I'm very at home with Wordpress but haven't really explored multisite before, so sorry if some of these questions are really obvious.
I want to launch a small number of versions of my site into different countries and test demand for my content and business model overseas. My current main site would be used as a basis for these regional sites, with a lot of common (but slightly localised content) and functionality.
This is what I'd like to accomplish.
1. Each country specific site would be using it's own primary tld, not a subdomain
2. Content should be managed in one central install with variant of posts/pages for the different regional sites (all content on the proposed regional sites is English language at this point).
3. Content / content variants should be marked as being available for different regional sites (or not available at all, not all content will be regionalised)
4. Ability to set hreflang tags for each regional site to articulate to search engines that content has alternate versions on different domains
5. Configuration for a number of different plugins different from regional site to site
6. Ability to generally use the same theme, but with some minor regional variations, on all sites
Optional, or to be determined:
- Ability for existing users (I have a several thousand user base using logged in features and content) to log in using the same login on each site (support SSO potentially)
- What options are there for BBpress/Buddypress regionalised versions
Questions I'd love input on...
What combination of plugins and config should I use to achieve some of those requirements?
What other considerations do I need to factor in in my planning?
Thanks in advance!