Googlebot

I have a lot of broken links and also my site has gone down twice this week. While I am tying to put out the fires at weightfan.com is it best to

1. Let google bots do thier thing
2. prevent googlebots from accessing my site.
3. Which method has the potential to hurt my rankings/other metrics more??

• Timothy
    • Chief Pigeon

Hey 1happykamper, hope you are well.

Google is pretty much the search engine dominating the market now. I don't often hear of Lycos, Altavista or any of the old, old ones. So stopping Google from indexing your site will of course hurt your rankings and traffic.

What sort of issues are you having which would make you want to prevent your site being indexed?

Take care.

• 1happykamper
    • Flash Drive

Thx for your help. Webmaster tools shows dozens of broken 404 links to my site at weightfan.com. The plugin I use - broken link checker -shows only 8! I am new at this and have yet to find a way to not only check the links but fix/unlink them.

In addition my server has gone off line twice this week - not sure why hence my concern that when googlebots do crawl they will see nothing!!

Commnets please/

• Timothy
    • Chief Pigeon

Hey again.

If it were me then I would look at investigating why the server is going off... What happens? nothing responds? It needs rebooting? Something else?

Looking at your tags list I see some exist and some don't. Do those tags actually exist in the admin area? Where they deleted? What widget do you use for those tags?

Thanks.

• 1happykamper
    • Flash Drive

Hi Timothy and thanks for your reply. I see all those tags in the admin area -I have NO idea what widget created these - Q: is this how they get created in the first place -a widget..or?

What are the implications if I did delete the tags that are giving googlebot 404 messages. One tag for example links to 112 posts!

Thanks in advance.

John

• Timothy
    • Chief Pigeon

Hey John.

Hi Timothy and thanks for your reply. I see all those tags in the admin area -I have NO idea what widget created these - Q: is this how they get created in the first place -a widget..or?

Tags are created from the tag page, or whilst making a post. Depending on plugins, some post types might also have tags which would be independent.

If you delete a tag and 112 posts are linked, then that tag no longer exists and so you won't find those 112 posts through it again.

What happens if you go to:

Admin --> Settings --> Permalinks

And change em to the default option?

Do those tags then work?

Also which widget is that? Is it a custom one, part of the theme, default?

Take care.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.