Guidance on multisite setup (relative MU newb)

Hi,

I'm very at home with Wordpress but haven't really explored multisite before, so sorry if some of these questions are really obvious.

I want to launch a small number of versions of my site into different countries and test demand for my content and business model overseas. My current main site would be used as a basis for these regional sites, with a lot of common (but slightly localised content) and functionality.

This is what I'd like to accomplish.

Critical:
1. Each country specific site would be using it's own primary tld, not a subdomain
2. Content should be managed in one central install with variant of posts/pages for the different regional sites (all content on the proposed regional sites is English language at this point).
3. Content / content variants should be marked as being available for different regional sites (or not available at all, not all content will be regionalised)
4. Ability to set hreflang tags for each regional site to articulate to search engines that content has alternate versions on different domains
5. Configuration for a number of different plugins different from regional site to site
6. Ability to generally use the same theme, but with some minor regional variations, on all sites

Optional, or to be determined:
- Ability for existing users (I have a several thousand user base using logged in features and content) to log in using the same login on each site (support SSO potentially)
- What options are there for BBpress/Buddypress regionalised versions

Questions I'd love input on...
What combination of plugins and config should I use to achieve some of those requirements?
What other considerations do I need to factor in in my planning?

Thanks in advance!

Keith

• Sajid

Hi @Keith

Hope you are doing good today and welcome to WPMUDEV :slight_smile:

First of all I would suggest you to checkout our The Ultimate Guide to WordPress Multisite article on our blog.
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/ultimate-guide-multisite/

1. Each country specific site would be using it's own primary tld, not a subdomain

Yes you can map submdomian with TLD using our domain mapping plugin.
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/domain-mapping/

2. Content should be managed in one central install with variant of posts/pages for the different regional sites (all content on the proposed regional sites is English language at this point).

I ma not sure if you can share same content on subsites on network. You can use our cloner plugin to clone content on network though.
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/cloner/

However I found following thread that might help you get this done.
    https://wordpress.org/support/topic/sharing-page-content-across-networked-install

3. Content / content variants should be marked as being available for different regional sites (or not available at all, not all content will be regionalised)

Using cloner plugin you can select which post/pages you want to clone.

4. Ability to set hreflang tags for each regional site to articulate to search engines that content has alternate versions on different domains

This can be done with All in One SEO plugin or you can also try using wpml plugin for translation.

5. Configuration for a number of different plugins different from regional site to site

You can activate plugins network wide or individually. Its up to you :slight_smile:

6. Ability to generally use the same theme, but with some minor regional variations, on all sites

If you use one theme for all sites then changes will affect on all sites if in CSS. So if you changed the color of nav items then it will change on entire network. However you can use Simple Custom CSS Plugin for make CSS changes on each site individually.

For changes in template you can also use some conditional tags of wordpress to affect on certain or one site.

- Ability for existing users (I have a several thousand user base using logged in features and content) to log in using the same login on each site (support SSO potentially)

Users registerd on main site can login on any site over network.

- What options are there for BBpress/Buddypress regionalised versions

I am sorry I have not heard of it before but I will keep this ticket open for suggestion from our community.

Hope it all helps :slight_smile:

Cheers, Sajid

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.