[Guide] Updated Ultimate Facebook Plugin For 2014

So I just installed the Ultimate Facebook Plugin and tried to follow both guides linked but FB has switched their layout again and it left me scratching my head. Fortunately I figured it out and wanted to help donate some screen shots to help anyone else new to all of this. If there is a better way or place to do this I apologize in advance :slight_smile:

1) https://developers.facebook.com/apps

Register & Choose To Create An App

2) Choose an app name (it can be anything) and a category

3) Copy your App ID & App Secret (hit show first) into your WP dashboard fields.

4) Choose “Settings” on the left hand side.

– Type your website address into “App Domains”

– Update your contact email from your fb login to your customer service email (if you have one)

5) Choose “+ Add Platform” then “Website”

– Site URL – this should be the same as “App Domains” … the website this is for

– Mobile Site URL: unless you have a m.yourdomain.com leave this blank

– Hit Save Changes

6) App Details on the left hand sidebar

– All the top fileds are optional

– Choose “App Center Listed Platforms” in the center and turn website to “yes”

– I recommend uploading a logo and icon

– Scroll down and save changes

7) Status & Review in sidebar

– turn on “yes” in the top right hand corner, hit confirm

– go back to your WP page, make sure the App ID & Secret Key are filled in and hit save.

• NetPotion
    • The Incredible Code Injector

I think it’s ridiculous that a person has to click a link from the admin of this plugin, then click another link, then another, then get a tutorial from an unpaid user.

Sorry, but there – I said it.

Thank you for the tutorial Blake Howard. It’s nice that somebody took the time to do it.

• Timothy
    • Chief Pigeon

Hey @netpotion

It’s why we have an awesome community of members that can share community spirit just like the awesome Blake Howard has done here. He’ll get some points for this too! :slight_smile:

Unfortunately third party services are out of our control, they don’t alert us when they change their system so the first we know is when issues arise or some awesome person shares a tutorial. Our tutorials should only cover our own stuff, so really we should just link you to Facebook docs and then you can read up. Instead we do try to make it as super easy as possible with our own, we’ve even done videos to help.

Here are the Facebook Docs for using their system:

https://developers.facebook.com/docs/

Trying to make sense of those can often be frustrating so we do our best to make it easy for you. Would you rather us just link to Facebooks docs?

Think of this in the same way that would any theme or plugin, you wouldn’t expect them all to tell you each time how to install WordPress, configure it, and then activate the plugin.

Thanks for your feedback though.

And thanks @blake Howard for your awesome contribution. I hope everyone who this helps will throw some points at ya :slight_smile:

Take care

• NetPotion

The instructions aren’t exactly correct. I considered mentioning that fact until I received the interesting response I received.

Really, you’re on your own. As Timothy said – you can read through the documentation at https://developers.facebook.com/docs/ and see if you can figure it out for yourself.

Or you can contact me and I can try to remember how I got this to actually work.

BTW – Congratulations on even finding your way to this thread. I know how enjoyable it was for me to track the final version of the documentation down (provided by a paying member) – and then figure out what was wrong with it – then get scolded via snark.

I would be out of business in a day if I did that to my clients, but I digress.

~ Corey

• NetPotion

If you go to YouTube and look up the video for the instructions you’ll be even more frustrated. It hadn’t been updated in quite some time the last I viewed it.

Obviously I believe having NO video would be better than leaving up out of date instructions, but what do I know?

• Timothy
    • Chief Pigeon

Hey @man

If you’re stuck then please open up your own thread here:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/#question

We’ll be more than happy to assist you, if needed we are also more than happy to take the stress off you and login to take a closer look for you. We may need access to your FB app to do this (you can do this in the App).

Looking forward to helping you resolve this quickly :slight_smile:

Hey @netpotion

I don’t see how you were scolded with snark, quite the contrary I was simply stating facts that Facebook continually change how their system works, moving their settings around, etc. Sometimes the first we learn of this is when a customer points this out.

Ultimately the responsibility for third party systems like Facebook is not ours, they’re out of our control.

I’m sorry if you chose to take that as being snarky, it certainly wasn’t the intent I had.

If you’re stuck and don’t know how to figure it out then please feel free to open your own ticket and we’ll happily assist you. As mentioned above, we’re also more than happy to login and figure everything out for you if its something you’re unable to.

Have a great weekend.

• Remington
    • New Recruit

Blake, thank you for your documentation. The Ultimate Facebook Plugin would not accept my API settings until I made the app publicly available from the “Status & Review” tab.

