Google maps plugin: Problems dropping marker

I installed the google maps plugin for my users to place markers in certain places on the map, which in my case would usually be in the middle of the woods or on a lake somewhere. When using this plugin, if you click to drop the marker on the map and then try to move it into place, it jumps to the nearest address on the map, which could be miles away from where my users want their marker.

http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=66cOJIr4l3k

Any thoughts?

• 3SixtyEvolve
    • New Recruit

Hi @andersonwebsites

Greetings from the WPMU DEV Support Team and thank you for being a member.

I checked this in my own test environment and also found that it does that. I will therefore ask the Developer for feedback on this and revert back to you with a solution at the earliest.

Thank you for your patience and I will be in touch shortly.

Have a good day!

GinaB

• andersonwebsites
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Thanks for your reply!

On actual Google Maps, regardless of your zoom level, you can drop a marker and move it to any location. However, with this Google Maps Plugin, I've been zoom in very close and the marker will complete snap to the nearest location, usually completely out of view.

• sciamannikoo
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

The problem is this snapping "feature" (more an annoying feature).

In Google, if I search for these coordinates, I get the right marker (the green arrow) and the snapped pinpoint at the same time: 45.741262,7.376118 (http://g.co/maps/j2ss2).

This would be a good solution to me.

The same coordinates used with this plugin will only show the snapped marker and this is not a good solution at all.

Please help.

• Vladislav
    • Dead Eye Dev

Hello,

The latest plugin release (v2.5.3, just released) has an additional option in plugin settings to toggle the marker snapping off. Once you turn it off, you should be able to position your marker precisely where you want it to be, without it going to the nearest possible location.

• Vladislav
    • Dead Eye Dev

Hi,

Such map image related issues are most often caused by a CSS conflict, especially seeing as how you tried another maps plugin with similar results. To find a specific solution for this particular issue, we first have to zero in on the particular CSS rule that's causing it. Have you tried temporarily switching your theme to something else?

• sciamannikoo

Thank you Ve,

I can't switch theme, as the widget is... well, a widget, and it would be lost.

In my case I can bypass the issue as I need a smaller map there (250x250) and with this size the issue disappears.

I'm not so sure that is related to a CSS problem, but again, I won't dig too much to this, as I prefer not to mess with the current state of the website.

However:
    - About the new "Snap" option, I can see it, I can save it, but is ignored: marker keeps getting snapped.
    - Editing an existing map I get "Map not saved"

• sciamannikoo

Hello Kimberly.

Actually nobody ever answered: I was still waiting to get some help.

However I've just checked and it looks like the issue is only with existing maps: editing them doesn't remove the snapping.
    So I have to create a new version of the map: in this way the snapping goes away.

It appears instead the the second issue about saving an existing maps is gone: did I forget an update that I've installed? Well, it doesn't matter, as long as this works.

• Kimberly
    • Champion of Loops

Ok, lets start back with Ve's suggestion :slight_smile:

Such map image related issues are most often caused by a CSS conflict, especially seeing as how you tried another maps plugin with similar results. To find a specific solution for this particular issue, we first have to zero in on the particular CSS rule that's causing it. Have you tried temporarily switching your theme to something else?

Have you tried to switch to a default twenty theme?

• Vladislav
    • Dead Eye Dev

Hi,

As for the "map not saved" issue, can you please try this: keep the snapping option turned off, and open your map for editing. Place your marker exactly where you want it and, while still in the editor, temporarily rename your map to something else, then save it. That should get rid of the message and ensure that your changes got saved.

Also, for reference, we're also discussing the maps being "cut off" issue on this thread: https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/google-maps-are-blank-or-missing-large-portions-of-the-map

• 3SixtyEvolve
    • New Recruit

Greetings andersonwebsites

Hope you're well.

It's been a while since I last heard from you, so just checking in to see if you need any further assistance. If you managed to solve the problem, then I'm glad. If however, you still need support, please let me know.

I will now resolve this thread, but please don't hesitate to reopen it if you still require additional feedback from our Support Team. Just select the 'Mark as Not Resolved (re-open)' box below the post area (otherwise we might miss your new post).

Have a good day!

Gina

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.