Greetings, I am attempting to map a domain and I am getting

Greetings,

I am attempting to map a domain and I am getting the 'Domain Name is unavailable to access' error message. This is not a new domain name, I have had this for more than a year. I installed the Domain Mapping plugin following WPMU instructions, setup wildcard A record on the domain, set an A record on the domain to map to the correct IP. When I try to map that subdomain to the mydomainname.com, then I get the error message. I have a dedicated server and IP. I am adding several websites to my multisite network that previously existed on that same server and IP address. The only thing that I haven't done is park the domain to be mapped. Do I need to park it or is there some other issue here?

thanks

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

Hi there @Danny,

Hope you're well today and thanks for your question.

Once you park the domain this should all work correctly, normally when it isn't parked, say if it's a add-on domain, the document root would be wrong.

Once parked the mapping will work correctly, any issues we're here to help.

Thanks!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

Hi there @Danny,

Hope you're well today and thanks for the additional information.

There's a couple of options here. Either change the document root for the domain to point to the multisite.

Or delete the domain directory and then it should allow you to park that domain.

Thanks!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• Danny
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Greetings,

I cannot get domain mapping to work. It cannot resolve the domain name. There are two different scenarios. and I will document in two different posts. I have set up domain mapping according to the plugin instructions. I created the wildcard subdomain record. I updated the A record in Godaddy to point to the IP of my multisite. That record is host @ and points to correct IP for my multisite. In the client admin I go into tools/domain mapping and it cannot resolve the domain name. It has been more than a week since I changed the A record. I have flushed DNS cache and browser cache. I am at a loss why this doesn't work.

• Danny

Ok, here is the second scenario. This is for one of my sites and I am using addon domain for this site. I am getting 404 error and now I cannot access that site. I have no clue what I would need to do to .htaccess. Domain mapping should be an easy thing but I cannot get this to work either.

Please help.

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

Hi there @Danny,

Hope you're well today and sorry about the delay here.

Can you send me the following please for further investigation?

- In the subject field add "Attn: Jack Kitterhing"
    - Link back to this thread
    - Include admin/network access
    - Include FTP
    - Include any relevant URLS for your site
    - Include all sites your having issues and the sub sites with the domains that should be mapped to them.
    - Include cPanel access where possible.

On the contact form, select "I have a different question", this ensures it comes through and gets assigned to me.

https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/

Thank you.

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• Danny

@Jack,

Before I do that some more information. Maybe this will shed some light. For the test site gicleeprintimaging.com, I can go to specific pages on that site such as http://gicleeprintimaging.com/art-reproduction/ but I get these errors:

Warning: session_start(): open(/tmp/sess_6463ae6928b05f52f3b04f97c893dbcf, O_RDWR) failed: Permission denied (13) in /home/janua/public_html/wp-content/plugins/wpmu-dev-facebook/lib/external/facebook.php on line 49

Warning: session_start(): Cannot send session cache limiter - headers already sent (output started at /home/janua/public_html/wp-content/plugins/wpmu-dev-facebook/lib/external/facebook.php:49) in /home/janua/public_html/wp-content/plugins/wpmu-dev-facebook/lib/external/facebook.php on line 49

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/janua/public_html/wp-content/plugins/wpmu-dev-facebook/lib/external/facebook.php:49) in /home/janua/public_html/wp-content/plugins/sitewide-privacy-options/sitewide-privacy-options.php on line 561

When I try to go to gicleeprintimaging.com it cannot find it because it seems to be looking for the wrong default page:

http://gicleeprintimaging.com/cgi-sys/defaultwebpage.cgi

When I go to giclee.januatechnologies.com it finds the page but with the errors shown above.

When I set a site to use the name servers for my server then I can park the domain and everything works fine. But for the first example above, the name servers are godaddy name servers and there is an A record pointing to the IP of my multisite. Under tools/domain mapping the plugin is able to map the domain and shows that health is valid.

So there is some minor problem here, a setting or what else I don't know. Does that give you any ideas about what could be happening here?

• Danny

Latest update. I go to gicleerprintimaging.com and I get these errors above the actual web page:

Warning: session_start(): open(/tmp/sess_6463ae6928b05f52f3b04f97c893dbcf, O_RDWR) failed: Permission denied (13) in /home/janua/public_html/wp-content/plugins/wpmu-dev-facebook/lib/external/facebook.php on line 49

Warning: session_start(): Cannot send session cache limiter - headers already sent (output started at /home/janua/public_html/wp-content/plugins/wpmu-dev-facebook/lib/external/facebook.php:49) in /home/janua/public_html/wp-content/plugins/wpmu-dev-facebook/lib/external/facebook.php on line 49

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/janua/public_html/wp-content/plugins/wpmu-dev-facebook/lib/external/facebook.php:49) in /home/janua/public_html/wp-content/plugins/sitewide-privacy-options/sitewide-privacy-options.php on line 561

And I get these errors below the actual web page:

Warning: Unknown: open(/tmp/sess_6463ae6928b05f52f3b04f97c893dbcf, O_RDWR) failed: Permission denied (13) in Unknown on line 0

Warning: Unknown: Failed to write session data (files). Please verify that the current setting of session.save_path is correct (/tmp) in Unknown on line 0

When I go to http://www.gicleeprintimaging.com it doesn't display the webpage and I get these errors:

Warning: session_start(): open(/tmp/sess_fefda2ede099df7420ff433f003eb7fd, O_RDWR) failed: Permission denied (13) in /home/janua/public_html/wp-content/plugins/wpmu-dev-facebook/lib/external/facebook.php on line 49

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/janua/public_html/wp-content/plugins/wpmu-dev-facebook/lib/external/facebook.php:49) in /home/janua/public_html/wp-includes/pluggable.php on line 1121

Warning: Unknown: open(/tmp/sess_fefda2ede099df7420ff433f003eb7fd, O_RDWR) failed: Permission denied (13) in Unknown on line 0

Warning: Unknown: Failed to write session data (files). Please verify that the current setting of session.save_path is correct (/tmp) in Unknown on line 0

• Vaughan
    • Support/SLS MockingJay

Hi @Danny,

Warning: Unknown: open(/tmp/sess_fefda2ede099df7420ff433f003eb7fd, O_RDWR) failed: Permission denied (13) in Unknown on line 0

The above, usually means that your domain account owner is unable to write to the servers /tmp folder, either it's not configured properly, there's a permissions error or the /tmp folder is full. You might need to ask your host about that.

Hope this helps

• Vaughan
    • Support/SLS MockingJay

Hi,

Yes, unfortunately. sometimes the garbage collector doesn't run enough to delete the temp files. Glad it's sorted though. :slight_smile:

I'll mark this thread as resolved for now, but should the issue return, feel free to re-open or start a new thread.

Cheers.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.