Gzip Compression - Your server may not have the "deflate" module enabled

Hello,

I have this problem from a while, I have tested the Hummingbird plugin on 3 different servers and same result, after a cPanel update I have noticed this problem.

Thank you.

Gzip is not working properly:

- Your server may not have the "deflate" module enabled (mod_deflate for Apache, ngx_http_gzip_module for NGINX).
- Contact your host. If deflate is enabled, ask why all .htaccess or nginx.conf compression rules are not being applied.

If re-checking and restarting does not resolve, please check with your host or open a support ticket with us.

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi Andrew,

Hope you're doing well.

Hummingbird uses .htaccess or nginx.conf (depending if you're on Apache or NGINX) rules in order to enable GZIP compression on your site, however these rules require your server to have "deflate" module active in order to work.

There's also an issue on some hosting providers where they are defining their GZIP rules and prevent these changes to be made via .htaccess.

Could you get in touch with your host and check if the "deflate" module is active, and if it is ask them if they have any limits to changes to GZIP Compression, and if they do ask them to set the recommended values from Hummingbird or at least allow these changes to be made via .htaccess rules.

Let us know how it goes.

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Andrew

Hi, Predrag

Thank for the reply.

I'm doing the hosting by my self, I have one Amazon EC2 and a dedicated server in another part, on both servers everything was working fine before tha cPanel update or is possible the last update ok Hummingbird to cause something, just HTML GZIP is "inactive" , JavaScript & CSS are "Active", this is happing on both servers, I have the server configured properly, GZIP Commpresion was working fine before and I didn't touch the servers configurations.

Loaded Modules:
    core_module (static)
    so_module (static)
    http_module (static)
    mpm_prefork_module (shared)
    cgi_module (shared)
    access_compat_module (shared)
    actions_module (shared)
    alias_module (shared)
    asis_module (shared)
    auth_basic_module (shared)
    authn_core_module (shared)
    authn_anon_module (shared)
    authn_file_module (shared)
    authn_socache_module (shared)
    authz_core_module (shared)
    authz_groupfile_module (shared)
    authz_host_module (shared)
    authz_user_module (shared)
    autoindex_module (shared)

deflate_module (shared)

dir_module (shared)
    env_module (shared)
    expires_module (shared)
    filter_module (shared)
    headers_module (shared)
    imagemap_module (shared)
    include_module (shared)
    log_config_module (shared)
    logio_module (shared)
    mime_module (shared)
    mime_magic_module (shared)
    negotiation_module (shared)
    proxy_module (shared)
    proxy_fcgi_module (shared)
    proxy_http_module (shared)
    proxy_wstunnel_module (shared)
    remoteip_module (shared)
    rewrite_module (shared)
    setenvif_module (shared)
    slotmem_shm_module (shared)
    socache_dbm_module (shared)
    socache_memcache_module (shared)
    socache_shmcb_module (shared)
    status_module (shared)
    unique_id_module (shared)
    unixd_module (shared)
    userdir_module (shared)
    version_module (shared)
    ssl_module (shared)
    bwlimited_module (shared)
    security2_module (shared)
    ruid2_module (shared)

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi Andrew,

This shouldn't be related to Hummingbird update because the plugin itself is not handling compression, it just adds required GZIP rules in .htaccess (Apache) or provides with code to be added in nginx.conf (NGINX).

So when the plugin is updated it doesn't affect these rules that are already added to your .htaccess/nginx.conf and has no effect on the existing GZIP rules.

As you updated cPanel at that time as well it's probably something changed in the cPanel settings that's causing this.

Can you check your settings as explained in this guide and see if that was changed during the update of cPanel:
    https://tecadmin.net/enable-apache-gzip-compression-mod_deflate-cpanel-account/

Best regards,
    Predrag

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.