Granting membership access manually if payment is made outside of website

Hello. I have a membership site where I charge users to access premium content on my website. I am using the PayPal Single Payments Gateway. The Mode is Finite. The Period is 1 Year.

So since membership renewal is not automatic, then after a year the user would lose access, and would need to purchase the membership again. This is the way we like it.

Some of my users want to pay for a membership to access the premium content, but don't want to pay online. So I allow them to pay with a check. I still have them register on the website, but they just don't complete the payment step. But by not completing the payment, by default they cannot access the premium content.

I have two questions.

#1) Am I correct in assuming that I need to manually move the users that pay outside of the website to the subscription plan for paid users? I assume by doing that then they should be able to access the premium content.

#2) If I move them to the paid membership, will they inherit the Period (which is 1 Year) I set for that subscription, thus lose their access 1 year after I move them to the paid subscription? I wasn't sure that when I manually move a member to the paid subscription membership, if somehow the expiration of their membership is skipped or messed up or if I need to manually keep track of all of this myself.

Thank you.

• Tyler Postle

Hey Nick,

Hope you're doing well today :slight_smile:

Thanks for explaining the situation!

#1) Am I correct in assuming that I need to manually move the users that pay outside of the website to the subscription plan for paid users? I assume by doing that then they should be able to access the premium content.

Yes, that's correct :slight_smile: another option would be to setup a private free version of the subscription plan (you can still list the price) and have that as a private link you send those users too, then they can sign up and everything, without having to pay at that point.

#2) If I move them to the paid membership, will they inherit the Period (which is 1 Year) I set for that subscription, thus lose their access 1 year after I move them to the paid subscription? I wasn't sure that when I manually move a member to the paid subscription membership, if somehow the expiration of their membership is skipped or messed up or if I need to manually keep track of all of this myself.

Yes, make sure you add the subscription and not just access level. Adding the subscription will inherit the end date as well :slight_smile:

Hope that helps Nick! Let me know if you need any further assistance.

All the best,
    Tyler

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.