Grant Extended Permissions Error from FB API

WP 3.1.2
Ultimate FB 1.0.9
Network install, all sub sites using the master API key / IDs / etc
Domain Mapping Plugin

I can't remember if this is the first time I've tried to Grant Extended Permissions on a domain mapped site, but when I do I get this error in the FB pop-up that usually has the Allow button:

API Error Code: 191
API Error Description: The specified URL is not owned by the application
Error Message: redirect_uri is not owned by the application.

• ClvrTv

Yeah, arg. Was kind of afraid of that. Appreciate you looking into it. That would basically make this entire plugin not useful in a Multisite environment with mapped domains, right? I mean, you'd have to basically run it in individual site mode and create a separate FB App for every single site...

But that doesn't make sense either, because there are apps out there that work through a single app and auto-publish successfully on mapped domains... we're doing this with DLVR.it.

One thing your developers might look at for the FB thing - the plugin should talk to FB through the original blog name / domain which will be based on the host domain - not the normal filtered domain mapped blog name.

For example, our FB app is created for clvr.tv
    All our sites start out as site.clvr.tv (which I think is ok with FB)
    When we domain map a site we domain map to site.com (which is not ok with FB).
    However, if the plugin were to authenticate and communicate with the FB app as site.clvr.tv instead, I think it would be OK. ?

Thanks!

• ClvrTv

Since then, I think I have discovered a work-around that will hopefully help you too. Everything seems to work ok IF you log into your dashboard with the local (not mapped) domain name. In my case for example.com this looks something like:

http:// example.clvr.tv / wp-admin

Logged in that way (which the admin side does not forward to the mapped URL) then you can configure the Ultimate FB plugin. With those settings saved, it can successfully talk to the FB app which should be registered for the domain like: clvr.tv and honors subdomains.

Then, everything seems to work OK.

Of course, a big drawback for this is that the URLs that are sent to facebook like for autopost are example.clvr.tv and NOT example.com.

If the Ultimate FB plugin could detect a mapped domain and send that to FB instead, that would be perfect.

But I *think* that as long as you set it up logged into admin under the original subdomain, everything should work. I'll continue to observe and see if this plays out in all scenarios. I know that I have it working in at least a couple cases of mapped domains. Hope this helps!

• wave

I am confused!
    Can the FB plugin handle mapped domains? Yes or no?

I get the following error when trying to grant permissions

API Error Code: 191
    API Error Description: The specified URL is not owned by the application
    Error Message: redirect_uri is not owned by the application.

All FB application URLs are pointing to the mapped domain, not to the domain hosting the WP multi site install. This is the way I want it as I want no reference to the multi site install domain.

• Mason

Hiya wave,

There are several basic scenarios to consider:
    1) Individual site, with individual Facebook app
    2) WordPress multisite install, network activated plugin, single Facebook app
    3) WordPress mutlisite install, network activated plugin, multiple Facebook apps
    4) WordPress mutlisite install, plugin activated on individual sites,
    multiple Facebook apps

The domain mapped sites will work with scenarios 1, 3 and 4, provided
    that each site is set up with a properly configured Facebook app -
    meaning, each site has its' own Facebook app that is configured to
    work with the site mapped domain. One caveat for scenario 3 is that
    the network admin shouldn't force Facebook API data to child site
    owners from network settings.

Hope this helps!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.