Gzip compression not working properly

Something appears to be interfering with Gzip Compression. We have checked to ensure that the required modules are indeed enabled on the server, and have double-checked php.ini & .user.ini files to ensure the correct rules are present.

But while https://checkgzipcompression.com/ confirms Gzip is indeed enabled on the site, GTMetrix does not see it as enabled. For example, I have added a robots.txt file with the sitemap.xml URL in it to action the Robots.txt recommendation in SmartCrawl, but a fresh SEO Checkup scan still does not reflect that.

All caches have been cleared before each attempt at a fresh scan, and plugin conflict test performed twice.

We are especially concerned with category archives that are extremely slow to load. Most taxonomies seem to load normally (subcategories, product listings, pages) but our 4 parent cat pages: CNC Mill, CNC Lathe, Fabrication and Other Machines take upwards of 90 seconds to load

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Matthew

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

Let me "split" the issue into three separate issues as they are not necessarily connected.

1. The GZIP compression

I've checked the site and it seems to be compressed. The HTML, CSS and JS resources - those served from your site - do return correct HTTP headers that suggest they are GZIP compressed.
    The PageSpeed Insights tests suggest compression but it lists resources that are 3rd-party (YouTube and some CloudFront-served JS) and unless these resources are "localized" there's no way to enable/disable compression for them. But I'm honestly not sure if trying to "localize" (to make them being served from your server directly) is worth any effort as it will not make much of a difference in speed.

The GTMetrix reports the same resources.

Both of them, as a third resource, report also the homepage (as in "HTML doc", not as in "entire page and it's all assets) but I'm not yet sure why and I'd need to investigate this as well as I'd need to check if/why Hummingbird is reporting it as disabled (if it is).

2. The robots.txt file and a reference to the sitemap there

I'd need to take a closer look at the site to check it

3. The very long loading of some pages

While GZIP compression helps with loading speed, it will not (especially that it is actually working) reduce loading time that much to see a significant difference in case of such a long time. Such a long time must be caused by some other reasons and that's another thing that I'd need to investigate.

However, I'm not able to access the site. There's some sort of GoDaddy's firewall enabled that blocks me from accessing the site, so I can't login. Whitelisting an IP might help temporarily but I cannot guarantee it as I'm not using a static (fixed) IP and it might change at anytime (the same applies to most of my colleagues here). The cPanel credentials that you shared during the chat are not working either - no access with "invalid login or password" issue.

That said, would you be able to:

- temporarily disable the firewall that's blocking access (or provide a way to overcome it e.g. via some special link)?

- provide me with a working credentials for a full access to the site?

Note: Don't leave your login details in this ticket.
    Instead, you can send us your details using our contact form https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/#i-have-a-different-question and the template below:

Subject: "Attn: Adam Czajczyk"
    - Site login URL
    - WordPress admin username
    - WordPress admin password
    - FTP credentials (host/username/password)
    - cPanel credentials (host/username/password)
    - Folder path to site in question
    - Link back to this thread for reference
    - Any other relevant urls/info

I'd then check the site and server in details to find out how we could solve the issues/improve speed.

Best regards,
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.