Google Tag Manager: Cross-Domain Tracking (Views & Goals)

Note: I would appreciate it if you could please ping someone at WPMUDEV who is well-versed in GTM / GA to comment on this ticket. I need someone who has previously implemented cross-domain tracking and thoroughly understands its ins-and-outs.

Situation: I have used Google Tag Manager to set up Google Analytics (GA - Universal) on a multisite network . There is one GTM container, and each website has its own GA property. I used a GTM variable to reference all of the GA properties. I am able to track cross-domain sessions. In testing, I am able to follow a user's session across multiple domains under the same session / client ID.

Problem: I'm stuck with what to do next. I'd like to create some Goals and Views that track a user's journey through my sites and measure the usual stats (bounce, drop-off points conversions, etc.). However, I'm not sure where to begin. I see plenty of information on the Internet for how to set up cross-domain GA tags in GTM. However, I don't see anything out there for how to create Views and Goals. For example:

1. Do I create Goals in the destination site's GA account (e.g. mycheckout.com), or the site where the session begins (e.g. myproductinfo.com)?
2. When creating Goals, do I only use the permalink slug, or the entire link?
3. How does this information roll up into one report?

I'm sure there will be many more questions, but these can get the ball rolling. Additionally, if you know of any tutorials that help explain this part of the process, it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks for your help!
Chris

• Jude

Howdy Chris

Hope all is well with you !

While Im not an expert in GA or GTM, I have had a bit of exp setting this sort of this up. Here goes

1. Do I create Goals in the destination site's GA account (e.g. mycheckout.com), or the site where the session begins (e.g. myproductinfo.com)?

This'd be the site where the session begins

2. When creating Goals, do I only use the permalink slug, or the entire link?

This'd be the entire link

3. How does this information roll up into one report?

The aggregation and consolidation will be done by GA depending on the views and data you want. I m not well versed in this domain.

That said let me know if you have anything specific, I can ask some of my developer colleagues here at DEV.

Cheers
    Jude

• Chris

Thanks Jude,

I have come across a few resources that suggest creating a roll-up property in GA. Then, add this to every site in the network. So, each property will have two GA IDs - its own unique ID + the network roll-up ID. Then, create different views for this. Here's one article on the topic.

Is this necessary? Based upon our discussion above, I assumed I could just create goals and views using the setup I have above (each property with its own GA ID).

Thanks,
    Chris

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.