This is a major step that other documentation fails to mention.

Thanks for the write-up.

• Blake Howard
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Thanks for the kudos – I have intentionally stayed out of this thread war thus far, because as most of us have found out Facebook changes their forms and design on a regular basis. If there was an easier way to update these files I would be happy to keep it and other guides more up to date, but at the moment the amount of staff work it took to get it here was pretty substantial and I don’t want to fragment the process any more without major revisions.

• Evan
    • New Recruit

For the admins here: The plugin itself needs to be updated. in the very first section, a new user hit the “Facebook API” and it sends you to a very old link as a guide. The pictures don’t even open anymore. You should at least revise the plugin with new links to THIS thread… it took pains to find it! : )

• Momekh
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Yeah so still not working.

Expectations from support are high. That is a good thing.

This is the second plugin I downloaded after buying the membership. Day 1. I am easy to please I promise. But tell me how to make this work. Still won’t connect on the Settings page.

Facebook keeps changing, yes. But how do I connect your plugin to Facebook?

• Blake Howard
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Due to the high visibility of this thread, and the massive overhauls of the Facebook process I will redesign this guide from start to finish this week.

Momekh, welcome to the WPMU DEV family – hang tough. Some of the functionality is truly plug and play, but many features are a lot more intricate. The purpose of the all in one plugin is to streamline processes, but when configuring individual user data it sometimes falls outside the scope of the development process. I am no way affiliated with the official team, but as a user I am very happy with the product once I got over the initial hump – and I think you will too. Give me a few days and I’ll make this guide exactly what you need it to be.

• Blake Howard
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Vinod – I’ve finished recording the newest guide, can you allow me to replace what is at the top of this thread (edit my original post) or should I make a new one? Also the UFP links to Kimberly’s tutorial and it is so outdated that the images aren’t even hosted anymore, you might want to see if it can get linked to this newest version.

• mindset
    • The Crimson Coder

Thanks for the update – I wanted to stand up for the wpmudev team though. Even though I get irritated at you guys from time to time, I am grateful to god every day that I found you guys. I struggled for years with wordpress without the ability to get help. You guys (men and women) so don’t call me sexist in this ridiculously politically correct world — are always there, and you respond in a very timely time frame in most cases.

You keep up to date 100’s of themes and plugins — and your documentation thought lacking in some areas are the best documentation on the net — and I am confident that the FB directions will be updated also.

One thing would help though — if you dated the instruction updates — I searched for quite awhile and found several changes from the original one — but did not know which one was the newest, and I am pretty positive that I did not find this one.

So I give you guys a lot of credit for everything you do — and the tens of thousands of dollars you have saved me in lost production time —

The gentleman who was so harsh, obviously has not been a member long to learn how awesome you guys are.

Thanks again for everything

• Michael Bissett
    • Recruit

Hey @mindset, thanks in return for the feedback, we’re glad to have you here as a member! :slight_smile:

We’re human, so mistakes can (and do) happen, but we definitely try our best to serve everyone here in the community. As Tim mentioned much earlier in this thread, regarding the Facebook changes, we can’t predict what they’re going to do, and sometimes the first we learn of a change is when a member here points this out to us.

It’s definitely helpful when we get word of a hiccup like this, and it’s especially helpful when members contribute as @blake Howard has done here (even to the extent of providing a video tutorial, which is awesome!)

On this:

One thing would help though — if you dated the instruction updates — I searched for quite awhile and found several changes from the original one — but did not know which one was the newest, and I am pretty positive that I did not find this one.

We don’t usually do this, due to the fact that we usually have the usage information for a product inside of the product page, like this:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/ultimate-facebook/#usage

However, it’s definitely an idea that can be considered, I’ll bring this up to our docs team. :slight_smile:

Hope you’re doing well today, and thanks for being a member here!

Kind Regards,

Michael

• Josef Cook
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Can’t tell if this is the most recent iteration of this thread, but I have a quick question regarding Ultimate Facebook.

I have created my Facebook app using a subdomain URL: http://firstsite.mydomain.com

The plugin is working as expected with that setting.

I have now mapped a domain using WPMUDEV’s Domain Mapping plugin, and made the mapped domain the primary.

Should I update my Facebook plugin to reflect the primary domain as the Facebook App’s “Site URL”? Should I leave it as is? Is there a difference?

Any guidance would be most appreciated, as I have several client websites that I will need to apply the same setup to.

Thanks in advance,

Josef

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.