Google's intrusive interstitials standards compliant?

Wanted to know if Hutle and PopUp are able to conform to Google's intrusive interstitials
standards for mobile phones.

http://searchengineland.com/interstitialgeddon-google-warns-will-crack-intrusive-interstitials-next-january-257252

From what I've read in the article it looks like banners that use a "reasonable amount of screen space" are ok. Users will display intrusive pop ups if they want, there's no stopping that. I see there's an option to hide on mobile devices, which is a good route... but for those that want to follow Google's guidelines and still have a PopUp, is there a setting/option that will make the PopUps conform as well, instead of taking up entire screen and going against guidelines?

• Denitsa

Hello Robert,
    I hope you're having a great day!

The standards outlined are a bit vague on some points, so it could be that this is going to be a "trial and error" thing. For example, both the popups provided by Hustle and Popup are "Easily dismissable", since they can be dismissed by clicking (or tapping) anywhere on the page.

You could try and set some Custom CSS rules in order for your popups to abide to the Google interstitials standards. You'd have to try and play around with the CSS to get exactly what you want though. I've outlined some starting points for you to try below. Keep in mind that these could vary depending on your desired layout, images, etc.

So, for the PopUp plugin, you need to find out the ID of your popup first. You do that by going to the popup and clicking Edit. Then, you look at your browser's address bar for the post=number like so:

That's the ID of your popup. I'll use mine, which is 144, for the sample code snippet below. You paste that into the Custom CSS (optional) box while editing a popup.

.wdpu-144 {
        height: 30%;
        top: 0% !important;
    }

.wdpu-msg {
        width: 90%;
        height: 90% !important;
        top: 5% !important;
    }

This will produce the following on a mobile screen:

When using Hustle the size of the popups shouldn't be a problem since they're relatively small, but here's how to remove the graying out of the whole screen so you can be sure that you're not "Displaying a standalone interstitial that the user has to dismiss before accessing the main content" (citing the Google article you lnked). You paste that into the Add Custom CSS to this Opt-in box while editing in the Content and Design tab of an opt-in in Hustle. Don't forget to hit the Apply custom CSS button afterwords.

.wpoi-popup-overlay {
    width: 0;
    height: 0;
    }

I hope this information has been helpful. If I can help you further in this or other questions, please let me know!

KInd regards,
    Denitsa

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.