GridMarket as a child theme for theme other then FrameMarket

I am using a custom theme (not a WPMUDEV theme) with MarketPress. Rather then create a custom template for Marketpress, can I use GridMarket as a child theme to get the basic layout shown in FrameMarket?

• Patrick
    • Support Monkey

Hi natural,

No. Gridmarket must be used with Framemarket. To function properly, a child-theme depends on templates and css from its parent and thus cannot be used with any theme other than the one for which it was designed.

The whole point of using a child-theme is to enable you to customize the heck out of a theme with zero risk of losing those customizations when you update the theme. So as I see it, you have 3 options:

1. Create custom templates for Marketpress.

2. Create a child-theme of the one you are using now, then develop custom css for it.

3. Switch over to Gridmarket.

Hope this helps! :o)

• belikeliquid
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Thanks for the responses!

/// Backstory //

I am not using ThemeMarket/GridMarket, I have a custom child theme, my parent theme is Salutation, which is a complex multisite + buddypress theme (sidenote: it is used on your first showcase https://premium.wpmudev.org/showcase/ iphoneblogger).

The Salutation theme does not use typical WordPress templates, it has its own “layouts” schematic, which is great, but a nose bleed to troubleshoot and customize with plugins such as MarketPress.

// Enter MarketPress //

When I reviewed MarketPress on the ThemeMarket and Gridmarket themes, I thought it would have most of these functions out of the box (as it is the first demo site of MP), ie: a simple grid layout.

Now I know better. So I created a custom style (wp-content/marketpress-styles/store.css) to begin styling my product list as a grid.

// Where Am I Now? //

Where do I customize the html and php for the product content?

For example, I want to remove the product description from the product list. See here http://ephemurl.com/3d/y40

If I display: none via css, it also hides the product thumbnail. There is no <p> or <div> for the text, it is all inside of <div class”mp_product_content”>. I was hoping I could customize the look and feel without the using MP_templatefiles.php (since I would have to hack into Salutation to do that). But it appears I will need to get to the php/html of marketpress in order to skin the product pages.

I appreciate your time in helping me resolve this.

• belikeliquid

Thanks @pcwriter,

I am still unclear on the template usage.

If I create a mp_product.php with copied code from template-functions.php where commented “single product function”

I get this error:

###########

Fatal error: Cannot redeclare mp_product() (previously declared in /public_html/wp-content/plugins/marketpress/marketpress-includes/template-functions.php:1325

###########

• 3SixtyEvolve
    • New Recruit

Hi @natural

Thank you for the cookies, although I don’t think I deserved it yet. I’ll have to work for it now :slight_smile:

First of all, I am glad that you got closer to the end result. I finished on the forums last night before you posted for help, and when I came online this morning I was happy to see that you made some progress.

Now from your latest post, when you’re talking about skinning, do you mean creating the child theme?

I did some searching to try and find any information that might be useful to you, so here are some posts on WPMU.org and a few other websites with useful child theme information.

How to Create a WordPress Child Theme in 3 Steps

Create a FrameMarket Child Theme for your Multisite Network

Create a Child Theme for WordPress in One Click

How to Add Additional Widgets to a TwentyTen Child Theme

How to create a child theme for the Base theme for WordPress

WordPress Child Themes – What, Why & How

Creating a Simple Child Theme Using Twenty Eleven

I hope some of this is useful to you. Consider it weekend reading material :slight_smile:

Now with regards to the plugins that can work with MarketPress. It really all depends on what you want to achieve with your website. If you have any specific ideas in mind for your website, please share it here and we can tell you if it will work or not.

Wish you a good weekend and talk soon again!

Gina

• belikeliquid

Thanks GinaB!

Take a look at my site in progress to get an idea of what I am trying to do:

While the multi-site store will be a primary feature of the site, it is not the only feature. I already have a child theme of Salutation. Unless I create a great grandchild theme that integrates Salutation and Marketpress (which I don’t think is possible) the last option is to build my templates and styles from scratch. There does not seem to be any documentation on how to do this, everything seems to point to ThemePress.

• Patrick
    • Support Monkey

Hi natural,

To build a custom product grid display with no description, take a look at the framemarket_grid_mp_list_products(); function in the Framemarket theme: framemarket/library/functions/marketpress.php

I think you’ll find what you need around line 108.

Hope this helps! :o)

• belikeliquid

Thanks @pcwriter! I will take a look at it.

Most ecommerce plugins I have used have a template file that is called for each layer of the hierarchy (products category, single product page, checkout), this is where you would normally find the php functions and make edits. I am confused by MarketPress template structure, while I can change the wordpress template by creating mp_product.php, where can I make skin edits?

I see some php can be altered in the template-functions.php, but what about single product page?

I want to do a few things to the single product page, for example; remove ‘alignleft’ from the img style and display a grid of related products using product tags.

How can I do this? I seem to be missing something here. This is basic skinning.

You can take a look at my site to see what I am trying to do: http://ephemurl.com/7d/y45

Thanks again!

• Patrick
    • Support Monkey

Hi again natural,

I’ve been playing around with Marketpress and the Gridmarket child-theme to build a network of stores with a central “mall”. You can see an example product page on my project here: http://etcemall.com/store/products/forest-walk/ Many of the things you have described have been implemented there and they require no template edits at all.

The sidebar on the page has a grid of related products, categorized by most recent and bestselling. This is achieved by simply placing a text widget – with marketpress shortcodes – in the sidebar, that only appears on product pages from the “Artwork” category using the Dynamic Widgets plugin: http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/dynamic-widgets/

Skinning is most easily achieved through css added to your theme’s style.css file. If you need any help in that regard, give me a shout… I love futzing around with style puzzles :o)

Hope this helps!

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings natural,

We have not heard back from you as to the status of this issue.

If you are still having an issue please let us know so that we may try to get you fixed up as soon as possible by choosing to check mark this ticket as unresolved below and posting any new errors or symptoms you are noticing.

This action will also bring your ticket up front back in plain view again within the ticket system.

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev member!

Cheers, Joe

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.