GZIP Compression is not working

Hi. I have tried to activate GZIP Compression on complete-it.co.uk and am having some issues. It only seems to pass two of the three tests. I have done what is suggested in the help box but this doesn't seem to help. Could you possibly help me to resolve the issue?

I have granted you access to the site in case you want to take a look.

Thanks

Allan

• Predrag Dubajic

Hey Allan,

Hope you're doing well today :slight_smile:

There are couple of things you could check/try here and I would suggest starting with conducting plugin conflict test by disabling your other plugins and see if it works after that.

If that doesn't work can you check if you have any server side caching and try clearing it up?

You should also check if your PHP is configured to support zlib output, to do this make sure that you have this line in your php.ini file:
    zlib.output_compression = On

One more thing you could do is check with your host if all MIME types can be handled by mod_deflate.

Last thing if none of the above works is to try adding this code to your .htaccess file and see if it works after that:

<ifModule mod_deflate.c>
    <FilesMatch "\.(css|js|x?html?|php)$">
    SetOutputFilter DEFLATE
    </FilesMatch>
    </ifModule>

Let us know how it goes.

Best regards,
    Predrag

• allanlove

Thanks Predrag

I have tried the plugin conflict test and that wasn't the answer. I also tried the php.ini file and the update to the .htaccess file but they didn't work either. I have asked the client to get in touch with their hosting provider for the other bits you mention.

Is there any way you can tell what type of server the site is running on? Is it Apache or is it NGINX?

Thanks again

Allan

• Dimitris

Hey there allanlove,

hope you're doing good and don't mind chiming in! :slight_smile:

I have tried the plugin conflict test and that wasn't the answer. I also tried the php.ini file and the update to the .htaccess file but they didn't work either. I have asked the client to get in touch with their hosting provider for the other bits you mention.

It seems that this denial for GZIPping HTML files comes from the server side so we should wait for their insights on this.

Is there any way you can tell what type of server the site is running on? Is it Apache or is it NGINX?

Through WPMUDEV Dashboard plugin
    /wp-admin/admin.php?page=wpmudev-support&view=system#tab-server

and through hummingBird GZIP settings
    /wp-admin/admin.php?page=wphb-gzip

we can see that current server type is Apache. :wink:

Warm regards,
    Dimitris

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.