GZIP COMPRESSION: text/javascript, text/css

Hi:

I recently installed Hummingbird and turned on GZIP COMPRESSION. I'm using Apache. I'm getting disabled on both text/javascript and text/css and can't figure out what's wrong.

My site is at http://entradahealth.com - I have granted Support Access.

Can you help? Thanks in advance.

--

Chase

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Chase,

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

I've accessed and checked your site and it seems that the Apache on your server is not configured to support gzip compression for "text/javascript" and "text/css" mime types.

There are three typical scenarios for gzip compression:

1. Compression is setup on server level

Apache is configured to support gzip compression for all three mime types and is "hard set" to automatically implement compression on site; in such case Hummingbird simply informs you of compression status and does nothing more (there's no need to do anything)

2. Compression is possible but not enabled

Apache is configured to support compression for all these three mime types but it's not enabled by default; Hummingbird enables it;

3. Compression is not possible

Apache is configured not to provide compression for all or some of these mime types. If any compression is possible (e.g. for "text/html") Hummingbird enables it but that's all that's possible to be done on that level.

This seems to be that case. If you got an access to Apache configuration, please go to the "Hummingbird -> GZIP Compression" page and select "Apache" from the drop-down box in an "Enable GZIP" section, then follow the guide there. If you're on VPS or a dedicated server you should be able to apply these changes and it should solve the issue.

If you're however hosting the site on a shared hosting account, you will want to get in touch with your hosting provide and ask them if they could enable GZIP compression for "text/javascript" and "text/css" for you. That's because a change in Apache configuration would be necessary.

Best regards,
    Adam