GZIP compression not working

Hi, I have a few sites hosted on the same VPS and have installed hummingbird. The GZIP compression is not working on one of the sites but it is fine on the others. They all have the same deflate settings.

I’m getting this error for HTML files:

Your server may not have the “deflate” module enabled (mod_deflate for Apache, ngx_http_gzip_module for NGINX)

The CSS and JS compression still seem to work. Any ideas?

Thanks

Chris

• Predrag Dubajic
    • Support

Hi Chris,

Thanks for granting access, I had a look at your site and indeed the issue seems specific only to HTML compression.

This usually means that the deflate module is active, since other two are working, but that the server itself has some predefined values and doesn’t allow those to be changed via .htaccess rules which are added by Hummingbird.

So the first thing to check is the server settings and how it handles compress.

Other thing that could be causing this is one of the other plugins you have on your site, now I did look at your active ones and didn’t see any that screams “I’m messing up compression” but that doesn’t mean it’s not the case.

It would be worth checking if that’s the case and you can do that by disabling your other plugins and then re-checking the GZIP compression status in Hummingbird.

Let us know how it goes.

Best regards,

Predrag

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.