the repository so that other members don't have to search for this thread.

Thanks again!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.