>> Group and owner

Good morning,
1. I create manually a folder plugins to test all plugins and suppress the bug and rename the older plugins-old
2. Isuppress plugins-old folder
3. plugins is 755
I try to install a plugin and wordpress say "Failure of installation: Impossible to create the file."
I try with 777 its ok but not secure, what must I do to apply the good group and owner with linux apache and centOS ?
Thank you

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Laurent_C,

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

With 777 permissions set, the owner and group shouldn't be an issue actually. Such permission set is considered extremely insecure because it lets everybody read, write and execute given folder/file. Therefore such folder should be writable and should not generate error.

Usually you would use "chown" command with "www-data" as both user and group but while that's quite a common setup, it may be different on various servers so I'm not 100% sure. However, as I mentioned, with 0777 permission set, folder should be readable, writable and executable for everybody anyway.

I would however like to make sure about one thing. You mentioned that you have renamed the /wp-content/plugins folder to /wp-content/plugins-old. If there's no /wp-content/plugins folder now, the error will come up and you won't be able to install any plugins as that folder will not be automatically created.

Can you please make sure that the "plugins" folder is inside the "wp-content"? If there's only "plugins-old" then you will either want to rename it back to "plugins" or create a new one named "plugins" (it can be empty).

Best regards,
    Adam

• Dimitris

Hey there Laurent_C,

hope you're doing good and don't mind chiming in here! :slight_smile:

You should check that "plugins" folder is having the appropriate owner and group apart from the 755 ownership setting. As my colleague Adam stated above, this may be www-data:www-data in a standard Apache installation but most probably will vary in your end, depending on the actual server setup.
    You can check the remaining file structure of your installation though, like from uploads folder (/wp-content/uploads/) and extract this information from there.
    You should then be able to reset permissions using the chown terminal command as described here: http://askubuntu.com/a/6727

Warm regards,
    Dimitris

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.